Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

George Dobson - Hungarians say transfer on hold til the summer (p61)

Comments

• Options
    @Braziliance

obviously I don’t know how you are fixed for time and money, but you can get cheap flights and decent accomm in Budapest between now and a bit before Easter. Yes, go
    and take in an NB1 game but not a big derby involving Ferencvaros. Maybe Ujpest against a club from outside the capital. And vlog that. Based on my 30 years of trying and failing to love the Czech league, I think you will find it an eye-opener.
    And find that we would beat these sides.
  • Options
    Probably been covered on here already, but if it was only ever a pre-contract that was signed, why was Dobson posing with the Jersey and flying out to Hungary at this point anyway? 
  • Options
    Gribbo said:
    Probably been covered on here already, but if it was only ever a pre-contract that was signed, why was Dobson posing with the Jersey and flying out to Hungary at this point anyway? 
    Because Dobbo was going to be joining them this month (Hungarian window closes 14th) - but subject to Dobbo, Charlton and the Hungarian team all being in agreement.  Assume that Dobbo thought he'd be off (Scott must have agreeed it) - but Charlton (probably Jones) said no - he stays until his contract expires in the summer.
  • Options
    CafcWest said:
    Gribbo said:
    Because Dobbo was going to be joining them this month (Hungarian window closes 14th) - but subject to Dobbo, Charlton and the Hungarian team all being in agreement.  Assume that Dobbo thought he'd be off (Scott must have agreeed it) - but Charlton (probably Jones) said no - he stays until his contract expires in the summer.
    Oh, so the pre-contract was only meant to cover a couple of weeks up until signing the proper contract. 

Then begs the question, if the pre-contract is as water tight as a normal contract ie - it can't be broken in the instance Dobson or Charlton change their mind, why not just call it a contract. Or is the pre-contract only there to purely protect the interests of the Hangarians? 
  • Options
    How safe would a 30-year-old, opened bottle be? My dad used to offer it to guests after a dinner party...pretty much nobody had more than a sip. 
    This is like a medicine with alkohol, you can drink it, it is safe. 
  • Options
    Gribbo said:
    CafcWest said:
    Gribbo said:
    Oh, so the pre-contract was only meant to cover a couple of weeks up until signing the proper contract. 

Then begs the question, if the pre-contract is as water tight as a normal contract ie - it can't be broken in the instance Dobson or Charlton change their mind, why not just call it a contract. Or is the pre-contract only there to purely protect the interests of the Hangarians? 
    Not quite. The pre-contract is for the summer. I'm guessing the club then thought they might as well get a fee while they can. That's why they he was going to fly to Hungary. I'm guessing that when the move fell through the Hungarian team sent over a shirt for him to pose with
  • Options
    Lads, hear me out, with the news of Dobson staying for the rest of the season who fancies meeting me in the west stand toilets during the Lincoln game for some UniCum?

Will be Unidust if in the West stand.
  • Options
    RC_CAFC said:
    Wasn’t just me that heard Jones hinting that there was a chance Dobson could still stay beyond this season was it?
    No it wasn't, that's exactly what he suggested 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Lads, hear me out, with the news of Dobson staying for the rest of the season who fancies meeting me in the west stand toilets during the Lincoln game for some UniCum?

Will be Unidust if in the West stand.
    So let me get this right, fans are being invited to  unibond using unidust in the west stand toilets. 

• Options
    Gribbo said:
    Rob7Lee said:
    Well, it seems like someone at the club who actually understands football, has realised how important Dobson could be in a relegation fight and has stood their ground. Thank Christ. 

Some of the comments not understanding the move to Hungary are quite amusing for me. 

Videoton/Fehervar have been competing in Europe and getting results/competing in recent years against the likes of: Chelsea, Ludogrets, Malmo, AEK Athens, Partizan, PAOK, Bordeaux, Reims, Köln. Do you genuinely not understand how bad the likes of those clubs would smash us to fkn pieces on the pitch 😂 Play league 1 footie surrounded by players who look like they've won a competition and don't put in half the effort you do, or, join a team that competes to win their league and is willing to pay you a very fair wage in a nice country. What a decision.

Suspect it's the people with the same view that Rangers wasn't a big move at the time for Aribo. It's a brilliant move for Dobson at this stage of his career. 

When it's all said and done, he will be able to say he played European football for one of the best teams in a different country, OR he could say, he scraped by, year after year for a club that's been mismanaged by absolute crooks in League 1. 

In an ideal world, he would have stayed, and he would have been one of the main people in charge of a promotion challenging team. Unfortunately, getting a senior role at Charlton is the easiest job application in the world apparently, and his situation has been completely mismanaged. 

Good luck to Dobson. I hope he can help keep us in this poxy league for another year, and we can wipe the stains from the club that currently have far too much say, next season. 👍🏻

For me it’s nothing to do with the perceived quality of league etc. I understand that a footballers career is very finite, and ultimately they need to try and make as much money, and play at the highest level they can, during the period they play. 

If he was a single bloke, then maybe, but I just don’t understand why with a very young family, you would make such a move unless it was for an absolutely life changing wage - which I just don’t think it will be.

With 6 months left on his contract it just tells me that they know they won’t get an offer better than what Charlton offered from another English team. 

Don't know what he earns here, but it's more than possible for him to be getting towards £1m with bonuses etc at the new club plus a decent signing on fee, Hungary has very low tax rates as well (flat 15% on income), so likely he'd need to earn at least 50% more in the UK to net the same. 

Plus many people see working abroad for a period as an adventure and an opportunity.

I can’t speak for other people or George Dobson, but I don’t think in life when you have a baby, that you are looking for adventure at that point. 

Just doing some research and the average salary seems to be about £8,500 a month. However Ferenacvos will pay significantly better and you have to expect George will be one of the higher earners in that team as well. 

However there needs to be a massive increase to the average to make it anywhere near a million a year. 
    That's all well and good, but he hasn't signed for Ferencvaros.
    Oh, wow, not sure why I thought it was Ferencvaros.

I’ve actually been to Székesfehérvár/Fehérvár
    where Dobson will be based, on my way to Lake Balaton one year.

All I can really remember of that time is an awful tasting drink called ‘Unicum’. 
    A very popular drink among mainly female students while at Uni.....🍸 
    The texture of the drink is "thick, black, goopy" and so bitter that it is often described as an acquired taste. The drink's name originates from the words of Holy Roman Emperor Joseph II, who in 1790, when being given the drink, said (in German) "Das ist ein Unikum!" ("This is unique!")
    My own Hungarian mate advised me to stick to unicum riserva, which I vaguely remember was rich and smooth. Her dad always offered us a palinka on arrival, and then another. Quite hard work, Budapest.
  • Options
    IdleHans said:
    Gribbo said:
    Rob7Lee said:
    Well, it seems like someone at the club who actually understands football, has realised how important Dobson could be in a relegation fight and has stood their ground. Thank Christ. 

Some of the comments not understanding the move to Hungary are quite amusing for me. 

Videoton/Fehervar have been competing in Europe and getting results/competing in recent years against the likes of: Chelsea, Ludogrets, Malmo, AEK Athens, Partizan, PAOK, Bordeaux, Reims, Köln. Do you genuinely not understand how bad the likes of those clubs would smash us to fkn pieces on the pitch 😂 Play league 1 footie surrounded by players who look like they've won a competition and don't put in half the effort you do, or, join a team that competes to win their league and is willing to pay you a very fair wage in a nice country. What a decision.

Suspect it's the people with the same view that Rangers wasn't a big move at the time for Aribo. It's a brilliant move for Dobson at this stage of his career. 

When it's all said and done, he will be able to say he played European football for one of the best teams in a different country, OR he could say, he scraped by, year after year for a club that's been mismanaged by absolute crooks in League 1. 

In an ideal world, he would have stayed, and he would have been one of the main people in charge of a promotion challenging team. Unfortunately, getting a senior role at Charlton is the easiest job application in the world apparently, and his situation has been completely mismanaged. 

Good luck to Dobson. I hope he can help keep us in this poxy league for another year, and we can wipe the stains from the club that currently have far too much say, next season. 👍🏻

For me it’s nothing to do with the perceived quality of league etc. I understand that a footballers career is very finite, and ultimately they need to try and make as much money, and play at the highest level they can, during the period they play. 

If he was a single bloke, then maybe, but I just don’t understand why with a very young family, you would make such a move unless it was for an absolutely life changing wage - which I just don’t think it will be.

With 6 months left on his contract it just tells me that they know they won’t get an offer better than what Charlton offered from another English team. 

Don't know what he earns here, but it's more than possible for him to be getting towards £1m with bonuses etc at the new club plus a decent signing on fee, Hungary has very low tax rates as well (flat 15% on income), so likely he'd need to earn at least 50% more in the UK to net the same. 

Plus many people see working abroad for a period as an adventure and an opportunity.

I can’t speak for other people or George Dobson, but I don’t think in life when you have a baby, that you are looking for adventure at that point. 

Just doing some research and the average salary seems to be about £8,500 a month. However Ferenacvos will pay significantly better and you have to expect George will be one of the higher earners in that team as well. 

However there needs to be a massive increase to the average to make it anywhere near a million a year. 

All I can really remember of that time is an awful tasting drink called ‘Unicum’. 
    The texture of the drink is "thick, black, goopy" and so bitter that it is often described as an acquired taste. The drink's name originates from the words of Holy Roman Emperor Joseph II, who in 1790, when being given the drink, said (in German) "Das ist ein Unikum!" ("This is unique!")
    My own Hungarian mate advised me to stick to unicum riserva, which I vaguely remember was rich and smooth. Her dad always offered us a palinka on arrival, and then another. Quite hard work, Budapest.
    I better love palinka. Little bit stronger 50%. If you drink a good pálinka, after jou drink it, you can taste the fruit which made from.
  • Options
    edited February 12
    This is shit goes deeper than JFK, The moon landing and 5g masts all rolled into one.

Keep it up please. Absolute gold this thread. 

• Options

Grapevine - I couldn't agree more with this: 

There is no need for any formal announcement. What you want a running commentary on every contract negotiation? What a daily bulletin? To say what? How self important are you? Mr Jones has given you all the detail necessary. I suggest we return to supporting Mr Jones in his attempts to focus on more important matters.

• Options
    Not had Internet for a couple days as on holiday, whats the latest? 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    IdleHans said:
    Gribbo said:
    Rob7Lee said:

I better love palinka. Little bit stronger 50%. If you drink a good pálinka, after jou drink it, you can taste the fruit which made from.
    Well well well, you learn something new every day.

And there was me thinking a Palinka was a just a ‘little dink’ down the middle….
  • Options
    Some good points. Especially on the timing of upsetting 3k fan base travelling to an important away game. Which in fact, took a twist after the game to make took us to a  new level of owning the case and basket.
  • Options
    Well, as the saying goes, there's a lot to unpack there... ;)
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    Some good points. Especially on the timing of upsetting 3k fan base travelling to an important away game. Which in fact, took a twist after the game to make took us to a  new level of owning the case and basket.
    Who was it that released the info, was it Dobsons dad?
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    Who was it that released the info, was it Dobsons dad?
    Think everything that his dad did pass on was correct at the time. It seems like we were getting everything pretty soon after it developed, once the initial move was confirm.