Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

U18s v Wigan Athletic | Play-Off Final | The Valley | Friday (21st) 6:15pm - kickoff delayed

Comments

• Options
    I got bored after 10 mins.
    Wigan looked a better, bigger team. 
    I thought we won't get back in this game. 
    Harsh. I thought we played well for long spells, without testing their keeper enough
    Yes, that's what I thought 1st half.
    They looked like scoring we didn't.
    I didn't watch the 2nd half. 
    We had a good spell for 20 minutes at the start of the second half where we missed a great chance after excellent work by Barker. If we had taken that Wigan would have had to come out more, instead of sitting back
  • Options
    Jac_52 said:
    Decent performance but undone by 2 set pieces unfortunately. Their right winger was very very good but other than that felt we had the better players.

Santos my man of the match. Hugely impressed by his all round play today.

Twat of the match is whoever that Wigan player was that said something to Barker at the final whistle. Classless scum.
    Well handled by the referee though. I liked the way he listened to Barker but then made sure he moved Barker away from the Wigan players to calm down for a few seconds, rather than have anything flaring up. I'm sure he then would have told the Wigan management what had happened
  • Options
    Jac_52 said:
    Decent performance but undone by 2 set pieces unfortunately. Their right winger was very very good but other than that felt we had the better players.

Santos my man of the match. Hugely impressed by his all round play today.

Twat of the match is whoever that Wigan player was that said something to Barker at the final whistle. Classless scum.
    Well handled by the referee though. I liked the way he listened to Barker but then made sure he moved Barker away from the Wigan players to calm down for a few seconds, rather than have anything flaring up. I'm sure he then would have told the Wigan management what had happened

Yeah he diffused the situation very well to be fair and credit to Barker for coming back to shake hands with some of the Wigan players a few minutes later.
  • Options
    Hard luck to the lads tonight. Genuinely think the crowd didn’t help tonight as we looked very nervous at times. I thought Beadle, Elerewe, Santos and Barker were our best players. This is still a very promising group of young lads and I think we’ll see a few come through to the first team. Barker could be back around the first team next year. I really like the look of him. 

Tbh I thought Wigan deserved the result and Carragher and particularly McGurk were very good. 
  • Options
    If Wigan had not hit the post in the first half I reckon they would have won more comfortably.
    At least @Fanny Fanackapan could tuck into her chocolates as comfort.
  • Options
    You can learn more from defeats than victories.
  • Options
    Disappointing performance, especially after their outstanding one against Birmingham.  
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    Barker stands out in a similar way to Shelvey years ago, he already looks and plays like a man. I hope he gets his chance with us this year before he moves on to a higher league (unless we get promoted of course).
    Santos did look good, but his final ball not brilliant, maybe flattering to decieve. 
    Other than that I could see nobody (maybe Beadle) remotely close even  to League One level. I think the Academy has taken a big step back over the past 2 years, probably the Duchatelet chaos put young players off.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited May 2021
    In a funny sort of way, you are not really looking at the team. They won't all go on to the first team. If three do, that would be an amazing return. So you look for the glimpses of players that might make the jump. I think a number fall into that category but it is impossible to say which. Although Barker looks the closest at the moment. Winning tonight would have been great but wouldn't have changed anything in relation to what the point of it all is.
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    Southbank said:
    Barker stands out in a similar way to Shelvey years ago, he already looks and plays like a man. I hope he gets his chance with us this year before he moves on to a higher league (unless we get promoted of course).
    Santos did look good, but his final ball not brilliant, maybe flattering to decieve. 
    Other than that I could see nobody (maybe Beadle) remotely close even  to League One level. I think the Academy has taken a big step back over the past 2 years, probably the Duchatelet chaos put young players off.
    Are we expecting a lot of the under 18s to be ready for League One? I’d say no. They’ve had a hugely successful season and find it strange you think the academy has taken a big step back when these young lads have just won there league and got to a National final.
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    I thought we were unlucky, we moved the ball around well at times. Santos and Barker the Charlton stand outs for me.
  • Options
    Barker played well but also stood out as he looked more physically developed, he seemed more powerful and "grown up" than the rest of the team

That doesn't mean he'll necessarily have the better career though, as it could be that other players mature physically later on.
  • Options
    Jeremy Santos our best player tonight. Wigan were overall the better team. 
  • Options
    Didn't quite click today and with a couple of reasonably tall strikers on the pitch we didn't really get any crosses into the box and looked a bit lethargic.  Thought Santos played well and was the best of the bunch and Barker looked assured.  Henry gave the ball away a little too often but hits a lovely pass when he gets it right.

Some encouraging signs and others have said, if 2-3 of these make it that is a decent return from an academy.
  • Options
    I still don't quite get the Barker hype, lots of people clamouring for him to be in and around the first team, but he was only in the first team before due to the dire situation we were in. I haven't seen anything from him to suggest he should be playing above his current age category at all. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited May 2021
    sam3110 said:
    I still don't quite get the Barker hype, lots of people clamouring for him to be in and around the first team, but he was only in the first team before due to the dire situation we were in. I haven't seen anything from him to suggest he should be playing above his current age category at all. 
    He was the best player in a red shirt for me last night, I wouldn't want him as first choice, but back up to Matthews (if he renews) wouldn't be a bad option.
  • Options
    Addickted said:
    Must of been at a different game and surprised to see some of the opinions on here.

Firstly, although we missed the first 20 minutes because of the traffic chaos on the M2, from the moment we took our seats until half time, we were by far the better team with Beadle having virtually nothing to do. Some of our passing and movement looked superb. 

Second half, we started in a similar vein and I was convinced we'd get back into the game and go on to win. The Wigan players started to look very leggy after about 25 mins of the second half.

Some poor decision making up front cost us the game.

After the second goal which came from their first corner of the second half, the Wigan boys seemed to get a second wind for the last 10 and the change in formation from us and the substitutions seemed to have a negative effect on our performance, particularly in midfield.

The two outstanding players on the pitch were both in Red.

The lad Santos is going to go onto bigger and better things. Composed on the ball, eye for a pass, strong in the tackle and with a lot of skill.

Charlie Barker was immense. Playing right wing back for most of the game the Wigan midfield and defenders could not handle his strength and ball skills. He skinned their left back 4/5 times and managed to make a decent final pass/cross. This, to me looks like his natural position. Really tenacious player who appears to have the bravery of a lion. Not afraid to get stuck in when it matters. He was devastated by the defeat.

I saw the whole game through YouTube and I make you exactly right.
  • Options
    Both goalkeepers were good. Beadle can kick further than Amos. Not bad for his age.
  • Options
    Velma (not Thelma as I thought) was the brains. One would certainly enjoy an evening in her company.

Missed most of the game but it seems a close game but Wigan have taken their chances.

Time for Leaburn
    We didn’t play well and Wigan were good for the result. 

You should know better than to try and correct aliwibble.

Any remaining promotes and at least 5 future promotes forfeit there I reckon 

• Options
    If Wigan had not hit the post in the first half I reckon they would have won more comfortably.
    Nice to meet you @ElfsborgAddick, even if you did seem to be wearing sint truiden kit😟😂😂
  • Options
    sam3110 said:
    I thought Barker had a good game and looked like he was playing a different game to everyone else. Our two CB were tall but not effective and I would have liked to have seen Barker control the defence from the middle.

Surprised you didn’t see anything to suggest he shouldn’t play at above his age category, not sure he’s ready to start in the first team this season coming but I’d have him on the bench, or loaned out to be the captain of a L2 team.
  • Options
    Nice to meet you @ElfsborgAddick, even if you did seem to be wearing sint truiden kit😟😂😂
    Likewise sir, your generosity in offering me a drink was very kind.
    @clb74 in particular, that I DECLINED your offer.
  • Options
    Nice people that @Addictedoldgit and @The_President are, I was very disappointed they did not offer to get the beers in.  
  • Options
    Attacking wise we look as good as Wigan first half, but their keeper pulled off some great stops. Wigan when attacking had far more joy mainly due to errors from our 2 centre backs and a miss that hit the post.

2nd half Wigan should have been further up with a another poor miss before they got the 2nd.

Our keeper looks a great prospect, Barker depite his age plays with like someone with a lot of experience and you would hope would be in the 1st team squad next season. Santos looks very good and was impressed with Viggars.

Did not look at the team sheet during the game so did not realise Henry was playing. Some really sloppy passes and nothing like as impressive when he played against West Brom last season, hopefully just an off night.