Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

England v Germany - Match Thread

1343536373840»

Comments

• Options
    bobmunro said:
    cfgs said:
    I genuinely think you have to be old enough to remember Italia 90 to truly appreciate last night. You youngsters enjoy the victory but us veterans lived the pain.

I won't disagree. I'll add 1970 as well because I'm really old!

Lots of ghosts exorcised yesterday.
    1970 was my first 'how the feck did we lose that?' moment in football.

• Options
    colthe3rd said:
    I must be one of the only people that find him quite charismatic. He seems approachable, genuine, friendly, intelligent. I’d rather listen to him talk about the game than someone like Allardyce. I don’t always agree with what he says or even his tactics, but he’s got a lot more experience and coaching badges that I could ever dream of, so you just gotta trust what he’s trying to achieve.
    I think Southgate is extremely likeable. Mourinho is charismatic but he’s also a bit of Dick. Southgate is thoughtful, intelligent, articulate, and genuine (I don’t know how anyone could not be pleased for him after  his comments about carrying the pain of that penalty miss and guilt towards his teammates for 25 years). He’s the right man to be leading this group of players and it shouldn’t be underestimated what a good job he’s done fostering team spirit and allowing the players to be themselves. 

Their stance on the taking the knee thing, things like the tweet from Henderson yesterday to that Queer fan - I think Southgate and this team are providing a bit of a figure head and voice for a more liberal section of English society that currently is not being well represented by the media and politicians. That’s part of why I personally want to see this lot succeed more than any England team before, but it’s also made them a target for some people that don’t like their stance on some of these things. 
    Nail on the head here. Exactly why I think those anti Southgate appear to be vehemently so, I suspect if you plotted a graph there would be a very strong correlation between the booers and those asking him to be sacked before the tournament.
    Don't think that's true in the slightest. 
  • Options
    ozaddick said:
    Southgate is a mug
    #WhoIsaMug? #JustSaying