Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

U18s v Wigan Athletic | Play-Off Final | The Valley | Friday (21st) 6:15pm - kickoff delayed

12345679»

Comments

• Options
    Again synergy through our teams.
  • Options
    Watched the whole game and thought Wigan were sharper all over the pitch.
    A two goal margin was fair and Wigan played a good team game. Charlton have many skilled footballers in the under 18th but few were on their A game and the link up play and final pass was missing last night. 
    Barker looked the most accomplished, and Henry had good moments but his passes were poor in the latter part of the match.

The two tall CB,  are clones of each other and I would need to watch them again but they have mistakes in their game on last nights showing but both lads can run with the ball from the back so have a chance.

Campbell and Santos look tricky on the ball  and could develop. My money would be on Santos to go further but early days.

Burstow had a frustrating night but he was impressive in the 3-2 win and another who could progress.

They all need to be able to perform with a crowd watching but if anyone goes overboard with the criticism after that you really need to understand the journey young players go through and how tough it is.

The two keepers were very impressive and I will go out on a limb to say both James Beadle and Tom Watson barring injuries will have professional careers in the EFL at least.

Both look ahead of Nick Pope at the same age when he first came from Bury fc in Suffolk to try to establish his self at Cafc at 16 after the disappointment of being released from Ipswich Town.

• Options
    sam3110 said:
    I still don't quite get the Barker hype, lots of people clamouring for him to be in and around the first team, but he was only in the first team before due to the dire situation we were in. I haven't seen anything from him to suggest he should be playing above his current age category at all. 
    I thought Barker had a good game and looked like he was playing a different game to everyone else. Our two CB were tall but not effective and I would have liked to have seen Barker control the defence from the middle.

Surprised you didn’t see anything to suggest he shouldn’t play at above his age category, not sure he’s ready to start in the first team this season coming but I’d have him on the bench, or loaned out to be the captain of a L2 team.
    An 18 year old loaned out and made captain of his temporary club?
  • Options
    I was really impressed with Beadle's handling, the way the ball seemed to stick to his gloves
  • Options
    The thing with Aaron Henry is that without him attempting those passes we’d have spent 90 minutes going side to side in our own half. 

While he does miss hit a few Hollywood balls, he makes a hell of lot of drilled passes through the lines that other players can’t spot or don’t have the ability to play.

I was at the game so didn’t have the benefit of replays, but I’m pretty sure he nutmegged the same player twice. 

I think a loan would do him the world of good
  • Options
    Sounds like we made a mistake letting Harry Beadle go to Colchester - reckon we will regret that
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:
    Sounds like we made a mistake letting Harry Beadle go to Colchester - reckon we will regret that
    Why does it sound like it was a mistake?
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    DOUCHER said:
    the 2 centre halves didn't seem to impress from what i've read above and i think Harry is a late bloomer - admittedly i haven't seen him play for a good while but knowing him as i do, he has got a special character and my view is he will become a sought after player  
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:
    Scoham said:
    DOUCHER said:
    the 2 centre halves didn't seem to impress from what i've read above and i think Harry is a late bloomer - admittedly i haven't seen him play for a good while but knowing him as i do, he has got a special character and my view is he will become a sought after player  
    I think of all the young players released its Quiturna and Taylor that could be the ones we come to regret.

However we can’t keep hold of every player every year  and trust Avory to spot the talent.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    DOUCHER said:
    Scoham said:
    DOUCHER said:
    I think of all the young players released its Quiturna and Taylor that could be the ones we come to regret.

However we can’t keep hold of every player every year  and trust Avory to spot the talent.
    i agree, i'm not criticising, just making a prediction
  • Options
    It's too early to write off the two CBs based on one game. One of them is 16/17 and the other has been given a pro contract, and that will have been based on his performances over a whole season.
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    It's too early to write off the two CBs based on one game. One of them is 16/17 and the other has been given a pro contract, and that will have been based on his performances over a whole season.
    Exactly, if you watched Famewo against Wimbledon in isolation would you want to keep him? No is probably the answer. Look at his performances over the season and you can see he is a class act at this level.
  • Options
    I wasn't sure about Elerewe first half but 2nd he started pinging these extremely delicious long balls and I liked him again
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    I wasn't sure about Elerewe first half but 2nd he started pinging these extremely delicious long balls and I liked him again
    And what did you think about his defending?
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    DOUCHER said:
    Scoham said:
    DOUCHER said:

Might not be able to regret them if the players have chosen to go to bigger clubs.

Dont know anything but equally might not just be a case of Charlton deciding to release them
  • Options
    I enjoyed the game and thought we had a few really good players on show. Really like the look of Santos. And I will be following Burstow's career for sure as I used to go and watch him play and others like Tyrese Omotoye who is at Norwich now play Junior football. Just out of interest did Thomas Tweet a thing about the U18 game since friday? I can't see anything on Twatter!