Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

George Dobson - Hungarians say transfer on hold til the summer (p61)

Comments

• Options
    Really missed Coventry didn't we? 

Almost like that signing was completely pointless and should've been spent on an attacking midfielder instead. 
    Could not agree more. If Coventry is so good on the ball let’s put him as the ten and see what happens. 

Ladapo and Kanu with may in the ten is my choice. Chuks obvs playing from 60 for one of l and k 
  • Options
    Gribbo said:
    Curbs just said he'd have Dobbo in every squad he's ever had and that he's vastly underrated

Brownie is putting it all down to a miscomunication between all parties. 
    Miscommunication? Of what? Surely you can't miscommunicate contract offers? Wouldn't they be given in writing?
  • Options
    If we made the right offer he'd stay. Now somehow he or us need to extricate him from the pre contract agreement he has signed.
  • Options
    supaclive said:
    Can the decision be ‘reversed’ or is it set in stone, and done and dusted?

We have made some crazy decisions this transfer window.
  • Options
    You could say he stands out because  is the best of an and does 90% of the work. 
    Or you could think that with better players around him he will thrive and become an even better CDM.
  • Options
    supaclive said:

It's also an odd decision by Dobson and his agent, as he could receive decent offers from Championship clubs in the summer, not least the 3 teams promoted from L1 this season, and be stuck with a move to Hungary.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Plaaayer said:
    People saying that Dobson wouldn’t be missed are no doubt the same people that didn’t rate CBT for us. 
    They were right He was shit even derby know he’s lazy barely a month in 
  • Options
    supaclive said:

I don't know how pre contract agreements work, but they can't force Dobbo on a plane, if he wants to stay and we offer him what he wants what can they do, they can sue for breach of contract I guess and we may have to pay a few hundred thousand but that's down to Scott for f***ing up in the first place
  • Options
    supaclive said:

I don't know how pre contract agreements work, but they can't force Dobbo on a plane, if he wants to stay and we offer him what he wants what can they do, they can sue for breach of contract I guess and we may have to pay a few hundred thousand but that's down to Scott for f***ing up in the first place
    I dunno, the Hungarian leader is a bit scary  :D
  • Options
    edited February 14
    Nadou said:
    Those quotes to me sound like another nail in the coffin for Andy Scott. He's basically all but said 'i overruled him'.
    Now, IF Andy is an honourable bloke and IF he wants to continue working in this "field" , might I respectfully suggest he considers falling on his sword before this issue escalates.

Too many questions at present & not enough clarity.

Surely, having our new manager in the firing line at his pre match interview ( which he handled superbly as we knew he would) won't cut the mustard . 

And sooner or later, Dobbo's position will need clarification....

Once again, I'd urge all the home fans there tomorrow night to be loud & proud in their support of our captain & leave him in NO doubt whatsoever that his place and his future is here, wearing the red shirt. 
    What is the song for Dobson? I can't recall hearing one, which has always struck me as odd.
    " We love you, Dobbo, we do,

We love you, Dobbo, we do,

We love you, Dobbo, we do.

Oh, Dobbo, we love you !"

:) .
    Erm!  Not sure I do but I'd like him to stay, is that good enough.
    Dont rhyme?!
  • Options
    Gribbo said:
    Glad Minto, Brownie and Curbs saw him get clattered, put in a great cross, then sprint 70 odd yards to make a world class challenge on the right hand side of the box, because I think a lot of other missed it.

Like May, he made some errors in the first half, but when you're being pulled out of position to cover team mates, you're gonna expose yourself to some mistakes. 

What about the poor header that led to there goal he was not pulled out of position then ?? That cost us two points .. I hope you let other players off lightly when they make a mistake like that in the future … 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited February 14
    No one is denying it was a weak header but you see that in games from the Premier to National League BUT unfortunately at Charlton it gets compounded by colleges not having his back in that instance when the ball comes back into the box. TBF to the whole team after a shaky start we did look more together at the back despite Thomas having an erratic night with his passing.
  • Options
    edited February 14
    Plaaayer said:
    People saying that Dobson wouldn’t be missed are no doubt the same people that didn’t rate CBT for us. 
    They were right He was shit even derby know he’s lazy barely a month in 

Not sure if you are joking 🤔
    The reason Derby bought Corey Blackett-Taylor are because he can go past defenders on the outside or inside, is two footed and can play on the right or left and he could be a strong player for them. Use him as your x factor player and he will prove his worth. Defensively lacking but a major miss for Charlton.
    Check out his stats for Cafc this season or over the last two seasons for goals and assists.
  • Options
    No one is denying it was a weak header but you see that in games from the Premier to National League BUT unfortunately at Charlton it gets compounded by colleges not having his back in that instance when the ball comes back into the box. TBF to the whole team after a shaky start we did look more together at the back despite Thomas having an erratic night with his passing.

That’s how I saw it , there were plenty of weak headers on both sides. This one wasn’t cleared up
  • Options
    Gribbo said:
    Curbs just said he'd have Dobbo in every squad he's ever had and that he's vastly underrated

What does he know eh
  • Options
    supaclive said:

Typical that would be eh. We end up paying a few hundred thousand for a player who was ours anyway. Scott really has fucked up.
    Surely would be a 1st and stupid as hell. The only positives from it would be he would of helped keep us up (he ain’t gonna stay in L2), and surely that would be final nail in Andy Scott’s coffin 
  • Options
    Gribbo said:

What does he know eh
    Curbs also said that "we need an explanation" about the situation. He'll be getting a WhatsApp from Grapevine on Saturday's show, then.

Jones comments are absolutely on point, and I'm sure Curbs agrees with him on this too

https://x.com/RichCawleySLP/status/1757536097460977674?s=20

https://x.com/RichCawleySLP/status/1757530515156959340?s=20
  • Options
    Gribbo said:

What does he know eh
    I couldn’t agree when he was talking about Chuks starting games though, we’ve tried before and know how that ends.
  • Options

To be honest, I think we're a bit harsh on those sorts of headers out of the box. I'm actually slightly amazed to have come back from the match and seeing Dobson getting grief for it. Tennai had one last week. When the ball comes in like that without pace it's really difficult to generate much power onto a header out that's usually done as a bit of a reflex as it comes at you. It's not going to go miles out, it clears the immediate danger but needs clean up. The problem is we don't win second balls on the edge of the area. There's four players in a box around Hackett and he still gets a shot away. If people are going to criticise crap George Dobson headers it should be the bizarre headed through ball he did for absolutely no reason before this one that set them free out wide and they should have scored from.
  • Options
    Well Dobbo has gone... absolutely gutted and disgusted with the way he has been treated by 1 person in particular. The truth will come out in the coming days. But I have been allowed to post this from the family of George in case anyone was wondering.
    Well ladies & gentleman have we all managed to vent our spleen?

I have no wish to minimise anyone’s life challenges but the noise escalation button within the Charlton community seems to be set on a hair trigger with an open throttle. Contract negotiations are part & parcel of the industry. People have their noses put out of joint every day of the week yet one party screams foul and social media explodes.

If the truth was coming out in the next few days why did you feel it appropriate to release it hours before a match? What George is more important than the club, the squad, the new manager and the 3000 spending good money at Reading? Where is your common sense filter?

Sorry, the outburst reads like a Dad on a touch line in the park on a Sunday morning. Is it how he influenced negotiations? What you can malign a bloke 90% have never met and I can’t? He opened his mouth to stick his head above the parapet not me.

It now turns out it may not be the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth.

Where do you work? The last time I looked, one G. Dobson is a contracted employee of a football club. Have you worked on contract? I have. In such circumstances they own your arse and the contract determines when & where they get to  use it. Until it expires Dobson is employed to serve the interests of the club not the other way round. 

Those interests can change at any point. Don’t like it don’t take the pay cheque.

As some are so well informed could you share details of the financial disposable income package on offer from Hungary? I ask because;
    a) I have a problem with forming an opinion based on one side of an argument
    b) When relocating to Dallas I was heading for 40% boost in disposable income and a pay rise
    c) Cost of living comparisons from dwelling in Budapest are between 45-55% lower

Quite simply clubs do not offer contracts/ pay increases to players they dont want. If it is just about the money however there is nowhere to go. Is it fair? Probably not but you put it out there not me. You define George by his pay check. Good job. I like the guy. George, I mean. I don’t know his Dad. Don’t know George either but seems a nice fella.

Watson has nothing to do with it. What any other player is on is none of anyone else’s business! Taboo, Taboo, Taboo. I could add another 6 Taboos all the way down to level 9 of the pyramid. Attacking another players contract? How do you think that goes down in the dressing room? I have known people chinned for less. Some deem their earnings as very personal indeed. You don’t own these people.

The clue is in the header & or footer, clauses of every contract. « Private & Confidential. ». Fuck that this is football. » No fuck you. There is a reason people didn’t use to shoot their mouths off in this business. Anyone operating in it for nigh on a decade, as per the Dobsons’ knows a transfer is not done until it is done. Naivety is not an excuse.

The outcome, after pages of emotional & preposterous poisonous rants, is the club had and has an out of contract player moving on to accept better terms. Hold the front pages people - there must be more noise we make about this. Will feathers have been ruffled, frustrations vented, angry words exchanged? What like in real life? Who knew?

You are entitled to disagree with the club’s assessment of the value of the player. That’s it. As you seem so happy to throw money around what would you have paid? Are we talking £8k - £10k pw. Are you paying George £1.5m? And Blackett-Taylor? Anyone else? I mean it’s not your money is it?

Was money the answer for Blackett-Taylor? He was due to be out of contract and allegedly refusing to play. Does that sound right? He is under contract isn’t he? What you want a guy who spits the dummy when he can’t get what he wants? Who are you Jermaine Defoe? He was attracted to the Derby offer, the clubs status and its location.

What was your offer? More money? Longer contract? Guaranteed appearances? Turn the league table upside down? Should we relocate? You don’t compensate players for living away from their roots.

Is this the game where we give players more money to sign until the team struggles at which point we can argue they are only here for the money? I like it - even morons can’t lose. 

As it happens I disagree with Mr Scott. I would have offered George a 3yr contract. Whether I would have guaranteed £750k I am not entirely sure. I may have tweaked the appearance, performance, promotion bonuses but I can’t ignore £750k in the summer can go a long way. Nothing evil, nothing pernicious, nothing excessively stupid just a difference of opinion.

Interestingly many offer endless appreciation of George (me too) but is anyone saying we can build a promotion winning/ Championship stable side around him? What are you settling for 3 more years in League 1?

Ultimately what juvenile negotiates a contract against another players’ earnings? Is that the best you can do? It is privileged information you idiot. Wrack is I believe a European recruitment agent. If you think such people serve anybody but themselves you do not understand the parasites in this industry.

Dobsons’ agent is listed as Every Aspect. You can do your own research. Suffice to say the only other player in the club on « their » (there is one Director)  books is one T.Watson - funny how his details came up - eh?

If Dobson has secured a better overall remuneration elsewhere I wish him well and hope he and we get to enjoy his final months in the shirt. If his prospective employers are prepared to offer him terms apparently nobody in the UK will, who are we to disrespect his choice of country, their League or their club?

There is no need for any formal announcement. What you want a running commentary on every contract negotiation? What a daily bulletin? To say what? How self important are you? Mr Jones has given you all the detail necessary. I suggest we return to supporting Mr Jones in his attempts to focus on more important matters.

No one is arguing people should not be held accountable for their decisions at the right time. If you think this is the right time you need your head examining. There is palpably no need for any further distractions. 

The reason we are where we are where could not be more straightforward.

Every industry has a natural trading cycle.

The SMT because of the timing of acquisition stepped outside of that cycle. You do so at your own risk.

So no you don’t naturally rebuild a squad;
    - in a 6 week January 2023 dalliance
    - in the 6 weeks left in the Summer 2023 window
    and most palpably don’t gut a team in the January 2024 window

If you do, you face going backwards before you go forwards.

Clubs have preseason for a reason. Preseason in February is not a good look. Players look like strangers for a reason. Ward, Ramsay, Edmonds-Green, Gillespey, Small, Bakinson, Coventry, Fiorini, Ladapo, and the returning  Camara, Taylor & Aneke is a new team with no preseason.

As Sandgaard argued it is not a complicated business.

It is not but timing is everything.

Is patience at the outset, when everybody is demanding momentum, an awkward if not a difficult « sell » to investors and stakeholders? It is but I am astonished the football grown ups in the building have been unable to navigate the ensuing challenges.

I am entirely comfortable with the intent of those involved. That counts for something but I am not sure any of it has felt quite right but then I spent 20yrs in rebuilding/ building businesses.

Once again there are people in place who should know better.

It is very largely the same mistake made by Sandgaard where his early progress was inhibited by Covid and an illegal salary cap. I recognise the impatience for progress but you cannot progress if your core infrastructure is not strong enough to carry the challenges and stresses that come with change. Bits simply fall off.

Nathan Jones is here to sweep up the pieces and we go again. He is going to need all the support he can get. I hope George gets to contribute.
    Quite an arrogant and unpleasant tone, I thought that you were better than that.
    Every essay pretty much is and ignores the fact that the verbose defences of pretty much every 'executive' ownership had been wide of the mark over past few years.

I still remember the protracted defences of ESI sneering at those who had different and less well articulated views and hadn't been corporate big wigs when in fact football clubs are so dysfunctional and business model so far removed form 'normal' business the parallels are almost irrelevant.

Try not to call people out but when it's such obvious sneering and disdain to the point of pompous arrogance dressed up as an essay then it needs challenging especially calling fellow fans idiots etc.
    Shut up , you idiot. Sneeeeeeer.........

(Only joking Rodders. X)