Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

England v Germany - Match Thread

Comments

• Options
    Ok let’s get this one in early doors, who is taking our penalties?
    Batty
    Ince
    Southate
    Waddle
    Henderson

Hoddle was an innovative manager but letting David Batty take a penalty when even his own Dad said he couldn't hit a cow's arse with a banjo was crazy. 

• Options
    Macronate said:
    Unsubstantiated rumour of a 3-4-3:

Pickford

Walker
    Stones
    Maguire

James
    Mount
    Rice
    Chilwell

Foden
    Kane
    Grealish
    Don't think Sterling would get dropped unless he was injured. 

A Rice/Mount CM pairing would get utterly destroyed and would never be something Southgate would pick. 
  • Options
                                  Pickford
                  Walker. McGuire. Stones.
    Trippier.                                           Shaw.
                                 Rice.
        Saka.                                     Sterling.
                                 Foden.

Kane.
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    Not sure he'd go 5 at the back tbh. 

It either leaves you short in midfield, or isolated up front. 

5-3-2 or 5-2-3 are basically the choices you'd make. 

I think the only surprise Southgate has is if Henderson starts the game or not. 
  • Options
    I think we'll see the England team that faced Croatia just with Shaw and Maguire in the team instead of Trippier and Mings
  • Options
    colthe3rd said:
    Taxi_Lad said:
    Need payback for Lampards disallowed goal in 2010
    Of all the times we are due payback that is not one of them. They thoroughly outplayed us in that game.
    I’ve still got visions of Gareth Barry running like and elephant in quicksand.
  • Options
    Not sure he'd go 5 at the back tbh. 

It either leaves you short in midfield, or isolated up front. 

5-3-2 or 5-2-3 are basically the choices you'd make. 

I think the only surprise Southgate has is if Henderson starts the game or not. 
    It's the German wing backs against Portugal that are inspiring/influencing the 3 at the back.  Almost every journo and pundit has hinted at us playing it.  I see the attraction.

If it was me I would play Rice between Maguire and Stones and push the full backs on.  Then you can change to 442 and back almost at will without using subs.  Bowyer did this very well with Beilik and Pratley in 2019.
  • Options
    I've got a feeling Saka will start on the right again. Germany look dangerous down their left and Saka's previous LB position for Arsenal could swing it in his favour. He also didn't do himself any harm the last game, I thought he was very good.
    Still think Sancho could be a good shout to start also. His stats in 2021 are probably only bettered by Mount? But Southgate doesn't seem confident in starting Sancho much for some reason.
    Watching France currently losing and all I can think about is my England team ffs I'm not 15

• Options
    I just hope it's a good game and that football is the winner.

But seriously, it's on BBC so we have a chance.  We look strong defensively but I'd play the much maligned Trippier. 

Old Contemptibles 1 - 0 Prussian Hordes as @SE7toSG3 calls it.
  • Options
    Will be a tense nervous affair which will be agony to watch.

One key error or slice of luck will decide the match.

Not sure silky skills  or Premiership reputations will count for much in this one.

Can't wait. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Think we will go with wingbacks and Saka will be one of them. 
  • Options
    Ok let’s get this one in early doors, who is taking our penalties?
    Batty
    Ince
    Southate
    Waddle
    Henderson

Hoddle was an innovative manager but letting David Batty take a penalty when even his own Dad said he couldn't hit a cow's arse with a banjo was crazy. 

Maybe his dad is more to blame than Hoddle then!
  • Options
    I've got a feeling Saka will start on the right again. Germany look dangerous down their left and Saka's previous LB position for Arsenal could swing it in his favour. He also didn't do himself any harm the last game, I thought he was very good.
    Still think Sancho could be a good shout to start also. His stats in 2021 are probably only bettered by Mount? But Southgate doesn't seem confident in starting Sancho much for some reason.
    Watching France currently losing and all I can think about is my England team ffs I'm not 15

Yeah I also think Saka will start for these reasons. A lot seem convinced we'll switch to a back 3, I don't really see it. Could be mistaken but I think the past time he played that formation was the Belgium nations league loss, been a long time since we've used that in anger. I also think it would be a negative move, it would isolate Kane even more by not having that central attacker behind him and causing him to drop even deeper than he has.

I think given Germany's approach of of utilizing wing backs the flat 4 we've seen so far with the full backs not pushing on much is the way to go. You can then exploit the space with the 4 attacking players.
  • Options
    I think Saka has pace and is consistent so I do get his inclusion if it happens.
  • Options
    I'd love to see us with the shackles off going forward but it's not going to happen (I can understand why). I'd be surprised if we play more than 3 attacking players. I think it will either be essentially a 523 or a 433 with all three CM's being fairly defensive - Rice, Phillips and Henderson. Expect Saka and Sterling to start either side of Kane. 
  • Options
    Will be my first time seeing us live in a tournament and am in absolute pieces already. 
  • Options
    Personally I'm hoping for a win in 90 minutes, love a cracking 3-2 but it's bound to be tense nervy and a bit niggling. 
  • Options
    Was hoping the Spain / Croatia game would go to pens cause the law of averages says that one will…..
    Still a chance it could be Sweden v Ukraine.
    Or France😉
    But yeh no doubt it will be our game.
  • Options
    Was hoping the Spain / Croatia game would go to pens cause the law of averages says that one will…..
    Or France😉
    Never know we could win a penalty shootout against Germany (stop laughing!!)

Could well be the only way to break our jinx of being unable to win in Tournament Football
  • Options
    Since 1996 the aggregate score is Germany 13 England 13
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited June 2021
    I'm starting to expect we may go 3-4-1-2 and match up...

----------------Pickford

---------Walker - Stones - Maguire

James/Trippier - Rice - Henderson - Saka/Shaw

----------------Foden

-------------Kane - Sterling
  • Options
    Daddy_Pig said:
    Since 1995 the aggregate score is Germany 14 England 14

• Options
    Or France😉
    Never know we could win a penalty shootout against Germany (stop laughing!!)

Could well be the only way to break our jinx of being unable to win in Tournament Football
    I'm still laughing mate.
    Seriously if it goes to pens I will switch off and go for a walk and listen to the cheers...hopefully 
  • Options
    These knockout games so far are setting us up perfectly for England v Germany finishing 0-0 (8-9 Pens) tomorrow. 
  • Options
    These knockout games so far are setting us up perfectly for England v Germany finishing 0-0 (8-9 Pens) tomorrow. 
    Would you seriously back England to score 8 pens?
  • Options
    Please please no more penalties talk. At least wait until the 46th minute 
  • Options
    Why is Chloe the villa villain, she looks a delightful girl
  • Options
    Right, bed now everyone.  Big day tomorrow.

Night.