Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

George Dobson - Gone to Wrexham p136, farewell message p142

Comments

• mendonca said:
    I'd be curious to know what is seen as an insulting package..
    I believe he is currently on approx £4k pw, where our highest earners are approx £7k tops. They've offered him a years extension, probably somewhere in between. 

That's all I've heard. I know this is CL so the next 4 pages will be full of debates about what is a high/low/reasonable salary, but hopefully we can avoid that.

I was surprised to hear that L1 professional footballers earn less than directors in the City who spend most of their in the pub!
    OK a years extension is a joke if true and very concerning.

I would say he's worth somewhere between 8-9k a week with at least a 3-4 year contract. A one year contract would be insulting our captain certainly.

Not saying you are lying mate, but I find that very hard to believe 
  • mendonca said:
    I believe he is currently on approx £4k pw, where our highest earners are approx £7k tops. They've offered him a years extension, probably somewhere in between. 

That's all I've heard. I know this is CL so the next 4 pages will be full of debates about what is a high/low/reasonable salary, but hopefully we can avoid that.

I was surprised to hear that L1 professional footballers earn less than directors in the City who spend most of their in the pub!
    Would think his issue there would be more to do with length rather than wage. From a club perspective, they clearly don't think he can make the leap to the Championship. Seems a big risk if true though
  • mendonca said:

I would say he's worth somewhere between 8-9k a week with at least a 3-4 year contract. A one year contract would be insulting our captain certainly.

That would be £420-470K per year for one player.  Our operating turnover last year was £9.8M.  would we really pay one player 5% of that?  Maybe a striker or a kid with massive potential we think we can turn a profit on but a defensive midfielder?
    I love Dobbo and hope he stays and it ain't my money so if they pay him up then I am all for it. I just don't see it.
  • supaclive said:
    fenaddick said:
    mendonca said:

Would think his issue there would be more to do with length rather than wage. From a club perspective, they clearly don't think he can make the leap to the Championship. Seems a big risk if true though
    We as a club don't seem able to make the leap.  I'm happy to bet anybody that if Dobson doesn't extend his contract that he'll be in the Championship before we are.

No League 1 footballer is perfect but he's our best player and has been for 3 years nearly.

It is also not just how much we should pay him but how much would it cost to replace him.
    I agree, I don't think we're ready for that leap either. Just trying to work out why you'd only offer the club captain a 1 year deal!
  • mendonca said:

I thought those days were over too but just relaying what I heard from close friends to Dobbo. Could be guff and all part of negotiations, or could be what's occurred outright. No idea.

8-9k a bit on high side as you have to look at our wage ceiling.
  • mendonca said:

That would be £420-470K per year for one player.  Our operating turnover last year was £9.8M.  would we really pay one player 5% of that?  Maybe a striker or a kid with massive potential we think we can turn a profit on but a defensive midfielder?
    I love Dobbo and hope he stays and it ain't my money so if they pay him up then I am all for it. I just don't see it.
    Good point, I am just thinking of how much he is worth rather than what we could afford.

Either way if we aren't willing to add to what he already earns and a long term contract, we have no chance of keeping him. Going to be an interesting year or so, we will see what the hundred owners are about 
  • edited December 2023
    I am of the view that we should wait. I think a Championship club will probably be happy to have a punt on him so our best bet is to get into the championship and get a deal done then. At the stage of career he is at, I think he probably thinks he needs to try a higher level of football. If we do that, it is probably best to be open and put your cards on the table and understand his position. 
  • mendonca said:

I was told he has been offered a 2 yr + 1 (option) on at least £7k, making him our highest earner.

Current highest earner is Fraser on £7k. (not technically true as Tedic is on 15k(!!!) and we are paying the majority of that).
  • Sponsored links:

• Is it just me, but who really cares about this dull Darren Pratley debate on this thread?!
  • mendonca said:

I was told he has been offered a 2 yr + 1 (option) on at least £7k, making him our highest earner.

Current highest earner is Fraser on £7k. (not technically true as Tedic is on 15k(!!!) and we are paying the majority of that).
    Me too 
  • mendonca said:

That's very reasonable imo. If we have offered that and he doesn't sign, I wouldn't be disgruntled at the club. Assuming the option is his terms as well?

I would say 3 guaranteed with the extra 1 would be ideal, but it's not the worst offer. 

Unfortunately I can see a club like Stoke or something rolling the dice on him 
  • mendonca said:

That's very reasonable imo. If we have offered that and he doesn't sign, I wouldn't be disgruntled at the club. Assuming the option is his terms as well?

I would say 3 guaranteed with the extra 1 would be ideal, but it's not the worst offer. 

Think 3 + 1 is taking a bit of a gamble. Club clearly looking to be promoted next year at the latest and from then on you need to continually improve. As proven in recent years its hard to improve when you have players on big, long contracts
  • mendonca said:

This would make sense rather than the other rumour on this thread indicating a poor deal had been offered. Especially with the news of the head of performance being recruited from Brighton I don’t understand why the owners would deal in pounds for a head of performance but pennies for players.
  • edited December 2023
    fenaddick said:
    mendonca said:

Think 3 + 1 is taking a bit of a gamble. Club clearly looking to be promoted next year at the latest and from then on you need to continually improve. As proven in recent years its hard to improve when you have players on big, long contracts
    I can see why you think it would be a gamble, but it would be more of a gamble to lose him and not be able to replace him imo. 

Always fit to play, always puts a shift in, he is getting better and he's our captain. Could be the perfect water carrier if we improve elsewhere on the pitch. 
  • mendonca said:

If someone agreed to pay anything over 5k pw for Tedic then they need to give their head a wobble.
  • 15k for Tedic ? so what are we paying Campbell ? sorry but I can't believe that as it would put us outside the financial rules. 
  • We aren't paying Tedic 15k. That's what he earns at City, we'll be paying a portion of it and maybe too high a portion but I doubt it's £14,999 that we're covering
  • Sponsored links:

• fenaddick said:
    mendonca said:

I know who I'd tip to make the jump to the Championship between Dobson and Charlton.
  • Does that yellow card today mean he’s suspended next week?

same questions applies for May

Nope
  • If he was on a 3 year contract what would we expect a club to pay for him ?
    you have to factor that in to his wages 
    I’m guessing £500k-£750k so he’d expect plenty of that for resigning for us, plus his salary
    so £7k over 3 years is just over £1m which is prolly not considered his full worth (to him or his agent )

No but if they had got a / second yellow then yes .. 
  • Lime wedges, guacamole, rice and coriander to serve? 
  • edited December 2023
    That's nowhere near enough ground cumin Dobbo
  • Look, it's not perfect, but I appreciate that he's trying. Sweet potatoes are a good shout. My girlfriend and I do chili the day after Thanksgiving. This year we put some left over butternut squash in and it added some nice texture and sweetness. 

As with all things Dobbo, it feels very earnest, and I appreciate that. If you want SD Addick's Guacamole recipe "to garnish" let me know. 
  • SDAddick said:
    Look, it's not perfect, but I appreciate that he's trying. Sweet potatoes are a good shout. My girlfriend and I do chili the day after Thanksgiving. This year we put some left over butternut squash in and it added some nice texture and sweetness. 

As with all things Dobbo, it feels very earnest, and I appreciate that. If you want SD Addick's Guacamole recipe "to garnish" let me know.