Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

England v Germany - Match Thread

Comments

• Options
    cfgs said:
    I genuinely think you have to be old enough to remember Italia 90 to truly appreciate last night. You youngsters enjoy the victory but us veterans lived the pain.
    I go back to 1970 World Cup and being 2-0 up against West Germany only to lose 2-3 (Muller) and Peter Bonetti’s blunder. Arrghhh - the pain is still there. But thanks for yesterday’s win. 
  • Options
    What is Patently clear if CL match thread is anything to go by is a complete lack of understanding of different ways to win football matches and the roles of "wing backs" 
    Luke Shaw in the second half was excellent and was instrumental in both of the England goals. Luke is ideal for a wing back even if defensively he can look vulnerable. Trippier role was different yesterday because he and Walker worked in tandem to subdue the Impressive Gosens who was MOM against Portugal and it worked as Gosens was negated.
    Karl Walker in 2021 is a different player to the player who bombed forward at every opportunity and would make mistakes at the back. Karl still has his pace but his awareness in defence has been impeccable and his relationship with his fellow Yorkshire lads, Maguire and Stones was spot on.

I would imagine other than Tutt Tutt I have seen more academy football than most on here and full backs are constantly told to pass back and side ways to keep retention of the ball. When the play is on the other side they bomb forward into space which may just be a decoy run or they actually receive the ball in an advanced position.

Luke Shaw proved yesterday by his pin point pass to Sterling for the first goal from out wide and his inception and run in a central position that resulted in Jack Grealish's lovely ball for Kane to join the party that wing backs or attacking full backs are game changers. 

I said before the tournament started on CL that Shaw and Chilwell were very similar and even though I named Shaw, Chilwell can do the same. Fate has conspired against Chilwell but if Shaw gets a knock then a like for like replacement is available now. 
    actually really, really rate walker on the right side of a 3. He's getting on, but he's still apparently our fastest player in training drills. I don't think any striker will get the better of him moving into the channels.

I think kane absolutely needed a chance like the one he put away - a chance to come to him quickly, based on pure instinct, not enough time to overthink it and for him to come away thinking "oh yeah, i am actually a really instinctive goalscorer, i can just relax into it".

Best possible result the 2-0, clean sheet but two decent team goals.
  • Options
    Solidgone said:
    cfgs said:
    I genuinely think you have to be old enough to remember Italia 90 to truly appreciate last night. You youngsters enjoy the victory but us veterans lived the pain.
    I go back to 1970 World Cup and being 2-0 up against West Germany only to lose 2-3 (Muller) and Peter Bonetti’s blunder. Arrghhh - the pain is still there. But thanks for yesterday’s win. 

That game totally changed when Bobby Charlton was subbed when England were 2 nil up to save him for the next round and his man marker Beckenbaur pushed up and the rest is history.
    I believe the 1970 world cup was the first WC when you could use a sub ? Considering Peacock from our Parish was the first to be used in England in 66 this must be the case.
  • Options
    What is Patently clear if CL match thread is anything to go by is a complete lack of understanding of different ways to win football matches and the roles of "wing backs" 
    Luke Shaw in the second half was excellent and was instrumental in both of the England goals. Luke is ideal for a wing back even if defensively he can look vulnerable. Trippier role was different yesterday because he and Walker worked in tandem to subdue the Impressive Gosens who was MOM against Portugal and it worked as Gosens was negated.
    Karl Walker in 2021 is a different player to the player who bombed forward at every opportunity and would make mistakes at the back. Karl still has his pace but his awareness in defence has been impeccable and his relationship with his fellow Yorkshire lads, Maguire and Stones was spot on.

I would imagine other than Tutt Tutt I have seen more academy football than most on here and full backs are constantly told to pass back and side ways to keep retention of the ball. When the play is on the other side they bomb forward into space which may just be a decoy run or they actually receive the ball in an advanced position.

Luke Shaw proved yesterday by his pin point pass to Sterling for the first goal from out wide and his inception and run in a central position that resulted in Jack Grealish's lovely ball for Kane to join the party that wing backs or attacking full backs are game changers. 

I said before the tournament started on CL that Shaw and Chilwell were very similar and even though I named Shaw, Chilwell can do the same. Fate has conspired against Chilwell but if Shaw gets a knock then a like for like replacement is available now. 
    actually really, really rate walker on the right side of a 3. He's getting on, but he's still apparently our fastest player in training drills. I don't think any striker will get the better of him moving into the channels.

I think kane absolutely needed a chance like the one he put away - a chance to come to him quickly, based on pure instinct, not enough time to overthink it and for him to come away thinking "oh yeah, i am actually a really instinctive goalscorer, i can just relax into it".

That's how we played in 2018, his pace is useful at covering faster forwards. Indeed when most teams play 3 at the back now, they don't have 3 out and out CBs as you're not marking 3 big No 9s
  • Options
    cafctom said:
    The pain of losing to Germany at Euro 96 when I was 8 years old was strong. I’d go as far as saying it was the first time I felt properly heartbroken about something in life at that point!

The vindication of last night felt big. And for Southgate to be the man to lead it. At Wembley. Incredible storytelling really! 

I was 14 at the time and was absolutely gutted. Worse that it was not more than a couple of months after Palace had knocked us out of the playoffs too. 

Couldn't even finish watching the Sweden Ukraine game last night as I was too buzzing to sit still. What a chance we have now. Here's hoping we don't fuck it up. 
  • Options

The thing I really liked after the game was how much you could see Kane was buzzing in his interview. That goal could be massive for him and other teams will probably be dreading the fact he is off the mark in a game like that.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Also, anyone with Instagram watch Rob Becketts stories 😂
    Actually in tears at those.
  • Options
    So proud to be English today. My head hurts like fok tho.
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    Thought first half Shaw looked slightly clueless as to where he should be playing. Was almost playing next to Maguire and when we got the ball he couldn’t push forward apart from one free kick he won, but that could have been down to the intelligence of Muller. Second half he played much further forward and looked a totally different player. 

No matter how well you've done, you will always eat KFC, sitting on the floor, next to a bin, while the police reverse into you. But as long as you enjoy it.

And that gem was before he got hold of the megaphone.
  • Options
    I'll hold my hands up and admit that my opinion of GS hasn't been very favourable, I thought him taking off Sako last night was stupid. Plus his club managerial record is poor.

He's been a success for the national team though. We haven't won anything (yet) but we've overcome mental and psychological 'walls' under him that much higher esteemed managers couldn't achieve. 

I guess I expected England to be more attack minded, instead of measured, a  'We'll score one more than you' attitude. Not like the Italy of old. 

But what he's done is brilliant. After last night my admiration has grown massively. I got it wrong, he has been the man to lead us. 

I think its down to the unity, spirit and belief he has installed. That the X factor of a great manager. 
    It's what differentiates the nearly to the winners. The squad believe in him. Again, far from an easy task. 

So if we go on and record 1-0 wins all the way, the only thing that will matter is that we will finally be European champions. 
  • Options
    Thought first half Shaw looked slightly clueless as to where he should be playing. Was almost playing next to Maguire and when we got the ball he couldn’t push forward apart from one free kick he won, but that could have been down to the intelligence of Muller. Second half he played much further forward and looked a totally different player. 

Absolutely superb, Imran and the megaphone.

"Oi, you, is it coming home?"
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Grealish turned the game because he came on against a tiring Germany. I do not believe he'd have added any more than Saka did had he started in his place. 

Southgate is getting it right so far. As boring as the football may seem. 
    I'm happy starting either Grealish or Saka and the sub coming on fresh to run at a tiring defence.
    This way hopefully both our players are keeping fresh.
    We've got 3 more games in 11 days if we make the final.
  • Options
    edited June 2021

When ever the 3 at the back becomes a 5 you know the opposition are on the offensive and Shaw was indeed pegged back with limited options in the First half and that was credit to Muller and their game plan. Muller has had a fantastic career for Germany and Bayern Munich since he was a 19 year old who highlighted how slow Gareth Barry was in that 4-1 defeat and personally found it Cathartic that our Nemesis missed a chance that 9 times out of 10 he would have taken with aplomb.
    Being a 50/50 match it was going to come down to who took their few chances and we took two of ours where for once against England, Germany's chances were saved or missed.

Maybe Charlton will beat Millwall one day or do miracles take longer !
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Valley11 said:
    That was a superb night. Momentous. Whatever happens in this tournament, a WC semi final and beating the Germans at Wembley, knocking them out will live long in the memory. 
    Disagree with that. It means nothing but a little step in the right direction if we don't win the tournament.

We beat them in 2000 but I'd forgotten all about it. 90 & 96 are a far too deep- rooted football traumatism for either the 2000 win or yesterday's match to cure.
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    Valley11 said:
    That was a superb night. Momentous. Whatever happens in this tournament, a WC semi final and beating the Germans at Wembley, knocking them out will live long in the memory. 
    Disagree with that. It means nothing but a little step in the right direction if we don't win the tournament.

We beat them in 2000 but I'd forgotten all about it. 90 & 96 are a far too deep- rooted football traumatism for either the 2000 win or yesterday's match to cure.
    2000 didnt really matter, we could have drawn that game and a win against Romania would have sent us through

Nothing short of a win in the others was needed though

What shocked me when I looked into it before the game, that was our first win over Germany here @ Wembley since 1975
  • Options
    Valley11 said:

I agree, we have to at the very least get to the final, and Southgate said as much in his interview, or that result counts for nothing.
  • Options
    Ukraine are absolutely bang average, even they could hardly believe they got that winner against the Swedes.

Sweden going out is an unbelievable bit of luck for England, we know that they can play 4-5-1 and frustrate anyone as they did against Spain in that 0-0 draw.

Ukraine, on the other hand, have nothing going forward and Yarmulenko went off injured too so may not play against England - not that he'd be a major threat.

The only way Ukraine beat us is if we allow them to bore their way to a 0-0 draw and beat us on penalties, I don't think Southgate will do it but I'd be tempted to play a very attacking team and let them at it.

Ukraine can't hurt England from open play from what we have seen from them so why give them a chance of a sucker punch win as the Swedes did?

Disagree
    . The first lesson in these tournaments to learn is to respect all opposition and never to underate them. Then you might win. France didn't rate Switzerland against their experimental defence and paid the price.

I asked myself: would even our tight defence have prevented Ukraine's first goal? I decided not because it was pure quality.
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    Valley11 said:

I agree - the 2010 result doesn't have the same resonance as 90 and 96 as it was a Last 16 game, we were playing shite anyway etc.

We need to push on from here.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    cfgs said:

I won't disagree. I'll add 1970 as well because I'm really old!

Lots of ghosts exorcised yesterday.
    With you on that one,stood absolutely dumbfounded outside my house when we lost that.Wonder what Macron and Merkel are thinking about Plague Island and little Englanders this morning.
    Bizarre comment. After all, it's not as if the UK have put France or Germany on the green list.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    cfgs said:

I won't disagree. I'll add 1970 as well because I'm really old!

Lots of ghosts exorcised yesterday.
    With you on that one,stood absolutely dumbfounded outside my house when we lost that.Wonder what Macron and Merkel are thinking about Plague Island and little Englanders this morning.
    Probably exactly the same, except for thinking our football team won a match?