Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

George Dobson - Gone to Wrexham p136, farewell message p142

Comments

• We've had "no midfield" in the last 2 games, let's either blame Dobson or have a think as to what has actually caused the problem.
    Ah yes, the industrious Louis Watson has been replaced by the ambling Scott Fraser.
    Well, let's hope the gaffer "sees the light" & rectifies this on Tuesday evening.

We weren't doing too badly before SF returned to the squad...
  • George just needs a rest. The next booking will provide that but he should be given a break now. 
  • The guy gives his all and as others have said needs a bit of a rest, but with Taylor and McGrandles both in the treatment room, I can’t see that happening too soon. 

Most importantly he needs a bit of a fellow engine roomer alongside him…
  • Off the boil again.

Part of me is hoping he gets a booking soon so we can see how we play without him. I don’t think it’d be as bad as some fear…

This is the real "we'll know where we really are test".

For the last two seasons Dobson has been an absolute necessity in the midfield, until we can play without a fairly limited but committed battling defensive midfield shield we won't be going very far up the football leagues.

*And no, before some of you start handing out wanky lols, this doesn't mean I don't rate him or want him droped*
  • edited October 2023
    mmmm…… love a wanky lol
  • Dobson is clearly holding back a bit to avoid another yellow card and suspension.
    He's been less effective in the last 2 games because he's also attempting to cover most of the midfield, whilst Fraser is doing an impression of an asthmatic geriatric.
    There’s another 5 games before it increases to 10 bookings. 
  • Apples should just tell him to go out there and get a booking and get it out of the way. A half hearted Dobson isn't good for us.

• Sponsored links:

• Not sure we can put his performances dow  to worrying about a yellow. He absolutely clattered a Bolton player on the edge of their box in the first half and should have been booked for it.
  • I hope they're not expecting Dobbo to run, tackle and cover the ground he does for 100 minutes x46 games. Looked tired on Tuesday. 
  • edited October 2023
    It's the same as the old Stockley debate. 

Yes, he's a good League One player. Does he lead a promotion chasing team looking at playing in the Championship? I don't think so. 
  • edited October 2023
    He's overdoing it, runs out of position a lot and tries too hard. Whether that's his own decision making or a tactic I don't know but he has no control over the midfield. Which is a shame cause early doors I thought he looked to be having his best season.

As soon as he plays decent midfielders he has an off game. I don't think he can play in a 2 man midfield personally. I think the best way to utilise him would be behind two midfielders as an anchor. Our defense is piss poor weak and would give Camara and Watson more freedom ahead of him.

Either way it's another season of midfield fragility and Dobson has been an integral part of this midfield for a few seasons now, got to figure out a way to actually control the ball, especially at home when we seem to have no chance of doing it away.
  • Chunes said:
    He's our only player that shows any aggression in winning the ball back. Take him out and we'd be wanting to sub him back on 15 mins later. 
    Exactly and there lies the problem. As a number of posters have said, when our 'best' player is a player like Dobson there are serious issues. He's a limited work horses who shows glimpses of sporadic quality. 

In his defense, I think similar to Jones, he's suffering from lack of leadership around him. 

• Chunes said:
    He's our only player that shows any aggression in winning the ball back. Take him out and we'd be wanting to sub him back on 15 mins later. 
    Exactly and there lies the problem. As a number of posters have said, when our 'best' player is a player like Dobson there are serious issues. He's a limited work horses who shows glimpses of sporadic quality. 

In his defense, I think similar to Jones, he's suffering from lack of leadership around him. 

I think at this level, all our players are limited and some are more limited than others
  • edited October 2023
    Chunes said:

And imbalanced squad building, signing players who can either defend or attack and not do both. Bolton have midfield and attacking players who are robust and don't back out of one-on-ones, we don't. We either have a Dobbo or a Fraser/Kirk. 
  • Dobson is (usually) very good at aspects of midfield play. No Championship side would sign him though, of that I'm fairly certain 
  • Sponsored links:

• Dobson can be a problem but isn’t THE problem. He plays hero ball but it doesn’t get noticed as he’s defensive not attacking. He needs a midfielder alongside him who can defend. When he has that Dobson is much better positionally and had started to show how good he can be with the ball at his feet. Personally though I think he’s knackered, I hope he gets booked soon so he can be forced to rest and then get some of his aggression back without fear of suspension
  • Fraser reminds me of Morgan. Able to open a defence with his ability and vision. difference between him and Morgan is that Fraser can do it more consistently and Morgan has more energy than Fraser. 
  • Maybe the answer is a midfield 3 of Fraser, Watson and Camara with Dobson going back to his roots as a CB and replacing Hector.
  • Maybe the answer is a midfield 3 of Fraser, Watson and Camara with Dobson going back to his roots as a CB and replacing Hector.
    Has Dobson played CB previously?
  • edited October 2023
    se9addick said:
    Maybe the answer is a midfield 3 of Fraser, Watson and Camara with Dobson going back to his roots as a CB and replacing Hector.
    Has Dobson played CB previously?
    In youth football, converted to midfield when he stepped up to seniors, presumably because of his height?
  • It's the same as the old Stockley debate. 

Yes, he's a good League One player. Does he lead a promotion chasing team looking at playing in the Championship? I don't think so. 
    But how many of those are we carrying ?