Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Rumours Rumours - Summer 2021 edition (Deadline Day from p814)

Comments

• Couldn't agree more, Callum & Gravesend. We do have a really special club in that regard. I bet Tracey put a welcoming arm around Charlie Kirk too after his sad loss. Not to mention all the past players that keep coming back appearing on Charlton TV and the like. I was wondering does any other club have such a warm welcoming fantastic set as Charlton.
  • People saying that Purrington is not a marauding speedy full back well neither is Matthews & he doesn’t get the same criticism at all. What we do have Imo is two solid league one fullbacks!   
    Bingo!
  • Sponsored links:

• Maccn05 said:
    Tracey said “my boy’s coming home”. About a player who was on loan to us for a few months. Incredible stuff to be honest. She is what good clubs are built on. 
    When I spoke to Tracey last year she mentioned she’d had a soft spot for Leko. Think they had him over for dinner, looked after him etc.

She’s an absolute diamond that lady ♥️
    Yes that’s what she said to me when I met her a few months ago. She’s absolutely brilliant.
  • shine166 said:
    Scoham said:
    Without looking, I bet people are still moaning. 
    Yea. The cringe factor of her asking this on such an open medium is that there will be many twatty replies too...
  • DiscoCAFC said:
    Maccn05 said:
    Tracey said “my boy’s coming home”. About a player who was on loan to us for a few months. Incredible stuff to be honest. She is what good clubs are built on. 
    When I spoke to Tracey last year she mentioned she’d had a soft spot for Leko. Think they had him over for dinner, looked after him etc.

She’s an absolute diamond that lady ♥️
    Yes that’s what she said to me when I met her a few months ago. She’s absolutely brilliant.
    Am I the only one that she hasn't spoken with?

What's wrong with me? 
    When I spoke to her she said  "why does @TellyTubby never speak to me" 😂

I'm told we might see more clips 
  • Scoham said:
    Which would back up the fact that I think a lot of clubs at our level were at the mercy of the unpredictability of the window, just like us, and perhaps had to change plans from the prospects they wanted earlier on
  • Sponsored links:

• That’s a fairly meaningless stat with respect  - the meaningful comparison would be with previous deadline days not other days during the window. We know clubs sign more players on deadline day. It doesn’t tell you whether this window was different from any other.
    Do we? Because I swear I read many posts from different users complaining about how we were 'scrambling around at the last minute' for signings.

When in reality what was close to what normally happens in a transfer window happened. 
    Both things are true. The players we signed were probably always on our list but they weren’t necessarily anywhere near the top. It doesn’t preclude them doing well but it is still a scramble.
  • That’s a fairly meaningless stat with respect  - the meaningful comparison would be with previous deadline days not other days during the window. We know clubs sign more players on deadline day. It doesn’t tell you whether this window was different from any other.
    Do we? Because I swear I read many posts from different users complaining about how we were 'scrambling around at the last minute' for signings.

When in reality what was close to what normally happens in a transfer window happened. 
    Both things are true. The players we signed were probably always on our list but they weren’t necessarily anywhere near the top. It doesn’t preclude them doing well but it is still a scramble.
    I agree it was a scramble, but I don’t think it’s much different for the majority of clubs now (I say think as I have no evidence).  Bar that season Powell got the Jenkinson money and Cash was our benefactor, I think every other window with the exception of RD’s first full one, has been ducking and diving.

That RD summer when we brought in Bergdych etc seemed well executed, until the majority of them went south.  You could argue this one was more ducking and diving than others and hence more of a scramble, but I wouldn’t know how to compare it to others as I’m not behind the scenes 

I guess you can say they should’ve made a better job of it given TS’ statements of intent, but I think it’s part not executing properly, part not being set up in the right way, part at the mercy of the market and part understanding how the remnants and the effect Covid has had on the market.

I give the whole window a thumbs up, but a choppy journey and hopefully lessons have been learnt 

It will be interesting to compare to the likes of Ipswich who have brought in 18 players and our other promotion rivals as the season plays out.  A good indicator of how much of scramble it has been is the amount of viable first team midfielders we have on our books.  I think it’s too many (I know some are loans), however the amount would seem to suggest that’s where it’s gone a bit awry 

Yeah indeed. Hard to tell really - did we make early enquiries about Leko but were only told we would get him if Birmingham brought in another striker and there were no championship loan options for him. - meaning we had to wait until late. Or did we exhaust other options in that area or was he was lucky enough to become avaliable on the day. 

I don't necessarily buy the narrative that getting 2 players in on deadline day (Arter was already pretty much done the weekend before), and both who don't necessarily seem like traditional panic buys and should be decent quality means we were scrambling about. They are not bottom of the barrel signings at all.

But then again there does seem to have been a shift in the type of player we were after, after Dobson and Clare. 
  • What did surprise me is with many having taken out government loans there was a strong suggestion of a potential fire sale at a large number of EFL clubs and that many would need to sell a player before the window closed, probably at lower value.

I didn’t see as many instances of that happening as I thought I would
    Absolutely, the amount of times I read on here that Gills had a loan to repay and we're stuffed yet they reportedly turned down multiple offers on the 31st for Oliver, Dempsey and Tucker whilst bringing one young lad in on loan...doesn't scream of a club in dire straights.
  • edited September 2021
    cabbles said:
    That’s a fairly meaningless stat with respect  - the meaningful comparison would be with previous deadline days not other days during the window. We know clubs sign more players on deadline day. It doesn’t tell you whether this window was different from any other.

I agree it was a scramble, but I don’t think it’s much different for the majority of clubs now (I say think as I have no evidence).  Bar that season Powell got the Jenkinson money and Cash was our benefactor, I think every other window with the exception of RD’s first full one, has been ducking and diving.

That RD summer when we brought in Bergdych etc seemed well executed, until the majority of them went south.  You could argue this one was more ducking and diving than others and hence more of a scramble, but I wouldn’t know how to compare it to others as I’m not behind the scenes 

I guess you can say they should’ve made a better job of it given TS’ statements of intent, but I think it’s part not executing properly, part not being set up in the right way, part at the mercy of the market and part understanding how the remnants and the effect Covid has had on the market.

I give the whole window a thumbs up, but a choppy journey and hopefully lessons have been learnt 

It will be interesting to compare to the likes of Ipswich who have brought in 18 players and our other promotion rivals as the season plays out.  A good indicator of how much of scramble it has been is the amount of viable first team midfielders we have on our books.  I think it’s too many (I know some are loans), however the amount would seem to suggest that’s where it’s gone a bit awry 
    It’s really not the case that there was a financial splurge in 2011. We did spend the Davison money but fees were probably less than we’ve spent this year. The wages budget was reduced by the spivs that year and the only reason it is higher in the accounts is because promotion bonuses were paid.

RD spent decent money, certainly in 2014-2016. He just bought far too many of the wrong players and appointed the wrong managers to oversee them.
  • What did surprise me is with many having taken out government loans there was a strong suggestion of a potential fire sale at a large number of EFL clubs and that many would need to sell a player before the window closed, probably at lower value.

Absolutely, the amount of times I read on here that Gills had a loan to repay and we're stuffed yet they reportedly turned down multiple offers on the 31st for Oliver, Dempsey and Tucker whilst bringing one young lad in on loan...doesn't scream of a club in dire straights.
    It appears they have settled their debts to HMRC but still haven't repaid the monitored loan

https://www.efl.com/-more/governance/embargoes/
  • cabbles said:
    That’s a fairly meaningless stat with respect  - the meaningful comparison would be with previous deadline days not other days during the window. We know clubs sign more players on deadline day. It doesn’t tell you whether this window was different from any other.

It’s really not the case that there was a financial splurge in 2011. We did spend the Davison money but fees were probably less than we’ve spent this year. The wages budget was reduced by the spivs and the only reason it is higher in the accounts is because promotion bonuses were paid.

RD spent decent money, certainly in 2014-2016. He just bought far too many of the wrong players.
    Did it also help getting rid of high earners like Semedo and Racon off the wage bill and replacing them with better players on less money
  • edited September 2021
    JohnnyH2 said:
    cabbles said:

It’s really not the case that there was a financial splurge in 2011. We did spend the Davison money but fees were probably less than we’ve spent this year. The wages budget was reduced by the spivs and the only reason it is higher in the accounts is because promotion bonuses were paid.

RD spent decent money, certainly in 2014-2016. He just bought far too many of the wrong players.
    Did it also help getting rid of high earners like Semedo and Racon off the wage bill and replacing them with better players on less money
    The wages budget was better spent, no question, but that was true across the squad. What I’m saying is that it’s a myth there was a big Cash injection in 2011 which funded promotion. What did happen was borrowing to fund the operating loss which would mostly have been there regardless.

The majority of signings were free transfers (no doubt with signing-on fees) and 12 were in by July 12th, two more on August 1st. Leon Cort and Michael Smith were the only ones around deadline and Yann was as a free agent in September.

Agreed, there was talk of the divisions being full of teams in desperate financial straits, and that the clubs with money would be able to pick them off. I still wonder what will happen in January though, as there will be a number of players then with 6 months on their contract
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!