Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Rumours Rumours - Summer 2021 edition (Deadline Day from p814)

Comments

• Options
    paulfox said:
    paulfox said:
    If chuks  has it in his mind to look elsewhere, then so should we, he’d be no big loss in my opinion, get someone who wants to be at Charlton and can play for 90 mins if required. He was part of a team that failed so doesn’t deserve us begging him to stay.

Each to their own but I don't get the rationale.  He is better than L1 on his day and if we bought in a striker who played 90 mins every game and got 20 in a season we would all love them.  Chuks got 15 playing 20-30mins each game.

Next season, best case he finds.a way with our suddenly impressive looking medical team to play more and scores 20+ or does same as this season and wins us plenty of points from the bench.

Would rather have him playing for us than someone else.  It is not easy to replace 15 goals and his power and overall game.

Mooney wanted to be at Charlton, he was crap.  I would rather have the best players.
    Just out of interest, and I don’t know as haven’t looked. How many of the 15 goals scored by him were the reason for winning 3pts? Whenever he started a game he was absolutely pony. So is the value of having him to bring on late beneficial to actually winning games or does it boost his ego by scoring against tired teams? I find him clumsy, has the turning circle of the titanic and fouls and gets petulant when things aren’t going his way. Other than that he’s ok. But over rated aswell.
    We drew 5 games he scored in and won two 1-0 where he scored.  We beat Lincoln 3-1 when he scored and assisted.  That is to name the key point changers of his goals.

He was sent off once and carded 9 times in 38 game involvements.
    Ok thanks, 6pts directly won via his winning goals. We can put the shine on it, or off it as we would wish,based on our opinions of him. The discipline based on minutes on the pitch isn’t very reliable is it?. Obviously we can’t forget the clowning around from the majority of our defence may well have helped figures. However for me chuks isn’t the one I’ll be hanging my hopes on. I don’t rate him as highly as some others obviously. He is at his level in my opinion, no better no worse which is why I’m happy for him to go. If he was better than league 1 he would never have played for us.
  • Options
    Jonniesta said:
    OK, but is there a better sub in League One? He turned games, not just where he scored. Why would we not want that weapon in our arsenal when subs play such a crucial part? He'd be about the last person I'd want to see come on against us with 30 minutes to go. Hope he stays, even if we do only get 30 minutes a match. 
    I would hope we don’t have to always wait until 30mins to go to win games!! If he’s that good why doesn’t he play the 1st 30 mins, based on that opinion we’d have won the game by halftime.would he have scored15 starting games?.
  • Options
    Do we still have five subs next season? Having only three could potentially impact decision making on what sort of deal to offer.

It’s not ideal to have one of three spots permanently reserved for one player every game, doesn’t give the other strikers much of a chance when on the bench. 
  • Options
    paulfox said: to
    paulfox said:
    If chuks  has it in his mind to look elsewhere, then so should we, he’d be no big loss in my opinion, get someone who wants to be at Charlton and can play for 90 mins if required. He was part of a team that failed so doesn’t deserve us begging him to stay.

Each to their own but I don't get the rationale.  He is better than L1 on his day and if we bought in a striker who played 90 mins every game and got 20 in a season we would all love them.  Chuks got 15 playing 20-30mins each game.

Next season, best case he finds.a way with our suddenly impressive looking medical team to play more and scores 20+ or does same as this season and wins us plenty of points from the bench.

Would rather have him playing for us than someone else.  It is not easy to replace 15 goals and his power and overall game.

Mooney wanted to be at Charlton, he was crap.  I would rather have the best players.
    Just out of interest, and I don’t know as haven’t looked. How many of the 15 goals scored by him were the reason for winning 3pts? Whenever he started a game he was absolutely pony. So is the value of having him to bring on late beneficial to actually winning games or does it boost his ego by scoring against tired teams? I find him clumsy, has the turning circle of the titanic and fouls and gets petulant when things aren’t going his way. Other than that he’s ok. But over rated aswell.
    So a striker's goals only count if the goals win the game... Well that's a novel argument.
  • Options
    First signing of the season...

Ryan Viggars has signed a pro contract after appearing for the U18s in the Play-Offs, guess he comes in after being released by Sheffield United, Wales youth International. 

Photo has been taken from the players Instagram 

Even if it is just an U18 player it's really weird that fan accounts are announcing signings before the club. 

He looked good in the Wigan game though so happy with this
  • Options
    J BLOCK said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    So many bitter people Aneke is out of contract, let him go where he wants.

If it isn't here, I don't want him here.
    It’s not bitter, it’s shock that Shrewsbury are (potentially) offering a better contract than ‘premier league in 5 years time’ Charlton 
    They could offer him more than we are, but I bet their overall budget is less than ours.
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    paulfox said:

So a striker's goals only count if the goals win the game... Well that's a novel argument.
    He could score a hattrick and we lose 4-3.

Still no points.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    It feels like there’s a bunch of league one clubs all after the same players , I feel we need to be looking further afield and the European leagues. Commitment, skill, game awareness and physicality trump, any previous experience of league one or the English game for me.
  • Options
    Addickted said:
    Chunes said:
    paulfox said:

He could score a hattrick and we lose 4-3.

Still no points.
    Mendonca got a hat trick but we only drew.
  • Options
    Shrew said:
    It feels like there’s a bunch of league one clubs all after the same players , I feel we need to be looking further afield and the European leagues. Commitment, skill, game awareness and physicality trump, any previous experience of league one or the English game for me.
    Yeah but Schwartz is shit so no.

(This was sarcasm btw.)
  • Options
    As others have said above, I don't understand why we don't make a best and final offer to a player - no mucking around with offering x, knowing the player will want y and settling on somewhere in the middle - and give the player 21 days to accept it. If he hasn't accepted it after 21 days, the offer is withdrawn and not re-instated if a later date if the player finds he can't get a better offer elsewhere.

That way, we know exactly where we stand and can start looking for replacements at an early stage instead of desperately trying to get faces through the door before the deadline.

• Options
    As others have said above, I don't understand why we don't make a best and final offer to a player - no mucking around with offering x, knowing the player will want y and settling on somewhere in the middle - and give the player 21 days to accept it. If he hasn't accepted it after 21 days, the offer is withdrawn and not re-instated if a later date if the player finds he can't get a better offer elsewhere.

That way, we know exactly where we stand and can start looking for replacements at an early stage instead of desperately trying to get faces through the door before the deadline.

How do you know that hasn’t happened? 
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    paulfox said:

Rather than being a smart arse, read the discussion being made!, we were discussing the worth of having someone coming on for 30 mins in a game and knicking the odd goal to add to there tally.believe it or not, I’m happy and accepting of the fact people don’t all agree. But I don’t insist on digging someone out with a shit I’m better than you comment because of it.ffs!!🙄
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    paulfox said:
    Chunes said:
    paulfox said:

Rather than being a smart arse, read the discussion being made!, we were discussing the worth of having someone coming on for 30 mins in a game and knicking the odd goal to add to there tally.believe it or not, I’m happy and accepting of the fact people don’t all agree. But I don’t insist on digging someone out with a shit I’m better than you comment because of it.ffs!!🙄
    Bit of an overreaction...
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    👍Chunes said:
    paulfox said:
    Chunes said:
    paulfox said:

Bit of an overreaction...
    👍
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    First signing of the season...

Ryan Viggars has signed a pro contract after appearing for the U18s in the Play-Offs, guess he comes in after being released by Sheffield United, Wales youth International. 

Photo has been taken from the players Instagram 

Even if it is just an U18 player it's really weird that fan accounts are announcing signings before the club. 

He looked good in the Wigan game though so happy with this
    The player announced it himself on Instagram... They've just spotted it on there
  • Options

How do you know that hasn’t happened? 
    I don't.

If like last year Adam Matthews doesn't resign until after the season has started we'll know it hasn't.
  • Options

How does anyone, other than those involved, know we haven’t?
  • Options
    paulfox said:
    Chunes said:
    paulfox said:

But 15 goals is not the odd goal, it put him joint 12th in the top scorers table with the lowest goals per minute ratio (by a mile from most who finished above him).  The fact our defence regularly let us down by conceeding soft goals which meant not all his goals counted is nothing to do with Aneke.

His goals you don't count as they are not "dissisive" include giving us a 2 goal cushion late on v Swindon and Pompey... How many times when we have not done that have we let in last minute equalizers...

You also ignored the 5 points won by draws his goals secured us and the fact his assist and goal secured us the Lincoln win.

He is a very decent asset in L1 and no way we end up with 4 strikers better than him.

Of course he is only worth so much money, but at 27 I think keeping him for another two years is good business as I see him as having the ability and power to step up to the Championship too.

For Aneke himself I suspect that with 2 years of data and a very strong looking medical team now at Charlton (including our managers background), we are actually now the perfect place for him too.

Ok I respect your opinion and you are expressing your opinion without being an arse!!😂. I don’t agree that he’s good enough for championship football because if he was we wouldn’t be wondering if he is going to stay, infact he probably wouldn’t have ever played for us. At the end of the day his contribution was part of a poor effort of getting promoted so should be judged as such...average at best!. If he stayed and banged in 20+ goals and played more minutes I’d happily eat humble pie as I support whoever where’s the shirt wether I think they are good or not. But I doubt we’ll find out!!.
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    Shrew said:
    Nowhere near as easy as it used to be. Europe (thanks to Brexit) is no different from the rest of the world.  And players need a visa to work here. It is a points-based system. If you are an international superstar, no problem. If you are an unknown playing in the lower leagues, then far from straightforward. Details here: https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/dec/28/football-and-brexit-a-guide-to-the-new-rules.
    As the article points out some highly successful additions to playing squads, like Teemu Pukki, would have failed to get a work permit under the new rules.
  • Options
    cafcfan said:
    Shrew said:
    Nowhere near as easy as it used to be. Europe (thanks to Brexit) is no different from the rest of the world.  And players need a visa to work here. It is a points-based system. If you are an international superstar, no problem. If you are an unknown playing in the lower leagues, then far from straightforward. Details here: https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/dec/28/football-and-brexit-a-guide-to-the-new-rules.
    As the article points out some highly successful additions to playing squads, like Teemu Pukki, would have failed to get a work permit under the new rules.
    Good. Sick of foreigners coming over here, scoring our goals
    Typically of Charlton we couldnt even find a Striker to do that ;)
  • Options
    cafcfan said:
    Shrew said:
    So we had one last chance to get a foreign bargain ... instead we got Ronnie who’s next to useless. Same old Charlton 🤣🤣🤣
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!