Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Rumours Rumours - Summer 2021 edition (Deadline Day from p814)

Comments

• JamesSeed said:
    Valley11 said:
    Leko is a weird one.
    Kirk, DJ, CBT, Clayden. Do we need another winger?
    Imo......No.
    But you've been calling for a pacey striker? Leko scored 1 in 4 for us in the Champ and let's be honest, we wasn't a particularly good side who created loads of chances each game. 
    My concern is in the 65 games he’s played for other teams  - including his last 38 for Birmingham - he’s scored exactly zero goals. 
    Scores at The Valley, he only scores at The Valley,
    Scores at The Valley, he only scores at The Valley!
    See, he’s got a ready made song an’ all. 👍⚽️
    That’s quality 👍⚽️
  • The club hasn’t said our business is finished yet. 

They usually tell us when they’re signing off
  • Good window, good squad.
    congrats Recruitment team, NA and TS.
    Automatic promotion here we come.
    COYR
    Why is this liked so much?
    Good window my arse 
    I think it is has now been a good window.
    It hadn't been when the season started.
    We are in the promotion race and anyone that thinks otherwise is simply unhappy for other reasons, nothing to do with Charlton. COYR & thanks to Thomas Sandgaard & the team. 
    Personally I think this view is massively skewed by us winning on Sat. Suspect you (and others) would be saying very different had we played bad on Sat and lost. 
    And the win against a poor Crawley side tonight
  • WSS said:
    Football is a squad game more than ever nowadays and we must have one of the best in the league. Other than at LB obviously.

Tentatively optimistic.
    Short up front too I think. But midfield looks set, if Arter is still decent.
  • Overall a decent enough window if a bit unbalanced.
    Kirk, Lee and Lavelle all in the exciting category.
    Stockley and Akin the best of last season returning. 
    CMc looking good and Dobson played well tonight.
    Jury still out on Clare and same for Arter for all the reasons discussed on here.
    The biggest concern, and why this recruitment feels a bit odd, is not replacing Aneke with a goalscorer. If Stockley gets crocked then it’s on Josh D to step up and, tbf, he played superbly tonight. 
    Here’s hoping Purrington gets and stays fit. 
  • Cawley confirms we’re done for the evening.
  • edited August 2021
    The club hasn’t said our business is finished yet. 

They usually tell us when they’re signing off
  • Job well done in my eyes. Yea a LB would of been decent of course but there is still time to sort that out.! 7/1 for Promotion on SkyBet looks a bit tasty now.! ⚽️🔴⚪️
  • Sponsored links:

• So initial reactions, of the three today (Arter, Lavelle, Leko), what one are you most pleased about?
  • Redhenry said:
    Don't think Lavelle is back up, either playing three at back or Iniss can only play 15/20 games a season
    We have depth at CB which was an issue last season. We don’t have to decide now who is first choice alongside Famewo.

No chance we’re playing three at the back, we have three full backs and none of them could be described as wing backs or having pace. 

We also have four wingers who would only fit that formation if we play 3-4-3.
  • MacGilllivray
    Matthews Inniss Famewo Purrington
    Clare Arter
    DJ Lee Kirk
    Stockley

Looks a very good XI to me. Second XI of:

Harness (emergency loan if needed)
    Gunter Lavelle Pearce Roddy
    Morgan Dobson
    CBT Gilbey Leko
    Washington

Plus Watson, Davison and Schwartz. I don't think we'll run away with the league but it looks reasonably strong. There is an obvious weakness but I doubt many League 1 sides can genuinely say they don't have a position or two that looks weak. 

And Elerewe. 
  • JamesSeed said:
    Valley11 said:
    Leko is a weird one.
    Kirk, DJ, CBT, Clayden. Do we need another winger?
    Imo......No.
    But you've been calling for a pacey striker? Leko scored 1 in 4 for us in the Champ and let's be honest, we wasn't a particularly good side who created loads of chances each game. 
    My concern is in the 65 games he’s played for other teams  - including his last 38 for Birmingham - he’s scored exactly zero goals. 
    Scores at The Valley, he only scores at The Valley,
    Scores at The Valley, he only scores at The Valley!
    See, he’s got a ready made song an’ all. 👍⚽️
    That’s quality 👍⚽️
    Except he scored at the Madjeski 😂
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Good window, good squad.
    COYR
    Good window my arse 
    We are in the promotion race and anyone that thinks otherwise is simply unhappy for other reasons, nothing to do with Charlton. COYR & thanks to Thomas Sandgaard & the team. 
    Personally I think this view is massively skewed by us winning on Sat. Suspect you (and others) would be saying very different had we played bad on Sat and lost. 
    You don't think Lee, Arter and Leko aren't very good signings?  Noticeable there are no Levitt/Smith type loans this window. 
    That’s not what I said though!
    You said it's skewed by winning Saturday.  We have improved the squad considerably since then.  Or have I miss understood? 
  • Cawley confirms we’re done for the evening.
    Incomings yeah but I wouldn’t be surprised to hear something on Schwartz
    COYR
    Good window my arse 
    Somebody call Golfie, misery just got a new sheriff 
    Harsh mate but good one
  • The comms team are busy creating a new signing video titled "it would be criminal not to bring in a left back" to announce Lee Brown.
  • So initial reactions, of the three today (Arter, Lavelle, Leko), what one are you most pleased about?
    Lavelle, but that might change if the other two really warm to it
  • Sponsored links:

Difficult to say, on the one hand, we've added depth to the squad, and 2 of the 3 are "names". 

However, on the other side, those 2 names have been injured and out of form recently, and on their way down the ladder, and the 3rd is unproven at this level.

We need a left back by hook or by crook still, but at least we have enough players to field a full senior team
    COYR
    Good window my arse 
    But we didn’t. That’s the point. 
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Good window, good squad.
    COYR
    Good window my arse 
    You don't think Lee, Arter and Leko aren't very good signings?  Noticeable there are no Levitt/Smith type loans this window. 
    That’s not what I said though!
    But we didn't lose on Saturday, at least in part because Adkins/Gallen/Sandgaard/whoever all knew just as well as we did that there were some serious weaknesses needing addressing. With the exception of LB those weaknesses have now been addressed - how successfully we don't know yet but at least TPTB aren't deluding themselves that they were right all along.
    Most pleased about Lavelle but most excited by Leko. 
  • Sage said:
    The signings today have been strong.

Arter has real quality and I think he will really want to show everyone he has got it. To be prepared to drop to League One says he wants to play and get back to a good level of form.

Lavelle I know nothing about. However, signing a captain from another team in our league, where reports are he’s strong and can play a bit, he’s at a good age and should be coachable, I’d take that. Good luck to him.

Leko is the wildcard we knew about before. If he can produce the moments of magic he did in The Championship, he’ll be class for us in League One. I actually think he was a big factor in us eventually being relegated that season. He never got replaced, and neither did Gallagher. But Leko done well for us and should link up nicely with Stockley. Unfinished business that’s for sure. Cheers Bow.

My main concern is now left back. It’s putting huge pressure on Purrington to be fit and firing quickly. To. It being in a left back is poor to be honest. Not replacing Aneke is shocking but don’t want to cover that now as Leko signing slightly papers over the cracks. Not signing an attacking left back is far, far from ideal. I now hope that there is a left back that is a free agent that can come in and do a good job for us because if we want to get the best out of players like Kirk, we need to allow these players the tools and platform to perform. I actually think Purrington and Kirk could work well. But it’s not good going into the season until January with only Purrington who is not yet fit.

Overall, I think we have got in some very good players over the last 10-14 days. We are still short and some bits do concern me, but the quality of player coming in recently seen far stronger than the quality in the early to middle part of the window.
    Most fans have saying LB is an issue.
    Find it worrying that all the expertise at the club have been so slow in getting a LB 
  • If January 2020 you had the choice of a fit Leko or a fit Aneke who would have chosen Aneke?  
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!