Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Laurel Hubbard

Comments

• Options
    clb74 said:
    clb74 said:
    Given me nothing but a headache this thread.
    For me this woman has to compete in the womens event.
    Otherwise I'm saying Laurel is only a woman until it comes to sports and then she has to compete in the mens events.
    Is it for me to tell someone who has probably known from an early age they was born into the wrong body and lived with it for years.
    That they cant compete in the sex group that they are?
    And it gives me a headache thinking about having to tell someone who lines up against Laurel, who was born a woman that she has no choice but to accept it.

There are two sides to this and that can’t be ignored.
    We are in the year 2021, we talk about equality maybe it's time to do away with  men and womens sport and we all compete under the same umbrella?
    😂😂
    So do away completely with separate sex sports & have just a free for all?

How the feck is that equal exactly? 🤔

Let’s take football for example.
    Do you think EPL teams will be happy being told that in the age of ‘equality’ you have to have equal parts of all genders in your squad going forward?
    It sounds wonderful but in reality? 
    Nah, never happen.
  • Options
    We are in the year 2021, we talk about equality maybe it's time to do away with  men and womens sport and we all compete under the same umbrella?

Add to the fact we still struggle with sports persons coming out as gay!

But yeah, it’s 2021 🙄
  • Options
    I think there are some sports where women will end up playing in top-level men's competition. Cricket for one. Any sport where skill and mental discipline has greater importance than sheer speed, strength or power
  • Options
    (but really I wouldn't rule out anything)
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    I think there are some sports where women will end up playing in top-level men's competition. Cricket for one. Any sport where skill and mental discipline has greater importance than sheer speed, strength or power
    Not sure cricket is a good example. 
    I can't see many women prepared to face bowlers who exceed 90 mph. 
  • Options
    Just in case people didn't see the very good and thorough study I posted on the subject:

• Options
    That doesn't cover in-game decisions, tactical awareness, skill or the fact that some women, just as men, outlie the mean by a considerable margin. Or maybe yeah, sure, men are 29-34% better at cricket, as proven by facts and logic
  • Options
    Leuth said:

I can't see many men wanting to either!

Besides, I doubt there is any evidence that men have a distinct advantage over women when it comes to courage, determination and fortitude. Very few women would be able to bowl at 90+mph, but no reason to suspect they couldn't face that bowling.
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    Damn those facts and logic. It should be about feelings and nonsensical metrics.

Also, can pretty much guarantee you haven't taken the time to read the report.
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    Leuth said:
    Darts is probably a better example. But because men have a physical advantage in many sports, it doesn't mean men's sport is more entertaining or that it has to be. I think we can draw an analogy with Boxing. A flyweight is not going to fight a heavyweight so they are separated within the regulations and a flyweight World Champion is a World Champion despite arguably not being the best.

Maybe the issue with Hubbard should come down to an independent panel of doctors/experts who can rule on whether being born a man has presented her with an advantage over somebody who was born a woman. I am not qualified to say but maybe the advantage will be more profound in some sports than others. You can turn it on its head and say nature disadvantages a man who wants to compete at the highest level who was born a woman. Rather than make it specifically about sex, we can argue it is the same as somebody born short being at a disadvantage in basketball. It is the hand you are dealt with.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Leuth said:
    it's shit
    EFA
  • Options
    I suppose it comes down to what is an "unfair" advantage and how do you prove it. Just as a point of comparison, the shortest professional NBA player was 5 ft 3 in but played with/against players well over six feet tall.

So in some sports and to some extent, ability can overcome certain physical disparities, but then we run into the problem that not all sports are the same.

Cricket and even football there's an argument that skill and talent can overcome physical differences, but in weightlifting or athletics having an inherent strength/mass advantage can't really be overcome just by skill or willpower.

There's not a one size fits all answer and that's the main problem here.
  • Options
    Would it even be a summer with out a court of appeal hearing to follow.... 

Posting without expressing an opinion:-

Wednesday 23rd – Thursday 24th June 2021

Bell & anr (claimant/resp) –v- The Tavistock and Portman NHS Trust (def/appellant)

This is an application for permission to appeal the Order of the President of Queen’s Bench Division, Lewis LJ and Lieven J (1/12/20).

The claim for judicial review was of the practice of the Tavistock and Portman NHS Foundation Trust, through its Gender Identity Development Service of prescribing puberty-suppressing drugs to persons under the age of 18 who experience gender dysphoria.

The Court declared that the relevant information that a child under the age of 16 would have to understand, retain and weigh up in order to have competence to consent to the administration of puberty blocking (PB) drugs is set out at para. 138 of the judgment: (i) the immediate consequences of the treatment in physical and psychological terms; (ii) the fact that the vast majority of patients taking PBs go on to CSH (cross-sex hormones) and therefore that they are on a pathway to much greater medical interventions; (iii) the relationship between taking CSH and subsequent surgery, with the implications of such surgery; (iv) the fact that CSH may well lead to a loss of fertility; (v) the impact of CSH on sexual function; (vi) the impact that taking this step on this treatment pathway may have on future and life-long relationships; (vii) the unknown physical consequences of taking PBs; and (viii) the fact that the evidence base for this treatment is as yet highly uncertain. 
  • Options
    clb74 said:
    clb74 said:
    Otherwise I'm saying Laurel is only a woman until it comes to sports and then she has to compete in the mens events.
    Is it for me to tell someone who has probably known from an early age they was born into the wrong body and lived with it for years.
    And it gives me a headache thinking about having to tell someone who lines up against Laurel, who was born a woman that she has no choice but to accept it.

Thank you for reminding us of the year we are in. I am sure that anybody who disagrees with you in any way will be reminded of this. 

What has 2021 got to do with having a different  view on trans gender people. 

I am pissed of with woke stances being raised or offering a calendar to argue a point. That is digression,  not an argument.  Or it is a way of insulting  someone  without having the balls to say what they think.

Not agreeing with re tendering or gender reassignment is not 'behind the times '. It is disagreeing. 

You could be insulting someone's religious beliefs or culture, but hey ,that counts for  bugger all now. Rant over

• Options
    Interesting that Caitlin Jenner is against transgender athletes competing with natural born females
  • Options
    clb74 said:
    clb74 said:

Thank you for reminding us of the year we are in. I am sure that anybody who disagrees with you in any way will be reminded of this. 

I am pissed of with woke stances being raised or offering a calendar to argue a point. That is digression,  not an argument.  Or it is a way of insulting  someone  without having the balls to say what they think.

Not agreeing with re tendering or gender reassignment is not 'behind the times '. It is disagreeing. 

You could be insulting someone's religious beliefs or culture, but hey ,that counts for  bugger all now. Rant over

I see what you did there.

But aren't they also entitled to an opinion?
  • Options
    Interesting that Caitlin Jenner is against transgender athletes competing with natural born females
    Not especially, Jenner thinks that rules only apply to poor people anyway. Her political views have always been conservative because again she's been rich/"important" enough to just ignore anything she doesn't like or doesn't suit her personally.

(And that's all I'm saying on the matter as otherwise this veers into politics/HoC matters.)
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    thenewbie said:
    Not especially, Jenner thinks that rules only apply to poor people anyway. Her political views have always been conservative because again she's been rich/"important" enough to just ignore anything she doesn't like or doesn't suit her personally.

(And that's all I'm saying on the matter as otherwise this veers into politics/HoC matters.)
    Why bring her political views in? Everyone is allowed an opinion irrespective of their political views? Her view is the trans athlete has an unfair advantage? Nothing to do with her political views. Surely her experience as an athlete and transitioning is far more relevant?
  • Options
    Addickted said:
    clb74 said:
    clb74 said:

Of course. They're entitled to an opinion, but their opinion shouldn't carry more weight than anybody else's, and it shouldn't be allowed to affect how anybody else lives their life.

Others are also entitled to mock their opinion
  • Options
    I've never suggested it should.

But why do you feel it necessary to mock their opinion? Argue against it of course, but mock, insult, call out, scream 'racist', 'fascist', 'homophobe', 'islamophobia', 'anti-Semitic' achieves nothing but entrenches their opinions.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Addickted said:
    clb74 said:
    clb74 said:

.I don’t get what he did…
  • Options
    Mocked @addick1956 for being a white elderly gammon.

Even though he has expressed opposite views elsewhere on this board - but that doesn't count of course.
  • Options
    I think opinions are something we can't help but have. We do need to question ourselves when our opinions hurt or oppress others and there has to be a balance. I mean, there was a prevailing opinion that homosexuality was wrong and on the day the Alan Turing £50 note has been launched, there is a clear example of how that was wrong and oppressive. It is good we have moved forwards from there and it is right we challenge ourselves surely. 
  • Options
    Addickted said:
    clb74 said:
    clb74 said:

Of course. They're entitled to an opinion, but their opinion shouldn't carry more weight than anybody else's, and it shouldn't be allowed to affect how anybody else lives their life.

Mocking is not argument,  it is ignorance and a failure to engage. I now know what your stupid photos are . You assume  I am elderly and white and I assume racist, islamophobic and anti gay.

Having worked in Africa I am not racist and neither am I anti any religious group. I am not anti gay either. I just get fed up with people going on about sexuality and gender. Why are people so obsessed  with that ?

People like you Leroy are an irritation on the bum of life. You mock people in silly pictures when they disagree with you . Quite ridiculous.  
    I mean, you *literally* posted 'Giving up the streets to the colonies' a few weeks back. You're like The Gammon King - I'll take 'being an irritation on the bum of life' over being a closet bigot, thanks.
  • Options
    Addickted said:
    clb74 said:
    clb74 said:

Mocking is not argument,  it is ignorance and a failure to engage. I now know what your stupid photos are . You assume  I am elderly and white and I assume racist, islamophobic and anti gay.

Having worked in Africa I am not racist and neither am I anti any religious group. I am not anti gay either. I just get fed up with people going on about sexuality and gender. Why are people so obsessed  with that ?

People like you Leroy are an irritation on the bum of life. You mock people in silly pictures when they disagree with you . Quite ridiculous.  
    I mean, you *literally* posted 'Giving up the streets to the colonies' a few weeks back. You're like The Gammon King - I'll take 'being an irritation on the bum of life' over being a closet bigot, thanks.
    AGAIN!

I started this thread to engage in adult conversation about a serious topic imho.

If you want to mock/name call/belittle people then start your own fecking thread as I’m genuinely interested in all views on this matter.

Thank you.
  • Options
    Addickted said:
    clb74 said:
    clb74 said:

AGAIN!

I started this thread to engage in adult conversation about a serious topic imho.

If you want to mock/name call/belittle people then start your own fecking thread as I’m genuinely interested in all views on this matter.

Thank you.
    Apologies. |I think I contributed something valuable earlier, but have become derailed.
  • Options
    I think opinions are something we can't help but have. We do need to question ourselves when our opinions hurt or oppress others and there has to be a balance. I mean, there was a prevailing opinion that homosexuality was wrong and on the day the Alan Turing £50 note has been launched, there is a clear example of how that was wrong and oppressive. It is good we have moved forwards from there and it is right we challenge ourselves surely. 
    We are indeed very fortunate to live in (what I, at least, consider to be) a society where the overwhelming majority of people take the view that people should be free to do as they choose as long as they are not hurting anyone else. That is definitely an improvement on taking a moral point of view "cos God says".
    The really intractable difficulties come, of course, for our kind of society in cases like Laurel Hubbard where two sets of rights/freedoms are in direct opposition to each other.
  • Options
    We are indeed very fortunate to live in (what I, at least, consider to be) a society where the overwhelming majority of people take the view that people should be free to do as they choose as long as they are not hurting anyone else. That is definitely an improvement on taking a moral point of view "cos God says".
    The really intractable difficulties come, of course, for our kind of society in cases like Laurel Hubbard where two sets of rights/freedoms are in direct opposition to each other.
    That's the problem, in a nut shell.