Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

England v Germany - Match Thread

Comments

• Options
    aliwibble said:
    50% Winner 
    30% Runner up
    10% Losing Semi Finalists
    10% Losing Quarter Finalists 

It's coming home baby,  it's fucking coming home !!
    Oh no, Oohaah's feeling positive, isn't that usually a bad omen?
    I was punchy when we got promoted 2019 but had us as losing play off finalists 
    but pretty positive for me !! 
  • Options

Still think 2-1 England with Kane on the score sheet.

The baggage needs to be Jettisoned  by this group of England players as they shouldn't be burdened by so many years of abject failure at the Euro's.

Did you think Muller would score you Donut.
  • Options
    Good result.  I thought we were slow for most of the game, but once we got the goal we seemed to show what we can do.

I’ve felt Southgate has been to close minded in the group games, but he got it spot on today.  Pleased for Kane as I felt he’s had a very poor tournament.  That goal and now is a great place to kick on.  I get the point about service, but if he’s playing the lone role up top (which I believe he is, despite it being labelled as a front 3), he needs to be a bit more mobile.  I’m not asking him to adopt an approach like Vardy, just a bit more movement.  It will matter if we get through to the semis and final.

Apart from that, great at the back.  No goals conceded is impressive.  I just can’t get carried away.  Years of watching us gives us a little bit of warranted skepticism, a win in the second round of a knockout tournament won’t magic that away.

Whoever we get of Ukraine Sweden will be a different prospect.  If it’s Ukraine I think they will raise their game like Scotland did, so beware of that.

On the whole very pleased as it’s nice to get a win and beat Germany (we have a terrible record against them in tournaments), however, we will need to show more.  That’s not to dampen today, but we can’t assume we’re good enough to go further.  
  • Options
    Such a shame Italy is amber. Would be over there in a heartbeat.
  • Options
    Yessssssss, just fucking yessss get in, bollocks to tomorrow let's live today yesssssss! 
  • Options
    Won't ever beat the "everything....EVERYTHING" video. Cracks me up each time I see it...
  • Options
    https://youtu.be/HgEXi-4aIlY

Have a watch...its pretty relevant atm!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    We had a shaky opening 10 minutes, but once things settled down, England always looked the better side, imo. Yes Germany had their chances - but they're Germany, they will always have players good enough to hurt you. Overall I thought we beat them in a fashion they often beat us, by just being a bit better all over the pitch.

The negativity that surrounds any England performance is getting ridiculous, I swear some fans expect England to spend the entire time camped in the opposition's defensive third and surrender zero shots against. Anything less than that and people just think England are shit. Germany aren't the force they were but they're still good and England just largely nulified them and created chances against them.

Sterling will always frustrate, but he's delivering when it matters. Kane looks lacking in something, but he played a part in the first goal with a nice control and lay-off (choosing the right option in the process) and then got his goal. Hopefully it kicks starts him from here. The defence we were told would come unstuck against anyone decent just kept a 4th clean sheet on the trot, and the much maligned Phillips had his 4th good game of the tournament. The starting XI had England in the game at the hour mark, and the subs changed things up for the better.

Honestly, from my perspective, it couldn't have gone much better and England played like genuine contenders.

We'll probably fuck it up against Sweden or Ukraine now but definitely time for few people to lighten up a bit and enjoy the ride.
    This.
  • Options

Yeah, well. Remember when we beat them 5-1 in Munich? What did they do after? They completely overhauled their international set up and made all bundesliga clubs set up academies with a mandatory minimum investment. As a wise mate of mine said to me way back in 94 (and we were talking about their economy which was struggling after unification)
    ”Everyone’s laughing at the Germans now, but you wait and see, they’ll be back, bigger and stronger than ever”…
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    Sweden ain't bad are they
    Wrong thread sorry 
  • Options
    Watch this. Stadium audio only, no commentary. Chills.

https://streamable.com/izilmw
    And 2-0.

https://streamable.com/8suy05
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Grealish is such an arrogant dick. 

Good player though. 
    Arrogant Dick? Couldn’t disagree more. Always comes across as a top bloke and he does so much for charity that goes unnoticed. His sister is heavily disabled and his little brother died, so he’s not had it that easy. Very level headed bloke.

Yeah, but he has a hair style....
    It was from his interview. 

Fair play if I've got the wrong impression of him, just what I got from his 5 minute interview of talking about himself. Seems like he didn't even realise there were other players on the pitch. 
    I wish you would read the things you say you've read and listen to the things you say you've listened to.
    How can you get so much wrong so often?
    A couple of days ago it was that "racist" article about Sako, which was in fact a glowing report and when challenged you couldn't provide anything to back it up.
    You said there was no mention of Sako living with his family and yet I quoted to you 5 separate mentions of Sako living with his parents. You didn't reply. 
    I'm afraid you make up your closed mind on a subject and then just plough on regardless of the facts.
  • Options
    Great team performance today. I was pleased we did show more attacking intent than previous group games. Maybe the management deserves more credit from people like me who have given them stick. Got everything right today. Long may it continue we will never have a better chance than now. 
  • Options
    Maguire, Stones and Sterling were a touch above anybody else for me.
    Mom I'd have to watch again to decide 
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    DRAddick said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Kane's header was wildly poor, but it went in so it was perfect.

With his head angle though he'd have headed wide if he got it right! 
    It was a perfect header. Put it where he wanted to, giving the keeper no chance. Plenty of negatives to say about his performance, stop making stuff up to be negative.
    You kidding? It came off the side of his head he was trying to head it with the front.

I don't care either way a goal is a goal and the intent was to score.
    Just seen the goal in super slow-mo and I can confirm I was incorrect. He did just get it off his forehead.

Very well done Harry, great nod down.
  • Options
    edited June 2021

Yeah, well. Remember when we beat them 5-1 in Munich? What did they do after? They completely overhauled their international set up and made all bundesliga clubs set up academies with a mandatory minimum investment. As a wise mate of mine said to me way back in 94 (and we were talking about their economy which was struggling after unification)
    ”Everyone’s laughing at the Germans now, but you wait and see, they’ll be back, bigger and stronger than ever”…
    England 2 - Germany 0

Tonight.

BBC

England struck twice late on to end a 55-year wait for a knockout tie victory over Germany amid scenes of huge tension and elation at Wembley to reach the Euro 2020 quarter-finals.

Gareth Southgate's side battled hard to earn the statement victory that has so often eluded England, and it was their talisman of this tournament, Raheem Sterling, who made the decisive breakthrough.

Sterling, who scored the winners against Croatia and the Czech Republic in the group stage, steered in Luke Shaw's cross after 75 minutes to send England's fans, with more than 40,000 inside Wembley, into wild celebrations.

• Options
    England will smash either Sweden or Ukraine 
  • Options
    Probably beat them both at the same time to be honest