Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

George Dobson - Gone to Wrexham p136, farewell message p142

Comments

• edited December 2023
    Croydon said:
    Happily take the pelters for this but he is best player by default only. Limited footballer and gets away with it because he tries hard in a side of shirkers. 
    As.much as I tend to agree with the limited bit, for me he's a 100% man in a team that aren't. Hence why he looks like he cares and probably why he's earned the captains armband. A leader of men he isn't, a leader in professionalism he most definately is. Is say he's one of the most important players in our squad, but if he remains so over the next few years, if he stays, then we are going absolutely nowhere. The collective need to be at his level for us to be top 6. Whether the owners can financially swallow making his level the average on quality and wages will be very telling.

Still my number 1 above Alfie. 
  • Heard today that George will be signing a new 3 year contract and has turned down offers from the USA because he wants to stay with us. 
    source?
  • Heard today that George will be signing a new 3 year contract and has turned down offers from the USA because he wants to stay with us. 
    Or he does not want to go to America? Though presumably they would offer decent money. I assume there are no championship or promotion contending league one clubs in for him then?
    Or he does not want to go to America? Though presumably they would offer decent money. I assume there are no championship or promotion contending league one clubs in for him then?
    If he stays it will be because no one in the champ is interested. 
  • edited December 2023
    Heard today that George will be signing a new 3 year contract and has turned down offers from the USA because he wants to stay with us. 
    source?
    My father talks to George's every home match and mentioned it at the last game. George's father was the original source. So sounds fairly positive. 
    good news - george dobson is far from being the problem  
    Not sure how he can turndown deals from the USA.. He is still in contract! And also not sure why someone of his age, who has ambition would speak to USA teams. Dobbo doesn't come across as if he would do things just for money.. 
  • DubaiCAFC said:
    Heard today that George will be signing a new 3 year contract and has turned down offers from the USA because he wants to stay with us. 
    Not sure how he can turndown deals from the USA.. He is still in contract! And also not sure why someone of his age, who has ambition would speak to USA teams. Dobbo doesn't come across as if he would do things just for money.. 
    Foreign teams can offer him contracts as of next week, and we all know that conversations happen way before the player is actually out of contract 
  • Sponsored links:

• MLS transfer window is currently open anyway so it wouldn't make too much difference to them. 
  • Thought we should probably discuss Dobson here. Personally, I think if he goes this window it will be deadline day but seems unlikely. I suspect he'll be here until the end of the season and then he'll want to see what he can get in the summer
  • edited January 23
    https://twitter.com/RichCawleySLP/status/1749545248097796447

So the Hungarian club is revealed. Those who do follow Euro footie at a lower level than the CL would recognise them by their former name, Videoton. Take a look at the Wiki.

Viktor Orban's "favourite" team according to that, although he of course has invested taxpayers money to build up the regional level team in his home village to take them from  4th tier to just behind this lot in the table, so who knows where his loyalties lie. It's located in a town called Székesfehérvár, the 9th biggest in Hungary. It is not that far from Budapest so he could conceivably commute from there, but quite who he and his wife would mix with socially there, I really wonder. 

Its stadium is half the size of the Valley and largely open, like many in this region. As Chicago Addick on Twitter says, average gates are 3k, and he will play in front of less than 1k in most away games. Yes, they might get into Europe, but they'll be out again by end August based on recent experience of any Hungarian club bar Ferencvaros. 

Orban or not, I can't see why they would or could offer any more wedge than a low level Champ club would. Apart from the tiny gate money (it's very cheap to get into Hungarian league matches, like a fiver) the Hungarian TV rights are pitiful. And I read in the Wiki that MOL have pulled out of sponsorship of them which I found very interesting. MOL is a big oil company in the region and also sponsors the Slovak club , Dunajska streda, whose owners were interested in buying the club off Duchatelet - getting as far as agreeing (or so they thought) - a £30m deal. 

I can't begin to imagine what old bollocks his agent has told Dobbo about this "opportunity" but I'm pretty sure it will be really good for just one person in the deal, and it isn't Dobbo. 

• DubaiCAFC said:
    Apparently we have offered improved terms. He won’t be going this window 
    So going on a free in the summer possibly. Mind you, might be worth the risk if he can contribute to us staying up. 
  • Looking at him tonight, he don't look like he's on the verge of a move
  • Would prefer him to stay, but not overly bothered. How many brain dead Hollywood balls is he gonna play which no one gets on the end of? 
  • Sponsored links:

• All these new midfielders and yet he’s still our best one.

He’s so important to the team and squad.
    I personally think Coventry was our best midfielder, then Dobson. Though both worked well in tandem when we took control in the second half.

It was no shock when Coventry went off that we lost a bit of that impetuous.

I do agree slightly that he needs to park the balls over the top. I appreciate he is trying to at least do something positive, but I can’t remember the last time it ever lead to anything. 

I personally think Coventry was our best midfielder, then Dobson. Though both worked well in tandem when we took control in the second half.

I do agree slightly that he needs to park the balls over the top. I appreciate he is trying to at least do something positive, but I can’t remember the last time it ever lead to anything. 

He got an assist 2 games ago!

No he didn’t. He’s not got any assists all year.
  • Playing 3 workhorses in midfield doesn't work unless you have brilliant wingbacks to provide the attacking threat. Someone has to make the hard decision who out of Dobson, Coventry and Bakinson will be left out on Saturday.
  • edited January 23
    source?
    My father talks to George's every home match and mentioned it at the last game. George's father was the original source. So sounds fairly positive. 

Are you sticking to this story about the USA and George still signing as he appears he may even go East to Hungary!

No he didn’t. He’s not got any assists all year.
    Ok, well either Port Value or Peterborough his ball over the top was a peach to our winger who got the assist.  Wouldn't have happened with Dobbies ball  over the top