Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

George Dobson - Gone to Wrexham p136, farewell message p142

Comments

• Let the apologies be as loud as the disrespect 
  • Will sign for a Championship club in January 
  • Curbs said his passing is underrated, and that he’s a good passer short and long.
  • Scoham said:
    Curbs said his passing is underrated, and that he’s a good passer short and long.
    I've always said this. What he's sometimes lacked is composure. Tonight that's been in great evidence (a couple of moments aside) 
  • Some good play for the goals today.
  • At times I just don’t believe how Dobson is still playing in the third tier. He has great vision and control that is more belonging to at least div2. I hope we increase the size of his pay packet with a good contract not too soon.
  • He is a no brainer for a championship club to take, I hope they overlook him and go after a show pony instead but I'd have him in my team every time. 
  • edited October 2023
    Brilliant play to start the move for the third goal.

But did have two major cock ups that on another night would’ve cost us goals. Especially the second one where he passed it directly to their striker would’ve been punished at a higher level.
  • Sponsored links:

• The only reason he is in League one is his pace. Same kind of reason why JJ spent most of his time in L1 too. 
  • "A limited workhorse" !

A quote from last week.

Other than one shocking pass that nearly led to a goal last night his passing was excellent and showed some great skill on the ball.

George Dobson has been carrying the midfield for a couple of seasons, and with hopefully Louie Watson getting fitter to go with his skill on the ball a partnership can develop and they can pull the strings like they did against Wigan. 
  • To be honest, Dobson always turns up best when he's had a bit of doubt thrown his way. He's very good at responding to his own weaker performances. If he could improve his positional sense a bit more he'd be a much better player. I wonder if Appleton works on that with him or if they just let Dobson be Dobson
  • He has added the pacy forward pass from deep this season. 
  • Very decent performance after two underwhelming games. So many beautiful turns and composed touches. Kept the game ticking along nicely. Was vital he didn't get a yellow so we have him for Pompey where he's going to be needed
  • Sponsored links:

• Some stat, definitely his best season under us so far, really hoping he signs that bloody contract
    Maybe he'll wait & see what happens in January re improving the team. Of course January is a difficult window but Appleton seems to be mentioning it a bit.
  • I think he will be off personally. He will have decent offers for sure maybe not in January but for sure when he is out of contract sadly. It would show we mean business if he extended with us but I don’t think we will get anywhere near what is on the table. Championship club will sign him I think
  • It would be huge to see Dobbo go. Especially if you look at Fraser/McGrandles consistency.

Apparently the club are offering pretty piss poor contract to him to extend.

If that's the case, don't expect some magical squad improvements in Jan. There's a reason we have Tedic, Abankwah, Campbell etc (£ v ££) 
  • Dobson's been pretty poor the last two games imo, we need a response akin to what he mustered at Wigan. I don't necessarily think a world without Dobson will be all doom and gloom if he is leaving, although when he's good he's obviously very effective indeed. Hope he signs a new contract and knuckles down and stops shooting with his left foot or going for so many hero passes 
  • Dobson this season has been a better "footballer" than in previous years. Better passing and shooting, more box to box. It has left gaps in front of the back 4 though, as he's now a less effective shield, often being dragged out of position as he chases the ball. Our poor defensive record isn't just down to the defence.
  • Would like to see if there is a correlation between tackles won and goals conceded tbh
  • Leuth said:
    Would like to see if there is a correlation between tackles won and goals conceded tbh
    You really need to see some data on that?
  • Without Dobson, our midfield has a huge hole in it. Like it did in the Pratson era.

I think you might have missed the point about him signing a contract and knuckling down. There are a few players earning more than him and I believe he just wants parity and a contract longer than a year. Perhaps a tactic to get him to move on for £100k or so in Jan?