Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Rumours Rumours - Summer 2021 edition (Deadline Day from p814)

Comments

• Options
    edited May 2021
    Chuk's record coming off the bench is phenomenal.  If we accept that he is unlikely to be a starter, it is clear to see that he could play a vital part in any potential promotion push.

I really hope we sign him up again so that he can be unleashed on the opposition late game.  Can you think of anyone better that you could bring on at this level?

Agree entirely with this. So Chuks can't start... fine, we can work with that if he can be relied upon to be consistently available for selection as a sub. He was last season (I think he was only injured twice and once was for COVID and none were long lay-offs) so he's very useful as a sub. His goals per minute stats blew everyone else out of the water, including Clarke Harris, and that was without taking penalties. If it was a case of him being available for 6 games and then injured for 12, and therefore completely unreliable, then I'd say get rid, but he's shown his injury related limitations can be managed and he can still have a big contribution while working inside those limitations so he is well worth keeping imo.
    Agreed, at the right price.

We've spent too long building the core of our team around injury prone players and it's left us in difficult positions over and over again. If he's willing to accept a squad player's contract then he should be kept on - maybe with clauses such as appearance & goal bonuses. If a club like Shrewsbury wants to come in and offer him all of that money up front then best of luck to them.
    How many players have we signed in, say the last 5 years, that were "injury prone" before we bought them?

We signed some, especially in our Luzon, Fraye, Riga relegation season, and the Brighton pair last season, that weren't fit, but that's a bit different.

Williams and Innis were, but honestly we would never have signed them if they weren't.  Considering they are always different types of injuries to different body parts you could also put that down to bad luck.  Igor and Kashi weren't until we broke them.  Leko and JFC, twice, had serious freak injuries.

This season I doubt we really had any more injuries than anyone else, it was the position of the injured that compounded it.

Last season it was a domino effect as players had to over play so the injuries amplified. 
  • Options
    RC_CAFC said:
    Chuk's record coming off the bench is phenomenal.  If we accept that he is unlikely to be a starter, it is clear to see that he could play a vital part in any potential promotion push.

I really hope we sign him up again so that he can be unleashed on the opposition late game.  Can you think of anyone better that you could bring on at this level?

Agree entirely with this. So Chuks can't start... fine, we can work with that if he can be relied upon to be consistently available for selection as a sub. He was last season (I think he was only injured twice and once was for COVID and none were long lay-offs) so he's very useful as a sub. His goals per minute stats blew everyone else out of the water, including Clarke Harris, and that was without taking penalties. If it was a case of him being available for 6 games and then injured for 12, and therefore completely unreliable, then I'd say get rid, but he's shown his injury related limitations can be managed and he can still have a big contribution while working inside those limitations so he is well worth keeping imo.

We've spent too long building the core of our team around injury prone players and it's left us in difficult positions over and over again. If he's willing to accept a squad player's contract then he should be kept on - maybe with clauses such as appearance & goal bonuses. If a club like Shrewsbury wants to come in and offer him all of that money up front then best of luck to them.

But he's not the core of the squad, he's a substitute, and last season he contributed more from the bench than almost any of our regular starters did. Hopefully next season we'll be using him to turn 1-0s into 2-0s and 2-1s into 3-1, rather than too often trying to recover from losing positions.
    If he's a substitute, shouldn't he be getting paid like a substitute?

I'm not knocking his contributions, they were important this season. But if we go making him one of the highest paid players to exclusively come off the bench, what does that do for squad balance/harmony?
    Just to be clear, in the top 4 divisions only Gareth Bale had a better goals to minutes on pitch ratio than Aneke over the course of the season. AND he hit the woodwork more than anyone else. He has earn’t himself a good contract somewhere, be it with us or somewhere else.
    You're having a laugh comparing Premier with League 1.How many goals do you think Bale would score in our division? 
  • Options

But he's not the core of the squad, he's a substitute, and last season he contributed more from the bench than almost any of our regular starters did. Hopefully next season we'll be using him to turn 1-0s into 2-0s and 2-1s into 3-1, rather than too often trying to recover from losing positions.

I'm not knocking his contributions, they were important this season. But if we go making him one of the highest paid players to exclusively come off the bench, what does that do for squad balance/harmony?
    Yeah squad harmony would be shit if he came off the bench and won us 15-20 points over the season, everyone would hate him.......

Squad harmony suffers when you have players the other players rate frozen out, players that don't put the effort in training, players that have no place in the squad but are there for "reasons", players that get scapegoated in public by the manager.  Never, ever, because you have a bloke that can score 15-20 goals off the bench and earns the same, or less, as the reserve right back!
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    RC_CAFC said:

Just to be clear, in the top 4 divisions only Gareth Bale had a better goals to minutes on pitch ratio than Aneke over the course of the season. AND he hit the woodwork more than anyone else. He has earn’t himself a good contract somewhere, be it with us or somewhere else.
    You're having a laugh comparing Premier with League 1.How many goals do you think Bale would score in our division? 
    Spurs won’t be shopping in league 1. But Championship clubs will be. All I am saying is don’t underestimate the season he’s had and the fact that he’s earn’t the opportunity to shop around.

As an aside though, If I am going to compare him to a premier league player, I guarantee you he’d have done more for West Brom this season than Karlan Grant has.
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    Still f all then.
  • Options
    All Peter O’Rourke rumours should now be instantly discarded in the same way Nixon’s are. 

He must have had some sort of head injury recently because that’s laughable
    Not really, we don't know our offer to Aneke. They might be putting a stupid offer on the table in the hope he's completely driven by money. I'd still be very surprised if he goes there but don't think it's ludicrous a team like Shrewsbury could make a silly offer. 
    You can guarantee whatever we offer to Aneke is significantly more than what Shrewsbury can afford. The same goes for any other team with genuine interest in signing him, like Sheffield Wednesday. 

If Aneke doesn’t resign it will be because a bigger team with more money have come in for him.

Peter O’Rourke uses the clout gained from once working for credible employers to now peddle nonsense click-bait for Footy Insider
    How can you guarantee it? Perhaps Adkins views Aneke as a risk and therefore doesn't want to offer him the contract he'd get if he could play a bit more. Shrewsbury view him as more of a marquee signing so willing to offer a silly contract? It's not necessarily about being a bigger team with more money, it's about the importance of that signing to the club. Like if we need a No 2 keeper this season, a 'smaller club' could offer more money if they need him as their No 1. 
    Do you seriously believe it’s possible for Chuks Aneke - arguably the best footballer in the division when fit, the person with the best minutes to goals ratio in the division, a player with suitors who have much bigger bank accounts than us, will be playing for Shrewsbury Town next season?

I understand your point of us not offering a big deal due to his physical risks, but that doesn’t mean Shrewsbury Town come in to the equation at all. This is clearly a nonsense story, most likely orchestrated by Aneke’s agent.
    I would be surprised if he went there, yes. I wouldn't be surprised if a club like Shrewsbury are making enquiries and 1/2 are putting good offers on the table, no. In fact, I'd hope we are in the same position and making enquiries for players who are being linked to Championship clubs and making lucrative offers to persuade them to join us. Nothing wrong with a bit of ambition even if it's unlikely to come off. 
    Agree there’s nothing wrong with ambition on the part of a club, my issue is that it’s a non-story. I really can’t see any possible reality where Chuks Aneke even entertains being linked to Shrewsbury. 

Transfer rumours are slow this time of year and it seems people are making them up for the sake of driving engagement. 

For the record, I’d be quite happy to see him move on and use the funds on a player that can start 40+ games a season.
    Fair enough, we might differ slightly but suspect we both agree Chuks isn't holding out for a move to Shrewsbury!
  • Options
    All Peter O’Rourke rumours should now be instantly discarded in the same way Nixon’s are. 

He must have had some sort of head injury recently because that’s laughable
    Not really, we don't know our offer to Aneke. They might be putting a stupid offer on the table in the hope he's completely driven by money. I'd still be very surprised if he goes there but don't think it's ludicrous a team like Shrewsbury could make a silly offer. 
    You can guarantee whatever we offer to Aneke is significantly more than what Shrewsbury can afford. The same goes for any other team with genuine interest in signing him, like Sheffield Wednesday. 

If Aneke doesn’t resign it will be because a bigger team with more money have come in for him.

Peter O’Rourke uses the clout gained from once working for credible employers to now peddle nonsense click-bait for Footy Insider
    How can you guarantee it? Perhaps Adkins views Aneke as a risk and therefore doesn't want to offer him the contract he'd get if he could play a bit more. Shrewsbury view him as more of a marquee signing so willing to offer a silly contract? It's not necessarily about being a bigger team with more money, it's about the importance of that signing to the club. Like if we need a No 2 keeper this season, a 'smaller club' could offer more money if they need him as their No 1. 
    Do you seriously believe it’s possible for Chuks Aneke - arguably the best footballer in the division when fit, the person with the best minutes to goals ratio in the division, a player with suitors who have much bigger bank accounts than us, will be playing for Shrewsbury Town next season?

I understand your point of us not offering a big deal due to his physical risks, but that doesn’t mean Shrewsbury Town come in to the equation at all. This is clearly a nonsense story, most likely orchestrated by Aneke’s agent.
    I would be surprised if he went there, yes. I wouldn't be surprised if a club like Shrewsbury are making enquiries and 1/2 are putting good offers on the table, no. In fact, I'd hope we are in the same position and making enquiries for players who are being linked to Championship clubs and making lucrative offers to persuade them to join us. Nothing wrong with a bit of ambition even if it's unlikely to come off. 
    Agree there’s nothing wrong with ambition on the part of a club, my issue is that it’s a non-story. I really can’t see any possible reality where Chuks Aneke even entertains being linked to Shrewsbury. 

Transfer rumours are slow this time of year and it seems people are making them up for the sake of driving engagement. 

For the record, I’d be quite happy to see him move on and use the funds on a player that can start 40+ games a season.
    Fair enough, we might differ slightly but suspect we both agree Chuks isn't holding out for a move to Shrewsbury!
    Completely agree mate! 
  • Options
    RC_CAFC said:

What would you be willing to pay him, in relation to the rest of the squad?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    It's a Bank Holiday weekend, nothing's going to happen until Tuesday at the earliest, close the thread for three days and go off and doing something fun.
  • Options
    Richard J said:
    Andy Cannon saying that he wants to move back north as his reason for not signing on at Pompey.

So unless he copies Ian Dowie or Dale Stephens I think we can scrub him off the list. 
    Dale's idea of north was South. Does was ENE.

Cannon can really  only go North.
    SE7 is north of Pompey 😁
  • Options
    Perhaps we’ve offered pay as you play , which would be entirely fair.  If Shrews are offering a regular contract and have told him he can be in the shape he was when he arrived, he’d rather go there 
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    RC_CAFC said:

What would you be willing to pay him, in relation to the rest of the squad?
    I honestly think, in league 1, he’s one of our top earners. His minutes on pitch was dramatically higher last season than the season before and it sounded like there was hope and belief that Chuks could be playing 90 more consistently. Part of the issue was the unusual amount of Saturday/Tuesday games we played last year.

His strength and ability to bulldoze passed people is no where else in this league. I’m not saying I’d pull out all the stops for him, I just believe we’re more likely to have a successful season with him in our squad.

I was also suggesting with the unmatched goals to minutes on pitch ratio in the football league, it’s not surprising he’s shopping around a bit.
  • Options
    Seeing reported interest in Aneke from Shrewsbury actually makes me think there is a decent chance of him staying. I would be worried if it was a Championship club or a big League One club but there is no way Shrewsbury would be attractive to him.
  • Options
    Some having meltdowns two weeks before a transfer window even opens is too charlton life even for charlton life 👏🏻 
    Especially when this is going to our best transfer window in years.  It's all very exciting.  I can't  remember the last time I was this excited about a transfer window
  • Options
    According to the Daily Mail, Sheffield Wednesday have asked their players to go on furlough payments from the government with immediate effect.

If Chucks decides to move to Yorkshire being furloughed will be an interesting experience for him!
  • Options
    Some having meltdowns two weeks before a transfer window even opens is too charlton life even for charlton life 👏🏻 
    Especially when this is going to our best transfer window in years.  It's all very exciting.  I can't  remember the last time I was this excited about a transfer window
    This has great potential to win the grand prize in the ‘This Aged Well’ 2021 Championship 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    According to the Daily Mail, Sheffield Wednesday have asked their players to go on furlough payments from the government with immediate effect.

If Chucks decides to move to Yorkshire being furloughed will be an interesting experience for him!
    Yup and also trying to explain why they havent repaid money to ST holders. Skint is the word. I can see them spending in the window and imo could well be a runner in the relegation stakes next season
  • Options
    Can't 
  • Options
    When ever has being skint stopped football clubs spending on players ? It’s why the game is in the mess it finds itself.
  • Options
    The window opening means nothing, all it means is they can’t play for you until it opens, you can sign players at any time you like.
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    It's silly but it's not Charlton Life.

It's some people on here, some on twitter, some on Facebook who over react to every rumour.

And it's the same at every other club too.

It's not a Charlton Life thing.

WIOTOS
    LLLBH
    NARAWA

• Options

Further to my earlier post. I have just been on Owlstalk.
    A number of their posters are predicting Sheffield Wednesday to go into Administration before the end of June.

I think that definitely rules out Chucks going to the “massives” this close season.
  • Options

Further to my earlier post. I have just been on Owlstalk.
    A number of their posters are predicting Sheffield Wednesday to go into Administration before the end of June.

I think that definitely rules out Chucks going to the “massives” this close season.
    Chuks has 3 offers on the table none of them are from Wednesday.

As I said last week it is possible he could end up there but he isn't not signing for us to sign for them. 
  • Options
    Shitarse football club.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!