Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

England v Germany - Match Thread

Comments

• Options
    edited June 2021
    Laddick01 said:

So would that be:

Pickford
    Walker Stones Maguire
    Saka Rice Phillips Shaw
    Sterling Kane Saka

Seems like we’d match the Germans up 343.
    Its reporting 5 at the back later in the article so I imagine

Pickford
    Trippier/James Walker Stones Maguire Shaw
    Rice Phillips
    Saka Kane Sterling 
    I think it's probably our best 11 at the moment.

I'm not that keen on Rice (I actually think Henderson played well for 45 mins last week) and would love to fit Grealish in there but I don't know how. Saka deserves the start after the Czech game and Sterlings goals render him undroppable imo.

Grealish for Rice and Foden for Saka are the obvious subs if we're chasing the game

If we are playing five at the back, we surely can't play two holding midfielders as well. I've got an idea, why not play 10 at the back?
    It's not really 5 at the back anymore though is it. Trippier and Shaw will (hopefully) spend most of the game in Germanys half.
  • Options
    4-3-3 and you can fit Grealish in nicely. 
  • Options
    Haven't been this nervous for a game since the playoff final, cmon England!!
  • Options
    4-3-3 and you can fit Grealish in nicely. 
    Portugal showed how vulnerable Germany are to wing backs though. He'd be crazy to play 4 at the back against them.
  • Options
    Not sure why, you can still play wing backs and drop a midfielder in as appropriate. I thought Germany beat Portugal 4-2! If you have better attacking players, play them and impose your game on them.

If we are going 5 at the back, it is absolutely scandalous that anybody knows it. Opponents and us need to find out an hour before kick off.
  • Options
    edited June 2021
                                        Pickford
    Sterling Trippier Walker Henderson Stones Rice Maguire Shaw Saka

Kane

• Options
    edited June 2021
    That’s an ultra ultra ultra ultra ultra defensive line up from Gareth. Five defenders, two holding midfielders, only two out and out attacking players (Saka more of a wing back imo)….

like when Charlton used to play away at Old Trafford.

Expecting the same kind of result if that is the team. I get we need to be cautious but that’s trying not to lose rather than trying to win.
  • Options
    Not sure why, you can still play wing backs and drop a midfielder in as appropriate. I thought Germany beat Portugal 4-2! If you have better attacking players, play them and impose your game on them.

If we are going 5 at the back, it is absolutely scandalous that anybody knows it. Opponents and us need to find out an hour before kick off.
    Baffles me why the press are more desperate to leak team news

When an actual tournament victory would surely produce much more interest as well as over the longer term.
  • Options
    got a bad feeling about this, Southgate will need to be brave and select an attacking team, but I don't think he will .. two goals in three games shows how weak and fragile we are in attack and offensive midfield .. the defence and covering midfield are in pretty good order but that won't be enough to beat a German side starting to show some form, we can't rely on defence to win this .. the hope is that a noisy and fervent England crowd can lift the team and intimidate the Germans (slim hope there really)
     .. England will never have a better chance than this to win a major tournament for the first time for 56 years (YES fifty six) and the only way to do this is by playing attacking football .. forget 3 5 2 or 3 4 3, go for a fluid 4 4 2 ..
     Pickford .. Walker Stones Maguire Shaw .. Saka Phillips Grealish Mount .. Sterling Kane .. let the defence defend and select a side capable of scoring more than nil or one
  • Options
    I'm not normally a massive fan of Henderson but when he came on last game he was trying to pass forward and get things moving so wouldnt be upset if he started. If Saka is starting as reported then that is atleast showing some intent to push forward. The players will be aware that this game will have massive ramifications for the rest of their careers, win tonight and England will never get a better opportunity to win a major competition. As the saying goes "play the game and not the occasion" although easier said than done. I just cant believe that this group of players will let this chance slip they will know what it means to them and I'm confident that they will get the job done.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Baffles me why the press are more desperate to leak team news

When an actual tournament victory would surely produce much more interest as well as over the longer term.
    Desperate to leak it because we all click on it and discuss it cause we want to know, then they make £$£$. They don't care about how England do as a team.  Agree its crap though and it feels like we're the only team it happens to
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    Two centre midfielders is a bit of an alarm bell to me. 

Allowing players with the quality of Kroos and Gundogan plenty of space in the middle just asks for problems. 
  • Options
    I'd like to see Foden play deeper instead of one of the holding midfielders but I know that kind of positive change just isn't on Southgate's radar. 
  • Options
    If you said to any manager in Europe you'll have the likes of Mount, Grealish, Foden, Sancho, Bellingham and Rashford, but not a single one of them will start, they'd think you were fucking crazy.

I feel it's too negative, set up not to lose as usual. A back 5 plus 2 holding midfielders with all the attacking talent we have is madness. I just hope and pray Southgate doesn't fuck this up.
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    Cafc43v3r said:
    3 at the back, Trippier back in for his set pieces.  What he perms from the attacking players is anyone's guess but I would think Sterling and Kane will play.  If I had to guess

Pickford

Walker
    Stones
    Maguire

Trippier
    Rice
    Phillips
    Mount
    Shaw

Kane
    Sterling

That's not what I would play, it's what I think he will. 

Foden for Mount.  The last leaked team was right.  Sky also reporting this team but others are reporting Saka in for Foden.  I fully expect the other 10 to be right. 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    3 at the back, Trippier back in for his set pieces.  What he perms from the attacking players is anyone's guess but I would think Sterling and Kane will play.  If I had to guess

Pickford

Walker
    Stones
    Maguire

Trippier
    Rice
    Phillips
    Mount
    Shaw

Kane
    Sterling

That's not what I would play, it's what I think he will. 

Foden for Mount.  The last leaked team was right. 
    I don't hate it. 
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    3-5-2 is the only real antidote to the 4-3-3 so I do understand matching up.

It's a difficult formation to press. If our front three press their back three, their wing-backs are available to pick up the pass. And who presses the wing-backs? You have to push your full-backs right up the pitch, which is a risk in itself. Suddenly your back four is a back two and there's masses of space down the channels.

Otherwise you're just sitting back and letting them have the ball and dictate play.
  • Options
    If we are playing five at the back, we surely can't play two holding midfielders as well. I've got an idea, why not play 10 at the back?
    I've seen this, not sure we will play 3/5 at the back if im honest. If we do i would expect Henderson for Phillips, or even Mount and Henderson. Cant see it myself, doesn't look terrible but how can we leave out all of Grealish/Foden/Mount idiocy. 
  • Options
    We will play 3 at the back with the wing backs spending more time in advanced positions. If under the cosh then you have the option of them dropping back into a 5 but will be interesting to see the transition because England need to play quicker passes even the odd long accurate ball against Hummel's who isn't the quickest in turning.
    TBF to him he did recover against the rapid Mbappé who had a very disappointing Tournament compared to his showing in the WC.
    Our players should be fresh and raring to go, the Germans are battle hardened but have spent more energy after playing in the group of F, whereas England have played in 2nd gear and were mainly concerned with stopping the opposition.
    We achieved that in all 3 matches but now we need a different mind set to win this game and not to invite pressure. 

Game on and not for the faint hearted.
  • Options
    Hope i am wrong but expect 2 defensive FBs, Rice and Phillips and Henderson
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    AndyG said:
    I'm not normally a massive fan of Henderson but when he came on last game he was trying to pass forward and get things moving so wouldnt be upset if he started. If Saka is starting as reported then that is atleast showing some intent to push forward. The players will be aware that this game will have massive ramifications for the rest of their careers, win tonight and England will never get a better opportunity to win a major competition. As the saying goes "play the game and not the occasion" although easier said than done. I just cant believe that this group of players will let this chance slip they will know what it means to them and I'm confident that they will get the job done.
    I think Henderson is a holding midfielder who can affect your side offensively. Rice, far less so which is fine if he is your sole holding midfielder, but not part of a pair. Phillips and Henderson would give the team more at both ends IMO.
  • Options
    AndyG said:
    I think Henderson is a holding midfielder who can affect your side offensively. Rice, far less so which is fine if he is your sole holding midfielder, but not part of a pair. Phillips and Henderson would give the team more at both ends IMO.
    The more I think about it, the more I believe Henderson has to come in for Rice. He did 45 minutes fine last week so he should be able to do 60+ tonight.

He's much better in that role and gives us something extra picking passes going forward. He was rested during the group so that he could play tonight. 
  • Options
    Surely Henderson offers more than Rice and has more experience for this sort of super-tense tie. 
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    I'd play: 
    Pickford
    Trippier, Stones, Maguire, Chilwell 
    Henderson, Rice
    Saka Mount Sterling
    Kane (edited, only had 9 players lol) 

I know i have literally just said we cant play without Mount, Grealish, Foden but would be nice to see pace on the wings to counter them. I'd be happy with Foden instead of Saka but feel Saka offers more coming back and also of the back of the last performance. 

Saying all the above Gareth might be having a little headache, not a bad thing we have so much talent just finding the right set up and balance for this game. 
  • Options
    Rice in that formation is almost like playing with 10 men.
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    There is a big difference between Charlton defending the six yard box and inviting pressure for the last 5 minutes and a team of high level professionals managing a game.

How many shots did the Czechs and Croatians have after we scored?  How many did they have in their last 16 games?

Backs against the wall and inviting pressure are very different to game management.  If Italy managed games like England have people would be saying why can't we do it.  England have been the best at it so far in the tournament and I am sure we would all take a well managed 1-0 tonight and in the next 3 rounds. 
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    Cafc43v3r said:
    There is a big difference between Charlton defending the six yard box and inviting pressure for the last 5 minutes and a team of high level professionals managing a game.

How many shots did the Czechs and Croatians have after we scored?  How many did they have in their last 16 games?

Backs against the wall and inviting pressure are very different to game management.  If Italy managed games like England have have people would be saying why can't we do it.  England have been the best at it so far in the tournament and I am sure we would all take a well managed 1-0 tonight and in the next 3 rounds. 
    And dont even go down the garden path as to how England fans would react if we let slip a 3-1 lead...

Regardless of how "entertaining" the game would be
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    Laddick01 said:

So would that be:

Pickford
    Walker Stones Maguire
    Saka Rice Phillips Shaw
    Sterling Kane Saka

Seems like we’d match the Germans up 343.
    Its reporting 5 at the back later in the article so I imagine

Pickford
    Trippier/James Walker Stones Maguire Shaw
    Rice Phillips
    Saka Kane Sterling 
    I think it's probably our best 11 at the moment.

I'm not that keen on Rice (I actually think Henderson played well for 45 mins last week) and would love to fit Grealish in there but I don't know how. Saka deserves the start after the Czech game and Sterlings goals render him undroppable imo.

Grealish for Rice and Foden for Saka are the obvious subs if we're chasing the game

It's not really 5 at the back anymore though is it. Trippier and Shaw will (hopefully) spend most of the game in Germanys half.
    I dont mind this lineup but I'm not sure you can have a side without Mount, Foden or Grealish. Besides the pace of sterling and Saka there is no creativity, you cant rely on pace or crosses from the wing backs to create every chance. You need someone of creating something on the ball, intricate passing and a bit of vision. 

I'd be tempted to to put Saka at LWB and have him further up the pitch in a kind of lop sided 352. It allows you to get one of Foden/Mount in the side in a deeper more central role, they will have to work hard in the midfield but will give us some of the creativity we need centrally without losing pace out wide or width of the wing backs.

Pickford
    Walker Stones Maguire
    Trippier Henderson Foden Phillips Saka
    Sterling Kane
  • Options
    Hugely nervous