Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

George Dobson - Gone to Wrexham p136, farewell message p142

Comments

• I’m wondering whether Dobbo wants to return to his previous employers considering the difficult contract discussions that took place? I’m sure the players would understand his decision either way. Anyway, fingers crossed that he returns to the Valley and sets a good example of the required effort on the pitch.
  • Croydon said:
    RedRobin said:
    Genuinely don’t believe Dobbo is coming back, reckon he will have other offers.
    Certainly be interesting to see where he ends up, if not back with us.
    Depending on what he said to get out of the contract could limit his options.

if he’s said he needs to be in London with his family then signs for a team in Scotland/France/spain, you could have a Simon Jordan v Sloth Dowie scenario where there is a claim that he’s lied to get out his contract 

• edited July 3
    Yes, let's unite Dobson & Coventry again. That powerful midfield that won us lots of games once Nathan Jones came in. 🙄
    I genuinely think with a proper 10 Dobson & Coventry would be ok. The problem was/is Anderson isn't that 10 and we just had no one to really carry the ball forward
  • RC_CAFC said:
    Offical, he is out

The whole thing was bloody weird from the start.
    Not that it bothers me, I accept that if you dish it out, you gotta be able to take it, but the grief I got when I started to point out why it was so weird, right at the begining of this thread.....

Although for me the weirdest thing was that about a month ago even I had accepted it was real, and happening. I was almost looking forward to seeing how he'd get on in the Europa Conference and learn something as a result. 
  • Dizzle said:
    If they don’t announce Dobson with an Ai Generated version of the “I’m not leaving” skit from Wolf of Wall Street I will be disappointed 
    Don’t, city did it with walker and it was fucking cringy 
  • Dizzle said:
    If they don’t announce Dobson with an Ai Generated version of the “I’m not leaving” skit from Wolf of Wall Street I will be disappointed 
    Don’t, city did it with walker and it was fucking cringy 
    The vast majority of them are cringy to be fair. 
  • Sponsored links:

• On the Dobson and Coventry combo not working maybe it wasn't George that was the problem.

And yes, Jones played Coventry a lot but he also picked Hector and Thomas nearly every week.
    It also looked much better towards the end of the season. Some players just need time to bed in together.
  • In the interview Rodwell gave on Charlton TV the other night,  Rodwell spoke very highly of Dobson  - superb professional, always be welcomed back etc. 

And he gave a bit of a tease of an answer to who would be captain this coming season.

In the light of that, there must be  a chance of resigning him provided we make a sensible contract offer.
  • IanJRO said:
    Swisdom said:
    Not to put a downer on things but I believe Leyton Orient were keen on Dobbo and their training ground is a stones throw from his gaff 
    and they are definitely heading in the right direction with seriously ambitious plans for the next decade

i wouldnt ignore them
    Imagine losing out on a player because they couldn't be arsed with the Blackwall tunnel! 
    They could get a lift with Curbs, p'raps?

• At this point i'd say we are more likely to have him back than not
  • If it's announced tomorrow, the General Election will be taking second place on BBC News
    They will switch The General Election to BBC2 so they can concentrate properly on the main event.
  • edited July 3
    Oggy Red said:
    IanJRO said:
    Swisdom said:
    Not to put a downer on things but I believe Leyton Orient were keen on Dobbo and their training ground is a stones throw from his gaff 
    and they are definitely heading in the right direction with seriously ambitious plans for the next decade

i wouldnt ignore them
    Imagine losing out on a player because they couldn't be arsed with the Blackwall tunnel! 
    They could get a lift with Curbs, p'raps?

Curbs just walks across the water, piggy back perhaps.
  • Will be a big show of intent. We know Jones wants him from what he said last season. Wasn't it along the lines of he wouldn't be going if I was here earlier?
    Show of intent?

It’s no more than the status quo / as we were. 

What counts more is the total ins and outs come the start of the season. 

Already appears we are starting pre season without the majority of the squad in place / new signings in. 
    You're going to have to explain that one to me? 
    Lets say George comes back, we sign Godden and a n other striker. 

We're then a couple of signings away from a decent squad. 4 away from having a go
    Ok then. 

In my view Godden for May is net nil / maybe marginal decrease given his success last season. 

Dobson staying is how we finished last year - struggling. 

By your numbers we need 4 more. 

So to me, until all signings complete it isn’t a show of intent as Dobson alone won’t change our fortunes. 

He is good but with no better alongside him nothing will change.  

• RC_CAFC said:
    Offical, he is out

Not that it bothers me, I accept that if you dish it out, you gotta be able to take it, but the grief I got when I started to point out why it was so weird, right at the begining of this thread.....

Although for me the weirdest thing was that about a month ago even I had accepted it was real, and happening. I was almost looking forward to seeing how he'd get on in the Europa Conference and learn something as a result. 

What you actually claimed was that there was no way that an Hungarian club would be in for him, which wasn't the case.
    Yes, that was a big part of my initial take. No problem to hold my hands up to that. I thought that given the two clubs allegedly involved, the country involved,  the player involved, his career and life stage , the whole thing was too ridiculous to be true. 

I could claim that in the end the proposed transfer was real enough but eventually collapsed under the weight of its own ridiculousness, but that would only trigger one of your diatribes so I won’t claim that😉
  • Sponsored links:

• RC_CAFC said:
    Offical, he is out

What you actually claimed was that there was no way that an Hungarian club would be in for him, which wasn't the case.
    Yes, that was a big part of my initial take. No problem to hold my hands up to that. I thought that given the two clubs allegedly involved, the country involved,  the player involved, his career and life stage , the whole thing was too ridiculous to be true. 

I could claim that in the end the proposed transfer was real enough but eventually collapsed under the weight of its own ridiculousness, but that would only trigger one of your diatribes so I won’t claim that😉
    As you pointed out yourself the collapse of the deal might just as much be about the problems Videoton are having financially with their backers as they are losing a lot of their better players.

• Yay.
    Cod psychology from the expert.
  • edited July 3
    Leuth said:
    On the Dobson and Coventry combo not working maybe it wasn't George that was the problem.

And yes, Jones played Coventry a lot but he also picked Hector and Thomas nearly every week.
    For someone who styles himself as an indispensable club employee, you're really the most abominable person to any player you deem unworthy of Charlton's rich history. Conor Coventry is quite obviously a very good player who tries hard and maybe needs a bit of time to bed into a system, and you're insinuating in classic Weasel Irving style that he's 'the problem'. You do this so often with so many players, it's an absolute wonder anyone ever puts up with you. I usually try to ignore the mountain of absolute words that you type but I really can't here. Have Fun, as usual
    Did he say Coventry wasn't good?
  • Wonder if the change in personal circumstances involve that twat of a bald Manager!!
  • RC_CAFC said:
    Offical, he is out

As you pointed out yourself the collapse of the deal might just as much be about the problems Videoton are having financially with their backers as they are losing a lot of their better players.

I don’t think I did point that out, all credit to our mate from Fehervar for that,  although initially I  did question  where Videoton generated enough revenue to be splashing transfer fee cash around. Equally important IMO is the word about Dobbo’s wife finally rumbling what it might mean for her. I spent a lot of time trying to tell people about the difficult experiences of foreign managers  I have known out here whose marriages suffered because they had pre-school age kids. But everyone dismissed that, as if footballers are somehow immune to the emotional challenges facing normal family units. 
  • fenaddick said:
    On the Dobson and Coventry combo not working maybe it wasn't George that was the problem.

It also looked much better towards the end of the season. Some players just need time to bed in together.
    True and it might work better this coming season, especially if the options in front and behind them are better but I still think Coventry has to show at lot more than he did to justify a place in the starting XI.

But that Coventry and Dobson didn't bring much midfield dominance was not all, or even mostly, down to George.

IMHO if that is allowed.