Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Rumours Rumours - Summer 2021 edition (Deadline Day from p814)

Comments

• Options
    Why shouldn't the players, ours or anyones, have a look to see what else might be on offer?

Just as our players are, perhaps, considering their options, there will be players offered deals by their existing clubs who are also talking to us.

But remember the old adage.   

Players who move to Charlton are moving for football reasons and furthering their careers.  

Players who move on from Charlton are greedy, ungrateful, disloyal snakes who can feck off as they're not 100% committed for not taking the first offer on the table.
    Or arent good enough as there is no room for sentimentality ;)
  • Options
    Due to the financial effects of Covid there will be many  players available and they will eventually have to consider lower wages if they want to stay in the game. 
    Agree with this.  Someone like Piggot is likely to have options based on what he’s done over the last few years, versus someone like Pearce who has been on decent money and is now at the end of his career, facing a post Covid world where a lot of football clubs have taken a hit financially.  Pearce is probably going to be offered a lot less than what he was on, and rightly so.  Nothing against him that I would want to see him not earn as much as he could, far from it, he’s been a model pro.  Just that I want us to go up, and spend the right money on the right players.  If Adkins feels Pearce is worth keeping then so be it, but Pearce will have to weigh up financially what that means for him personally, and that’s up to him.  As mentioned above, he may likely be staying.

It’s similar with Aneke.  Is he worth offering a contract too?  I’m in two minds.  I don’t think he’s ever gonna give us more than about 5-10 games starting a season.  Yes, he has an impact when he comes on, but I don’t want us to pay over the odds for that.  Same with JFC.  One year deal at most given he’s going to be injured for the best part of the season.  Not sure what the situation with Watson is, but again, if he stays, it should be on low money 
  • Options
    Why shouldn't the players, ours or anyones, have a look to see what else might be on offer?

Just as our players are, perhaps, considering their options, there will be players offered deals by their existing clubs who are also talking to us.

Players who move to Charlton are moving for football reasons and furthering their careers.  

Players who move on from Charlton are greedy, ungrateful, disloyal snakes who can feck off as they're not 100% committed for not taking the first offer on the table.
    This. It’s also a very different scenario now compared to as it was when the majority of player movement was for a fee or free. A club identified a target, approached the club with an offer and after a bit of negotiation the player agreed terms or not and moved. Far more complex now after Bosman. 
  • Options
    Stoke City have made losses of 90 mill for 2919/20 .. so people moaning about not buying anyone this is the reality of football at present 
    Yet they were able to buy Doherty in a pandemic  season.
    Probably wouldn't be much, contract running down and refusing to sign another one. Plus, injured badly and wouldn't have played much of a part (if at all) in the run in. Don't think he actually played for Stoke at all did he? 
  • Options
    Maccn05 said:
    J BLOCK said:
    Which other teams in the league have done business so far?
    From the top of my head - Shrewsbury, Oxford, Plymouth, Fleetwood, Bolton, Accrington, Bristol Rovers (loads)
    Bristol Rovers aren't in our League 
    They were two weeks ago and still are on the Sky Sports League Table ... and it suited my point 😬
  • Options
    Maccn05 said:
    J BLOCK said:
    Which other teams in the league have done business so far?
    From the top of my head - Shrewsbury, Oxford, Plymouth, Fleetwood, Bolton, Accrington, Bristol Rovers (loads)
    What have they done? new signings, renewals, both?
  • Options
    They signed 4 players on Wednesday, all free transfers.
  • Options

27 May

English Football League

Dapo Afolayan [West Ham - Bolton] Free

Matthew Pennington [Everton - Shrewsbury] Free

Mattie Pollock [Grimsby - Watford] £250,000

26 May

English Football League

Nick Anderton [Carlisle - Bristol Rovers] Free

Paul Coutts [Fleetwood - Bristol Rovers] Free

Sam Finley [Fleetwood - Bristol Rovers] Free

Mark Hughes [Accrington - Bristol Rovers] Free

Lee Nicholls [MK Dons - Huddersfield] Free

Alex Pattison [Wycombe - Harrogate] Free

25 May

English Football League

George Long [Hull - Millwall] Free

Scott Malone [Derby - Millwall] Free

Fred Onyedinma [Wycombe - Luton] Undisclosed

Cole Skuse [Ipswich - Colchester] Free

21 May

English Football League

Jordan Rhodes [Sheffield Wednesday - Huddersfield] Free

20 May

English Football League

Sam Field [West Brom - QPR] Undisclosed

Matty Pearson [Luton - Huddersfield] Free

James Wilson [Ipswich - Plymouth] Free

• Sponsored links:

• Options

According to Mick Jagger we are signing Ruby on Tuesday.

• Options
    Shame Sam Field went to QPR would have loved to see him back really rated him,
  • Options

100% agree, these agents and players know the wage cap has gone, and know the club has money to spend. But the club still have to do the best deal for them, not the players!

Chuks is certainly shopping around, and was looking for an increase (let’s not forget he was signed on a championship wage)

we will get the right players in.. agreements will already be in place, but might not happen till later on in the window!
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    DubaiCAFC said:

100% agree, these agents and players know the wage cap has gone, and know the club has money to spend. But the club still have to do the best deal for them, not the players!

Chuks is certainly shopping around, and was looking for an increase (let’s not forget he was signed on a championship wage)

we will get the right players in.. agreements will already be in place, but might not happen till later on in the window!
    Which in fairness is entirely his right and his prerogative, as it is for all the players. They are perfectly entitled to try and see if they can get a better offer (whether that's wages, location, or something else) with no obligation to sign on terms offered here.

• Options
    edited May 2021
  • Options
    I reckon there'll be a deadline for players to sign their contracts. If they don't I imagine we have replacements lined up. 
  • Options
    Maccn05 said:
    I thought this comment was interesting less than a month until they are back training and the urgency to get the squad done.

So will it be a flurry or renewals and new signings in June or an August of late rushed deals that weren’t our primary targets.

it’s hard to read into with Adkins eternal positivity but it didn’t read likes lots of deals are going on or a close.

it will be interesting no doubt 

Signing players later on doesn’t prove they weren’t our first choices.

They may be number one targets who are hanging on for the best possible offer as they have multiple clubs interested.

That turned out to be the case with Yann - we wanted him all summer but he had big wage demands. In the end we paid him half with a bonus of doubling it if we got promoted.

From our view as fans he was a Leicester reject who surprisingly was given a 2 year contract. Powell seemed to be desperate for a target man so took a gamble on a free agent in September after the window closed. We had no idea that he was seen as a player who could become a regular.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

• Options
    Are Shrewsbury loaded all of a sudden??? 
  • Options
    Stoke City have made losses of 90 mill for 2919/20 .. so people moaning about not buying anyone this is the reality of football at present 
    Blimey @bobmunro sort it out ! B)
  • Options
    depends what we and others are prepared to offer him - i'm guessing that none of the current players we have offered contracts to are seen as first 11 players and their offers will reflect that, both in terms of salary and contract duration - Shrewsbury may think differently  
  • Options
    All Peter O’Rourke rumours should now be instantly discarded in the same way Nixon’s are. 

He must have had some sort of head injury recently because that’s laughable
    Not really, we don't know our offer to Aneke. They might be putting a stupid offer on the table in the hope he's completely driven by money. I'd still be very surprised if he goes there but don't think it's ludicrous a team like Shrewsbury could make a silly offer. 
  • Options
    Still can’t believe any club would take a risk on a player who can’t get anywhere near ninety minutes of football. 
  • Options
    All Peter O’Rourke rumours should now be instantly discarded in the same way Nixon’s are. 

He must have had some sort of head injury recently because that’s laughable
    Not really, we don't know our offer to Aneke. They might be putting a stupid offer on the table in the hope he's completely driven by money. I'd still be very surprised if he goes there but don't think it's ludicrous a team like Shrewsbury could make a silly offer. 
    The only reason I'd disregard O'Rourke a bit more now as didnt he mention Digby as a target with Cawley has since rubbished?

Does seem to be getting a little less reliable
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!