Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

George Dobson - Gone to Wrexham p136, farewell message p142

Comments

• Just remember what our performances have been like without Dobson. 
  • He won’t sign a new contract and they will off load him, along with CBT and that money will be used to “strengthen the squad”.
  • I genuinely would only keep Alfie, Jones and Edun from this squad currently. 
    Kanu is not ready, not his fault, 
  • Leuth said:
    I won't be devastated when he leaves. He's not that good 
    Just the best that we have got, and likely to be able to afford.
  • Is he a good captain?
  • sam3110 said:
    Is he a good captain?
    He leads by example, however sometimes you need to fire a few fucks into people and don’t think he’s the man for that.
  • Opposition teams do seem to get a lot of space in and around our box. That's on the midfield. 

Not saying Dobson specifically but the there's something not working there. 
  • Not captain material for me, need someone to fire out a few rockets when needed and encourage when required. I'd have him in my side though.
  • Sponsored links:

• Like, he's still one of our best players, because the players aren't especially great, but he's not that far ahead of the rest of them. I'd say May is much more the captain than he is. If he's sold this window, make May the skipper and we'll have a much more natural leader
  • edited December 2023
    What standard is he performing to currently though? I don't it's that strange for people to discuss on a football forum when the club captain is having more poor performances than good ones. 
  • edited December 2023
    Shouldn't be captain but is a good player. One of a select few that this crap team has relied upon over recent seasons to not end up even lower than we have. On occasions has been the only player able to come off at the end of the game with his head held high. Performances haven't been as consistent recently but that's likely to happen when you've been responsible for carrying a poor team for so long. 
  • CBT for me right now is an empty shirt, he's already left the club in his head, we just have nothing better to replace him currently 
  • hermann said:
    Jones skipper when Dobbo leaves I reckon 
    This, the only other captain material in the squad
  • Also happy to take peters but Dobbo has been poor by his own standards over the last 2 months or so, dare I say he's got a move lined up and is done with being a Charlton player, I've certainly done the same in a professional capacity when I know I'm moving on 
  • Sponsored links:

• Hertha Berlin?

Yeah. I’m sure Dobson, who most agree could play in the English Championship can’t wait to sign for a mid table German side in the second division and live in a shithole while at it. At least make it believable.
  • edited December 2023
    I love Dobson and he’s great for where we’re at… a mid table League One team with a mid table squad. 

You can never question his effort, desire or commitment. He can also play some decent football and I wouldn’t at all be surprised to see him make a decent career in the Championship. 

However, do I believe Dobson is someone you build a team around to get out of League One? No.

Yet, do I trust this ownership to properly invest in a squad that doesn’t need a player like Dobson in the team? Again, no.

I can’t help but feel we’re in a bit of a catch 22 situation here.

We need someone like Dobson to start every game because we're so below par in other areas of the pitch. Ideally Dobson isn’t the sort of player we need to start because we can dominate elsewhere.

I’m all for cashing in on Dobson if we properly invest so that we don’t need someone like him (Semedo esque) in the team. I just don’t trust this ownership to recruit properly so for now we need to do what we can to keep him,
  • edited December 2023
    Once again, that shower was not on Dobson. Out of everyone he probably played with the most urgency, particularly in midfield. He tried to move the ball quickly, pass forwards in search of runners, and even had a couple of shots.

He’s being asked to be the destroyer and the playmaker because others aren’t up to their job. He’s not good enough to do everything in midfield, but no player should be expected to be, yet he’s having to try and do everything anyway. 

We will really notice his absence once he’s gone and there is zero evidence yet to suggest our recruitment, scouting, or budget will identify a worthy replacement. 
    There are multiple clubs promoted out of this league since George Dobson had been here, and I'm not sure Dobbo gets into any of those teams.

Worrying about whether the recruitment team is up to find a suitable replacement is an issue separate to whether Dobson is good enough for what we want going forward.

I love him and what he gives for the shirt but I'm tired of the underperformance of Charlton of the last two years and unfortunately, whether he deserves it or not, Dobson is forever linked with it.
    I’m not sure I follow your point. Kinsella was a regular in a team that finished 16th in Division 1 a year before captaining a side that was promoted to the Premier League. Jackson was a regular in a team that finished 11th in League One a season before captaining a side that was promoted to Championship as champions.

Crap teams can have good players in them. 

I only watch Charlton matches in League One so you may be right that he wouldn’t have got into other teams that were promoted in recent seasons, I don’t have the knowledge to argue that point. But I do know when we play the top sides he’s one that regularly competes and looks good enough to challenge those opponents. He’s regularly towards the top of the division’s stats for tackles made, distance covered etc., he’s almost ever present, and he’s a much more rounded and better player than being just a spoiler because he has improved on his time here and I think is still improving. I know a decent player when I see one and I am very confident that, when we finally/if we ever build a squad that gets promoted from this division, Dodson would not be a significant weakness in it. Sadly, chances are he’ll be long gone by the time we have that team again. 
  • I get the limitations he may have - ultimately he's a defender converted to a midfielder - however, if you had 11 players on the pitch with his energy, desire and passion, we'd be in the top 2. In no way is him leaving, a good thing. Sell CBT, make dobbo an offer he can't refuse and play a 3 5 2 formation to get the best out of both dobbo and may - bring in a mobile physical striker to play alongside may, 2 proven midfield generals to play in front of dobbo and a dominant centre back to replace lapzidazical hector - if apples wants to persist with his stupid formation, bin him off - in fact bin him off anyway, blokes a dullard. That is football management and what needs doing Scott so for christ sake, make it happen.  
  • DA9 said:
    CBT for me right now is an empty shirt, he's already left the club in his head, we just have nothing better to replace him currently 
    He wasn’t great yesterday, but was one of our best players in a decent performance against Barnsley last week. “Empty shirt” is a bit much. 
  • se9addick said:
    DA9 said:
    CBT for me right now is an empty shirt, he's already left the club in his head, we just have nothing better to replace him currently 
    He wasn’t great yesterday, but was one of our best players in a decent performance against Barnsley last week. “Empty shirt” is a bit much. 
    Whilst he made a few final ball errors, I thought his presence caused a nuisance and they had a couple of players dedicated to covering him. What we failed to do was take advantage of the extra space this created.  Sometimes the opposition will do a job on our best players, we need to have other players that can benefit from this, sadly we don't 
  • Hi se9addick said:
    DA9 said:
    Part of my point, not consistent enough lately, his heads gone elsewhere 
  • Probably moved onto the 'god Charlton fans are fickle, they're booing me now' followed by 'I wonder if you can get a good First World War style haircut oop t'north'
  • Could Dobbos recent performances be down to him being 1 booking away from suspension? Also he looked knackered on Saturday and maybe injured, also moaning about the referees costing us 4 points lately so has CBT who could have squared for tap ins in the last 2 games and chose to shoot and miss!!
  • edited December 2023
    supaclive said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Loved George's work rate and attitude, but we seem to be building the side around him and he's simply not good enough for that.
    Nonsense
    He's our Makalele
    If we built players around Jones, Dobbo, May and complemented them we'd not go wrong.
    You've had a mare there Dazzler
    Oops. Seems like he was over performing his first couple of seasons.