Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

England v Germany - Match Thread

Comments

• Options
    What a fantastic night, watched the game in the River Ale House, great beer and an excellent night's football, just in and London was bouncing all the way home.

Love big tournaments, love England and can't wait for Saturday. 
  • Options
    cafctom said:
    Absolutely steaming. Great night down the Anglesey Arms in Woolwich.

For those of you who were determined to criticise England/Southgate at every move, hope you’re feeling as embarrassed as you should be. 
    Omg that's a blast from the past , watched the palace  v man utd cup final replay in there 1990 and was fucking trashed on Hürlimann Beer also known as hooligans , do they still sell it down there ...... not sure if we watched the first drawn one down there 
    @paulbaconsarnie and @ThreadKiller were there as well 
    proper twilight zone down there
    I’ve no idea. All I can tell you was that it was absolute carnage when both goals went in, and there were a load of Charlton in there.
  • Options
    In all honesty I thought the atmosphere (from watching at home) wasn’t as banging as i thought it would be , when it was 0-0 felt a bit tense and there were patches of good noise and some very quiet bits 
    obviously once we scored complete and utter bedlam and scenes and noise but I’m looking for the crowd to be mental and up for it for 90 mins which isn’t ever gonna happen in reality , there’s never enough mad for it roaring lunatics at games here 
  • Options
    Fascinating to see how GS approaches the Ukraine game now, as others have said on here they look distinctly average and basically defend with eight players, as Yarmalenko and the other forward don't bother either pressing or chasing back if a defender gets the other side of them. This is definitely a game to be more offensive minded, and I'd love to see Mount in for Phillips, and go back to a back four again, as this lot look there for the taking, and the only way we can lose, is if they take us to penalties.

I'd go with:

Pickford

Walker
    Stones
    Maguire
    Shaw

Henderson
    Rice
    Mount

Foden
    Kane
    Sterling

Obviously look to get Grealish on as early as possible in the second half, and get Phillips on for Rice if we are going well. This game can be a real 'statement' game for England, and set us up for a much tougher semi-final against either the Czechs or the Danes.
  • Options
    Whether I like the football or not Southgate has a plan and is sticking to it. Four games without conceding is some achievement and we look very hard to break down.

We definitely have a great chance of making the final.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Ever since I paid £300.00 for 2 tickets for that semi final I have waited  for this moment,saw the last game at Wembley,will never forgive the officials for Lampards not given goal, in a world cup I saw Robinson balls up to give them a 2-1 in  a friendly,now all forgotten .I have had a go at Sterling in the past,but no more,this kid is a diamond for his country.
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    The infamous Barry Glendenning said Germany had equally good chances, but we just took ours. The xG tells a similar story, but I don't think it's true. Sterling and Kane's chances were so well-worked, they were tap-ins into a mostly empty net. Germany did create chances but they still had the keeper to beat, and the early one was from a difficult angle. Our chances were much more clear-cut and thought we deserved it in the end.

Still buzzing today.
  • Options
    cfgs said:
    I genuinely think you have to be old enough to remember Italia 90 to truly appreciate last night. You youngsters enjoy the victory but us veterans lived the pain.

I won't disagree. I'll add 1970 as well because I'm really old!

Lots of ghosts exorcised yesterday.
  • Options
    cfgs said:
    I genuinely think you have to be old enough to remember Italia 90 to truly appreciate last night. You youngsters enjoy the victory but us veterans lived the pain.
    I really agree with this.  I was 15 in 1966 but missed watching extra time as I had to go and do my evening paper round.  Mind you, in 1970 I went to the IOW to see Hendrix but fell asleep before he came on.
  • Options
    Ukraine looked dreadful. Nothing to fear there.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    cfgs said:

cfgs said:
    I really agree with this.  I was 15 in 1966 but missed watching extra time as I had to go and do my evening paper round.  Mind you, in 1970 I went to the IOW to see Hendrix but fell asleep before he came on.
    Interestingly the boyfriend of my eldest thinks I am lucky as I have seen more "success" than him as he is only 25.

• Options
    Grealish MUST play.   Turned the game.    Finds a little more space, a little more creativity and a little more ability to bring others into play.
    Walker was fabulous sweeping round behind an out of position Stones.
    I don't agree completely with Southgate's tactics and selections, but we are getting the job done.
    I don't think we are as good as we are making out, but confidence will help these lads go a long way.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    bobmunro said:
    cfgs said:

With you on that one,stood absolutely dumbfounded outside my house when we lost that.Wonder what Macron and Merkel are thinking about Plague Island and little Englanders this morning.
  • Options
    cfgs said:
    I wasnt into Football to remember Italia 90... But I certainly remember the pain of Euro 96

Really thought that Kane's miss in the first half may have been our Gazza moment
  • Options
    cfgs said:
    Whilst, you might be correct. I am not sure i agree here, i was 3 years old. Last night the elation after the result i literally had tears following that result, it was such a big result in the context and also with all the history against us etc.

I watched it indoors on my own aswell so no outside factors or being caught in the moment, it genuinely was as good as us winning the play offs. Sounds bizarre as its only the last 16 but god i was buzzing and so happy to beat the Germans. 

Fair fucks to Southgate, Sterling, Kane proving the haters/ anti brigade wrong. Lets hope we can kick on and go for it a bit more against the so called weaker teams starting with Ukraine
  • Options
    ...and now I see that cross from Luke Shaw, Sterling opens the score, Harry bangs in one more... 
  • Options
    Another ode to those who went through the pain of Italia 90.

And as we head off to Italy again needing to stand tall - let’s give some airtime to my personal number one soundtrack to an England tournament summer:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Re4aDJL3heA