Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

England v Germany - Match Thread

Comments

• Options
    Tbf I dont think Mings did much wrong and Ukraine like to cross the ball and he has been pretty solid dealing with crosses. Not ideal no but if Maguire gets a booking I would rather Mings play Ukraine than Denmark
  • Options
    I don't think you can rest players in a QF, regardless of who you are playing. 
    It's not resting, it's protecting. I'd rather play mings and not risk losing Maguire for the Semi. Mings is good enough to play against Ukraine.
  • Options
    That has to be true. We can believe that they are potentially the least challenging opponents we have faced in the competition and we are probably right. But Southgate or the players have to approach the game as if they will be the most challenging. That doesn't mean that on looking at their strengths and weaknesses we don't set up differently and if we are comfortable we try a few things we wouldn't otherwise.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    It's not resting, it's protecting. I'd rather play mings and not risk losing Maguire for the Semi. Mings is good enough to play against Ukraine.
    Surely no manager would risk the backlash if he put out non-first XI on a major tournament quarter final and his team got beat. 

At this stage you play your best players available in each game.
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Surely no manager would risk the backlash if he put out non-first XI on a major tournament quarter final and his team got beat. 

Trouble is if we beat Ukraine yet lose to Denmark because we dont have Maguire, Phillips, Rice you just know that the social media / newspaper arguments will turn on its head and the question will be why werent those three rested
  • Options
    Maguire got 15 yellows in 54 apps for United last season. You’d trust him not to get booked in a game where the defence shouldn’t be under much pressure.
  • Options
    cafctom said:
    Tell you what. There are 1 or 2 posters who were battering Southgate / England on every single page before last night, and they’re nowhere to be seen right now. 
    Maybe because it's a wednesday and there's no games on for two days? 

I think you'll find most of those posters after last night praised the team and are now giving Southgate plenty of credit. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    cafctom said:
    Tell you what. There are 1 or 2 posters who were battering Southgate / England on every single page before last night, and they’re nowhere to be seen right now. 
    They'll be back as soon as we get knocked out.

Unless of course it really does come home, in that case their profile pics should be replaced with screenshots of their anti Gareth comments.

For now I'd like to say "Party on Garth" (Gareth)
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    Dazzler21 said:

Trouble is if we beat Ukraine yet lose to Denmark because we dont have Maguire, Phillips, Rice you just know that the social media / newspaper arguments will turn on its head and the question will be why werent those three rested
    Southgate has been brave enough to ignore the media so far, so I can't see him being swayed now.
    He'll do what he thinks is right.
  • Options
    Maguire got 15 yellows in 54 apps for United last season. You’d trust him not to get booked in a game where the defence shouldn’t be under much pressure.
    Trouble is it’s not necessarily all down to Maguire. One daft bit of refereeing, or a stupid pass by a teammate that means he has to “take one for the team” to stop a Ukrainian going through on goal (like Rice did vs Germany) and he’s out of the next game. 

You don’t want to treat this like a Carabao Cup second round match but England are now blessed with enough depth that you can protect Magiire and one of Rice and Phillips without really weakening the team. 
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Grealish turned the game because he came on against a tiring Germany. I do not believe he'd have added any more than Saka did had he started in his place. 

Southgate is getting it right so far. As boring as the football may seem. 
    Different perspective (for the purposes 'balance') -

You could argue that Southgate is getting it right and that he's a tactical genius; or, you could also argue that he's fumbling in the dark and riding his luck(?). His decisions are underpinned by his risk-averse nature.

For instance, if Havertz's half volley had gone 6 inches either side of Pickford, it's a goal. If Müller hadn't have missed a sitter, it's extra time and penalties, etc. 

Germany were a pedestrian, mediocre side. Yes, history makes us view the result in a slightly blinkered way, but they are not a great side at all. Just like the road to the 2018 semi-final, we haven't faced anyone to really test us. In this instance, that will now not happen until the final, and that's when Southgate should be judged, arguably.

I personally don't understand the propensity to insist that we play with 2 defensive midfielders, just like I don't understand how Grealish doesn't start, but then again that's why I am not a football manager. At the end of the day, it's a game of opinions 'Saint' and we are in a quarter-final! Nonetheless, I am enjoying the ride.
  • Options
    You can question Southgates team selection and tactics whilst acknowledging the team is doing well. 

how many times have you seen Charlton lose a game but said you wouldn’t be able to watch that opposition all season due to the way they play.? 

90% of pre tournament comments were about how much attacking flair this squad has and that we should be really going for it against teams and how the defence is weak link. 

Southgate has addressed the defensive side of things at a cost to the attack. The number of goal attempts we have in the group games attests to that. 

I’m an ideal world we would the tournament playing like Brazil 70 but if not that, then let’s just try and win. 

Southgate is pragmatic. He is there to get the result and not high scores for looking pretty on the pitch. 
  • Options
    It would make sense to rest Maguire,and either Rice or Phillips,the team would not be weakened by playing Mings,or Henderson.
  • Options
    It would make sense to rest Maguire,and either Rice or Phillips,the team would not be weakened by playing Mings,or Henderson.

Agreed
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Watch this. Stadium audio only, no commentary. Chills.

https://streamable.com/izilmw
    Three things stand out from that:

1) George hasn't a clue what's happened.  Why did William and Kate take him?  They could have picked up any kid who knows about football on the way to the ground and stuck him in that privileged seat.

2) Why was Neuer diving before the ball even got to Sterling?  If he'd stayed on his feet he might have got to the ball.

3) Pickford at the end looks like he's kicked the post without any boots on.
  • Options
    Especially now we're not playing a central midfield of Lingard & Alli.
  • Options
    OK, lets get our feet back on the ground now, enough of how great we are. We won our last game, but The Germans are not the all conquering force they once were, although still a force to be reckoned with. We have rode our luck well, (all 4 games), they didn't. We had two goals, that in the cold light of day, were as good as any passing movement goal from any team in the euros. But we did have few errors that on another day would have cost us. At 0-0 even a bad team can sneak a goal and then park the bus, that could of but happily didn't happen.  That wasn't a final and I have seen this euphoria all before only to be severely disappointed.     
    As much as it seems we have a favorable draw the other teams will have a game plan to combat ours, especially at this stage. I don't believe there are bad sides in the Euros, some are better than others, some have a large slice good luck and some have the opposite. If I sound a little negative that come from supporting Charlton and England for bloody decades. I know other teams don't and won't relish playing us, certainly not in the QF & hopefully the SF, (and dare I say it final) at Wembley  but like most England supporters we have seen so many false dawns. 
  • Options
    Watch this. Stadium audio only, no commentary. Chills.

https://streamable.com/izilmw
    Three things stand out from that:

1) George hasn't a clue what's happened.  Why did William and Kate take him?  They could have picked up any kid who knows about football on the way to the ground and stuck him in that privileged seat.

2) Why was Neuer diving before the ball even got to Sterling?  If he'd stayed on his feet he might have got to the ball.

3) Pickford at the end looks like he's kicked the post without any boots on.
    This first bit isnt a criticism of point two but Neuer is one of the best Goalkeepers in the world.

It looks like he's got down on his knees early as he's able to anticipate exactly what type of shot is coming from Sterling - Had Sterling fluffed his effort closer to Neuer, then the 'keeper was already down at that level and could have been a comfortable save, had he still been on his feet then I imagine he'd have been forced to use his feet to try and save it, else he wasnt getting down quick enough.