Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

England v Germany - Match Thread

Comments

• Options
    Can’t sleep after that 
  • Options
    Feel sick already for this game 
  • Options
    I have just sat down for the first time since the Croatia game went 3-2.  I can't go through it tomorrow.  I really can't. 
  • Options
    I think je will go 4231 using isolation as an excuse to not pick Mount.

Pickford
    Walker Stones Maguire Shaw
    Rice Henderson
    Saka Grealish Sterling
    Kane.

I'd be very tempted to get Trippier in there for his set pieces alone. We have barely put one decent corner in all tournament. 

• Options
    Macronate said:
    Unsubstantiated rumour of a 3-4-3:

Pickford

Walker
    Stones
    Maguire

James
    Mount
    Rice
    Chilwell

Foden
    Kane
    Grealish
    Don't mind that setup but I don't thibk you can have that front 3. You need one player with pace who is going to play on the shoulder and stretch defences. Even more so with Kane dropping so deep all the time. One of Sterling/Saka/Sancho/Rushford to do that.
  • Options
    Right, bed now everyone.  Big day tomorrow.

Night.
    Morning all!! 
  • Options
    50% England win in 90 mins 
    30% draw (England 50 % win in ET 30% draw 20% Germany) if it gets to pens England 65% Germany 35%
    20% Germany win in 90 mins 

It’s coming home 

• Options

Pickford
    Rice Henderson
    Saka Grealish Sterling
    Kane.

I'd be very tempted to get Trippier in there for his set pieces alone. We have barely put one decent corner in all tournament. 

I agree, Trippier is a real asset with his set pieces. Only decent corner I can remember is when Stones hit the post against Scotland. I think Trippier is a better all round RB than Walker anyway, not that any one of the three are weak. 
  • Options
    Absolutely bricking myself 

https://youtu.be/RuJ1gfkqTyw
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    Huge opportunity this - will be a shame to not see saka and Grealish start but have to support whoever turns out finishing work at 12.30 on to the pub for a couple of hours before getting to Wembley for 4pm 

Unfortunately we have a team who I do not think handle expectation and pressure we’ll - the Scotland game for example everyone expected us to batter them and I think most will expect England to win tonight 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Pickford
    Rice Henderson
    Saka Grealish Sterling
    Kane.

That looks ok to me. I'd probably have Phillips for Rice based on his play against Croatia. 
  • Options
    Ilkay Gundogan, Antonio Rudiger and Robin Gosens are apparently doubtful?

Or is this a bit of kidology from the German camp?
  • Options
    England have a better team than Germany and are at home. Doesn’t guarantee success, but they are huge indicators of likelihood. I get why England fans aren’t all 100% confident given previous experiences but I am pretty certain England are going to win tonight.
  • Options
    Think Trippier comes back in for this. Wouldn't be surprised if it is at LB
  • Options
    Having watched the shambolic defending in a lot of games I'll be happy with a 1-0.
  • Options
    Atmosphere has been really good for the first three matches even with a reduced number. Hoping that 45k home fans will give the backing England need to go a win this. France result made it impossible to have a good night sleep.

1-0 England 
  • Options
    Ilkay Gundogan, Antonio Rudiger and Robin Gosens are apparently doubtful?

Or is this a bit of kidology from the German camp?
    No Gosens would be huge for us.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited June 2021
    Brief tactical preview of the Germans…

https://youtu.be/l2-wycQz9SU
  • Options
    Trippier has had a great season at Atletico Madrid, at RB and has improved defensively since going to Spain. 
    Don't play him at LB because he can't overlap and it cuts back on our attacking options.
    No problem with him getting the gig at RB.

• Options
    Agree, don’t like Trippier at left back, slows the play  to much with no natural left foot.  Prefer Chilwell but no chance Southgate will play him!  Also would consider Foden  as a false nine, Kane’s just not the same player  atm & is dropping far to deep. Could then play Grealish on that left wing! 
  • Options
    I Have a school meeting tonight 6-7. You couldn’t make it up 
  • Options
    I Have a school meeting tonight 6-7. You couldn’t make it up 
    Phone in sick 
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    On one occasion last night when the Swiss lad did a great run on the right wing he beat the left sided defender and had 4 colleges around the 6 yard box. Attack in numbers and defend in numbers. It's not a case of just being an attacking or defending team, you need to do both to beat teams in the Knock out rounds of this Euro's. 

If we go with 3 at the back then it would have to be Walker, Maguire and Stones with Trippier/James and Shaw/Chilwell vying for the mega important wing back positions.
    Gosens needs to be negated and the Walker and Trippier or James combo can help to achieve this aim. 

With Kane and Sterling the two main forwards that just leaves 3 positions to fill between Rice, Phillips, Mount, Foden, Grealish, Henderson and Saka. 

Saka is the most versatile player we have which was proven when he was included in defence, midfield and even with the forward when newspapers and social media folk were picking their 26 man squad.

I think Southgate will leave out Grealish, Phillips and Saka to start with but would expect Saka to get 30 minutes to run at a tiring German side.

Starting line:
         Pickford
    Walker Maguire Stones
    Trippier Rice Mount Foden Shaw
    Kane Sterling

A very flexible 3-5-2

With Mount, Sterling, Kane and Foden  interchanging so much, the flexibility will keep the German defence guessing who to pick up.

Still think 2-1 England with Kane on the score sheet.

The baggage needs to be Jettisoned  by this group of England players as they shouldn't be burdened by so many years of abject failure at the Euro's.