Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

George Dobson - Hungarians say transfer on hold til the summer (p61)

Comments

• Options
    Lurker said:

Is it normal for a pre-contract agreement to be announced with a shirt-holding photo?  Or has that happened with the assumption that a permanent deal was about to be completed?  

I wonder if George was asked if he was happy for this announcement / photo release to happen once the immediate transfer fell through.  

Not ideal for a club captain to have that out in the public domain but it gives me some hope as he’s obviously said to Jones that he’s willing to stay and fight to keep us up.

I was wondering the same about the photo. Don't recall seeing that before but may have been something I've forgotten. 
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    Lurker said:

Is it normal for a pre-contract agreement to be announced with a shirt-holding photo?  Or has that happened with the assumption that a permanent deal was about to be completed?  

I wonder if George was asked if he was happy for this announcement / photo release to happen once the immediate transfer fell through.  

Not ideal for a club captain to have that out in the public domain but it gives me some hope as he’s obviously said to Jones that he’s willing to stay and fight to keep us up.

It is not obvious at all - it is most likely Jones who said that he needed him for the rest of the season. We do not know what George wanted.
    My feeling would be that if his heart was set on leaving, Jones wouldn’t want him in the group. You’re right though, “obvious” perhaps the wrong term. 
  • Options
    Lads, hear me out, with the news of Dobson staying for the rest of the season who fancies meeting me in the west stand toilets for some UniCum?
    Slut
  • Options

bobmunro said:
    Lurker said:

It is not obvious at all - it is most likely Jones who said that he needed him for the rest of the season. We do not know what George wanted.

If George had thrown his toys out the pram and insisted he wanted to go, he would have gone. Regardless of contracts the reality is the player holds the cards in such a situation. They can refuse to play ala Parker, or play but make it blatantly obvious they're not putting in much effort until they get "injured" ala CBT.
  • Options
    I don't think we have heard the end of this. Assume the pre-contract will be a provisional agreement. 

Jones comes across as someone who gets what he wants. What price Dobson storms the final couple of months, gets a new deal, stays and Jones ousts Scott as "surplus to requirements". It's the sort of role where he could justify saying he wants his own man.

Jones has been here a week and has already undermined/got the better of Scott.
    Nail on the head there Sir.
  • Options
    I don't think we have heard the end of this. Assume the pre-contract will be a provisional agreement. 

Jones comes across as someone who gets what he wants. What price Dobson storms the final couple of months, gets a new deal, stays and Jones ousts Scott as "surplus to requirements". It's the sort of role where he could justify saying he wants his own man.

Jones has been here a week and has already undermined/got the better of Scott.
    Jones does get his own way but it’s really not hard to undermine a bloke who has sanctioned selling our captain and consistent player of the year contender when we’re in the midst of relegation to the fourth tier for the first time in the club’s history!!
    What a wally. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    bobmunro said:
    Valley11 said:
    So from Jones’ presser, Dobson can pull out of the deal and stay with us beyond this season? 

One can pull out of any deal - the cost (if any) of doing so will be in the small print.
    Always a good idea, withdrawal...🙄
  • Options
    Those quotes to me sound like another nail in the coffin for Andy Scott. He's basically all but said 'i overruled him'.
    Now, IF Andy is an honourable bloke and IF he wants to continue working in this "field" , might I respectfully suggest he considers falling on his sword before this issue escalates.

Too many questions at present & not enough clarity.

Surely, having our new manager in the firing line at his pre match interview ( which he handled superbly as we knew he would) won't cut the mustard . 

And sooner or later, Dobbo's position will need clarification....

Once again, I'd urge all the home fans there tomorrow night to be loud & proud in their support of our captain & leave him in NO doubt whatsoever that his place and his future is here, wearing the red shirt. 
    What is the song for Dobson? I can't recall hearing one, which has always struck me as odd.
  • Options
    Lads, hear me out, with the news of Dobson staying for the rest of the season who fancies meeting me in the west stand toilets for some UniCum?
    Okay then. But it's your turn in the barrel first
  • Options
    Nadou said:
    Those quotes to me sound like another nail in the coffin for Andy Scott. He's basically all but said 'i overruled him'.
    Now, IF Andy is an honourable bloke and IF he wants to continue working in this "field" , might I respectfully suggest he considers falling on his sword before this issue escalates.

Surely, having our new manager in the firing line at his pre match interview ( which he handled superbly as we knew he would) won't cut the mustard . 

Once again, I'd urge all the home fans there tomorrow night to be loud & proud in their support of our captain & leave him in NO doubt whatsoever that his place and his future is here, wearing the red shirt. 
    What is the song for Dobson? I can't recall hearing one, which has always struck me as odd.
    Really? There’s a couple that regularly get song - one about being better than Casemiro and (more recently) “x more years George Dobson…”
  • Options
    edited February 12
    Seen the club get some stick for not releasing any kind of statement regarding an agreement they're not part of.

Dobson is in the last six months of his contract and so is welcome to have conversations with clubs outside of the English system. The agreement in place is between him and Fehrevar. 

Had the club not pulled the plug and agreed a fee with Fehrevar for the immediate transfer, obviously a news post would've gone out. But it would odd if the club commented on the business of other parties IMO.

Plenty of sticks to beat the SMT with but the statement/no statement situation isn't one of them.
    Couldn’t agree less @Callumcafc, sorry to say to one of the smartest Lifers when it comes to the actual footie.

We are not talking about the private career of a senior executive. We are talking about the club captain of a team in freefall to the relegation zone, in the transfer window; who is seen by most fans as the one of only two players (Alfie being the other) who seems to give a toss about it. The club had previously let it be known that contract discussions were ongoing. Then we get the bizarre rumours of an offer from Hungary, followed by the dawning realisation that other countries have a different window calendar. Then the sudden announcement that he’s picked up a “niggle” and unavailable for crucial games. Then the deal in Hungary goes from being one in summer after his contract ends, to a perm now. Then we get two Lifers clearly connected to his family spilling beans about his current deal. And we have a new manager coming in who is immediately obliged to go along with the “injury” charade, thus undoing the positives of his own appointment and what had seemed like a decent window. 

You cannot pretend it is purely a private issue like say the CEO of Tesco talking about jumping ship to Aldi. This is a football club and fans are stakeholders. The idea that in 2024 the club can just sniff and say “nothing to see here, move along, and btw bring a friend to Lincoln”  is absolutely untenable.
     But what is the club meant to say? Clearly everything being leaked is being leaked from Dobbo, and maybe Hungary on occasion. If the club doesn't have an agreement in place with Fehrevar, and if he's not leaving, then they didn't have a formal agreement in place, then I don't know what they can say other than "Dobson is a Charlton player." And Jones kind of said that in a roundabout way by saying he'd be assessed today. 

And if you do put out a statement to that effect, what do you gain? For supporters who are not avidly on CL and Twitter, they will probably be asking why the club has put out a statement that the club captain is still a club player, and that further in flames the situation. And if the club is under the impression that Dobbo wanted to go, and given all the noise around it they'd have every right to believe that unless explicitly told otherwise, then saying "he's a Charlton player" the day before he leaves the club is a huge own goal. 

I obviously cannot comment on how things were handled with Dobbo behind the scenes. But it doesn't seem to me like the club has leaked anything here, at least not recently, and they have offered him a deal to stay so it seems they want him to stay, it just may not be under the terms he desires. 

It's certainly very possible that Jones has convinced Dobbo to stay. But I think it's also very possible that Dobbo's camp/agent kept ramping up the stakes in a hope for a last minute improved offer from Charlton that didn't happen. That included trying to carry out negotiations and emotional pleas through the press and fans. And fair play, it's a good way to carry out negotiations for a player massively popular amongst the fanbase. 

And in the end that turned out to be a bluff.
  • Options
    Definitely sounds from these quotes like Jones has overridden Scott to me  Good news:

I could just as easily read this as "the club called Dobbo's bluff." I think a lot of people are reading into this what they want to read into this. And that may be right, but I don't think, based on what we know, it's any more likely than any other possibility. 
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    Lurker said:

I would have imagined Jones would have had a conversation with Dobbo to see whether he was up for it or not. Otherwise no point in scuppering the move if Dobbo said he couldn’t be arsed with giving his all.
  • Options
    Assuming he plays tomorrow night, what are the chances of him being sent off as he’ll be trying too hard? 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Goofy has two phalluses - not a lot of people know that.
  • Options
    Nadou said:

" We love you, Dobbo, we do,

We love you, Dobbo, we do,

We love you, Dobbo, we do.

Oh, Dobbo, we love you !"

:) 
  • Options
    DRAddick said:

bobmunro said:
    Lurker said:

If George had thrown his toys out the pram and insisted he wanted to go, he would have gone. Regardless of contracts the reality is the player holds the cards in such a situation. They can refuse to play ala Parker, or play but make it blatantly obvious they're not putting in much effort until they get "injured" ala CBT.
    Have you seen our team play? They can’t all be doing a CBT.
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    Nadou said:

Really? There’s a couple that regularly get song - one about being better than Casemiro and (more recently) “x more years George Dobson…”
    Thanks. Either I'm getting deaf (totally possible) or they aren't sung loudly or clearly enough for me to hear them. I hope I can hear them tomorrow. If not I'll just have to be a one man band singing, There's only one George Dobson.
  • Options
    Nadou said:

" We love you, Dobbo, we do,

We love you, Dobbo, we do,

We love you, Dobbo, we do.

Oh, Dobbo, we love you !"

:) 
    Oh thanks, Fanny - I can totally go with that one. Sung from my heart!
  • Options
    I would imagine that George himself had a very big say in this decision, as they'd be no point in this if he wasn't up for it.
  • Options
    Wasn’t just me that heard Jones hinting that there was a chance Dobson could still stay beyond this season was it?
  • Options
    Well done, Nathan Jones!