Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

George Dobson - Hungarians say transfer on hold til the summer (p61)

Comments

• Options
    Rob7Lee said:
    Well, it seems like someone at the club who actually understands football, has realised how important Dobson could be in a relegation fight and has stood their ground. Thank Christ. 

Some of the comments not understanding the move to Hungary are quite amusing for me. 

Videoton/Fehervar have been competing in Europe and getting results/competing in recent years against the likes of: Chelsea, Ludogrets, Malmo, AEK Athens, Partizan, PAOK, Bordeaux, Reims, Köln. Do you genuinely not understand how bad the likes of those clubs would smash us to fkn pieces on the pitch 😂 Play league 1 footie surrounded by players who look like they've won a competition and don't put in half the effort you do, or, join a team that competes to win their league and is willing to pay you a very fair wage in a nice country. What a decision.

Suspect it's the people with the same view that Rangers wasn't a big move at the time for Aribo. It's a brilliant move for Dobson at this stage of his career. 

When it's all said and done, he will be able to say he played European football for one of the best teams in a different country, OR he could say, he scraped by, year after year for a club that's been mismanaged by absolute crooks in League 1. 

In an ideal world, he would have stayed, and he would have been one of the main people in charge of a promotion challenging team. Unfortunately, getting a senior role at Charlton is the easiest job application in the world apparently, and his situation has been completely mismanaged. 

Good luck to Dobson. I hope he can help keep us in this poxy league for another year, and we can wipe the stains from the club that currently have far too much say, next season. 👍🏻

For me it’s nothing to do with the perceived quality of league etc. I understand that a footballers career is very finite, and ultimately they need to try and make as much money, and play at the highest level they can, during the period they play. 

If he was a single bloke, then maybe, but I just don’t understand why with a very young family, you would make such a move unless it was for an absolutely life changing wage - which I just don’t think it will be.

With 6 months left on his contract it just tells me that they know they won’t get an offer better than what Charlton offered from another English team. 

Don't know what he earns here, but it's more than possible for him to be getting towards £1m with bonuses etc at the new club plus a decent signing on fee, Hungary has very low tax rates as well (flat 15% on income), so likely he'd need to earn at least 50% more in the UK to net the same. 

Plus many people see working abroad for a period as an adventure and an opportunity.

I can’t speak for other people or George Dobson, but I don’t think in life when you have a baby, that you are looking for adventure at that point. 

Just doing some research and the average salary seems to be about £8,500 a month. However Ferenacvos will pay significantly better and you have to expect George will be one of the higher earners in that team as well. 

However there needs to be a massive increase to the average to make it anywhere near a million a year. 
    That's all well and good, but he hasn't signed for Ferencvaros.
    Oh, wow, not sure why I thought it was Ferencvaros.

I’ve actually been to Székesfehérvár/Fehérvár
    where Dobson will be based, on my way to Lake Balaton one year.

All I can really remember of that time is an awful tasting drink called ‘Unicum’. 
    Why did you taste it the clue was in the name.  :#
    Both male & female then ?  Sounds like what you find in a pint glass down The Miller's after a lock-in. 
    This contains 40% alkohol.  So the pint is too much.
  • Options
    Now this might just be a coincidence or me adding 2and 2 and making 5

Dobbo came to us from Sunderland where they didn't have a high opinion of our Dobbo, also Methven was involved at Sunderland ..... just saying
    Let’s get the facts right CM left Sunderland in 2019 Dobson joined Sunderland 2019 and left 2021 … 
    My facts were right, I never said that they were at S'land together , but maybe Methven asked his S'land mates of their opinion on Dobbo, by your post it does make me wonder if my 5 might be correct.
  • Options
    edited February 12
    Rob7Lee said:
    Well, it seems like someone at the club who actually understands football, has realised how important Dobson could be in a relegation fight and has stood their ground. Thank Christ. 

Some of the comments not understanding the move to Hungary are quite amusing for me. 

Videoton/Fehervar have been competing in Europe and getting results/competing in recent years against the likes of: Chelsea, Ludogrets, Malmo, AEK Athens, Partizan, PAOK, Bordeaux, Reims, Köln. Do you genuinely not understand how bad the likes of those clubs would smash us to fkn pieces on the pitch 😂 Play league 1 footie surrounded by players who look like they've won a competition and don't put in half the effort you do, or, join a team that competes to win their league and is willing to pay you a very fair wage in a nice country. What a decision.

Suspect it's the people with the same view that Rangers wasn't a big move at the time for Aribo. It's a brilliant move for Dobson at this stage of his career. 

When it's all said and done, he will be able to say he played European football for one of the best teams in a different country, OR he could say, he scraped by, year after year for a club that's been mismanaged by absolute crooks in League 1. 

In an ideal world, he would have stayed, and he would have been one of the main people in charge of a promotion challenging team. Unfortunately, getting a senior role at Charlton is the easiest job application in the world apparently, and his situation has been completely mismanaged. 

Good luck to Dobson. I hope he can help keep us in this poxy league for another year, and we can wipe the stains from the club that currently have far too much say, next season. 👍🏻

For me it’s nothing to do with the perceived quality of league etc. I understand that a footballers career is very finite, and ultimately they need to try and make as much money, and play at the highest level they can, during the period they play. 

If he was a single bloke, then maybe, but I just don’t understand why with a very young family, you would make such a move unless it was for an absolutely life changing wage - which I just don’t think it will be.

With 6 months left on his contract it just tells me that they know they won’t get an offer better than what Charlton offered from another English team. 

Don't know what he earns here, but it's more than possible for him to be getting towards £1m with bonuses etc at the new club plus a decent signing on fee, Hungary has very low tax rates as well (flat 15% on income), so likely he'd need to earn at least 50% more in the UK to net the same. 

Plus many people see working abroad for a period as an adventure and an opportunity.

I can’t speak for other people or George Dobson, but I don’t think in life when you have a baby, that you are looking for adventure at that point. 

Just doing some research and the average salary seems to be about £8,500 a month. However Ferenacvos will pay significantly better and you have to expect George will be one of the higher earners in that team as well. 

However there needs to be a massive increase to the average to make it anywhere near a million a year. 

All I can really remember of that time is an awful tasting drink called ‘Unicum’. 
    Why did you taste it the clue was in the name.  :#
    Both male & female then ?  Sounds like what you find in a pint glass down The Miller's after a lock-in. 
    This contains 40% alkohol.  So the pint is too much.

Lightweight!
  • Options
    Gribbo said:
    Rob7Lee said:

A very popular drink among mainly female students while at Uni.....🍸 
    The texture of the drink is "thick, black, goopy" and so bitter that it is often described as an acquired taste. The drink's name originates from the words of Holy Roman Emperor Joseph II, who in 1790, when being given the drink, said (in German) "Das ist ein Unikum!" ("This is unique!")
    ...plus to the English ear it sounds like it's made of spunk.
  • Options

Dobbo came to us from Sunderland where they didn't have a high opinion of our Dobbo, also Methven was involved at Sunderland ..... just saying
    Let’s get the facts right CM left Sunderland in 2019 Dobson joined Sunderland 2019 and left 2021 … 
    My facts were right, I never said that they were at S'land together , but maybe Methven asked his S'land mates of their opinion on Dobbo, by your post it does make me wonder if my 5 might be correct.
    They were at Sunderland together for a few months. Dobson joined in the summer of 2019 but Methven didn't step down from the Sunderland board until December 2019, and even then he still remained a shareholder.
  • Options
    Definitely sounds from these quotes like Jones has overridden Scott to me  Good news:

seems so
  • Options

Blimey Ronnie, you and facts make strange bedfellows. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Talal said:
    Interesting line... 
    “Is there an option for him to stay longer? Probably, if he chooses not to that’s fine…no problem."

Confusing if he has signed a pre contract. 
  • Options
    Talal said:
    Interesting line... 
    “Is there an option for him to stay longer? Probably, if he chooses not to that’s fine…no problem."
    10 more years, 10 more years George Dobson! 
  • Options
    @Braziliance

obviously I don’t know how you are fixed for time and money, but you can get cheap flights and decent accomm in Budapest between now and a bit before Easter. Yes, go
    and take in an NB1 game but not a big derby involving Ferencvaros. Maybe Ujpest against a club from outside the capital. And vlog that. Based on my 30 years of trying and failing to love the Czech league, I think you will find it an eye-opener.
    Cheers Prague, 

Why not a big game out of interest? 

My plans atm are a Celtic game (my mate at work is a season ticket holder), the Eternal Derby in Bucharest (my best mate lives in Bucharest and finally a Galatasary game (again two Turkish mates, one of which supports Gala).

Definitely quite keen to travel and do some vlogs along the way. 
  • Options
    @Braziliance

obviously I don’t know how you are fixed for time and money, but you can get cheap flights and decent accomm in Budapest between now and a bit before Easter. Yes, go
    and take in an NB1 game but not a big derby involving Ferencvaros. Maybe Ujpest against a club from outside the capital. And vlog that. Based on my 30 years of trying and failing to love the Czech league, I think you will find it an eye-opener.
    Cheers Prague, 

My plans atm are a Celtic game (my mate at work is a season ticket holder), the Eternal Derby in Bucharest (my best mate lives in Bucharest and finally a Galatasary game (again two Turkish mates, one of which supports Gala).

Could you do it in a Danny dyer style please pwoper naughty 
  • Options
    Would be a major clusterf*** if we ended up paying the Hungarian club to keep him on
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Rumour Gribbo's been banned
    Gribbo only reports 'rumours'
    Certainly no first person experience
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    So from Jones’ presser, Dobson can pull out of the deal and stay with us beyond this season? 
  • Options
    Valley11 said:
    So from Jones’ presser, Dobson can pull out of the deal and stay with us beyond this season? 

One can pull out of any deal - the cost (if any) of doing so will be in the small print.
  • Options
    edited February 12
    Seen the club get some stick for not releasing any kind of statement regarding an agreement they're not part of.

Dobson is in the last six months of his contract and so is welcome to have conversations with clubs outside of the English system. The agreement in place is between him and Fehrevar. 

Had the club not pulled the plug and agreed a fee with Fehrevar for the immediate transfer, obviously a news post would've gone out. But it would odd if the club commented on the business of other parties IMO.

Plenty of sticks to beat the SMT with but the statement/no statement situation isn't one of them.
    Couldn’t agree less @Callumcafc, sorry to say to one of the smartest Lifers when it comes to the actual footie.

We are not talking about the private career of a senior executive. We are talking about the club captain of a team in freefall to the relegation zone, in the transfer window; who is seen by most fans as the one of only two players (Alfie being the other) who seems to give a toss about it. The club had previously let it be known that contract discussions were ongoing. Then we get the bizarre rumours of an offer from Hungary, followed by the dawning realisation that other countries have a different window calendar. Then the sudden announcement that he’s picked up a “niggle” and unavailable for crucial games. Then the deal in Hungary goes from being one in summer after his contract ends, to a perm now. Then we get two Lifers clearly connected to his family spilling beans about his current deal. And we have a new manager coming in who is immediately obliged to go along with the “injury” charade, thus undoing the positives of his own appointment and what had seemed like a decent window. 

You cannot pretend it is purely a private issue like say the CEO of Tesco talking about jumping ship to Aldi. This is a football club and fans are stakeholders. The idea that in 2024 the club can just sniff and say “nothing to see here, move along, and btw bring a friend to Lincoln”  is absolutely untenable.
    Would be an easy statement. 

"Andy Scott who knows everything about great players thought he was rubbish so we lowballed him. 
    Heard fans weren't happy so we made him a better offer but still told him he was rubbish. 
    We understand that a club from Hungary has gone out of their way to make him feel valued and wanted at their club, including a hefty pay rise and we were going to trouser a few quid so we booked him a flight to Hungary. 
    Someone with some common sense has turned up at the club and undermined our fantastic plan. 
    George the SMT  expect nothing but 100% loyalty from you until the end of the season , when we will pay for your cab to the airport "

Andy Scott and the SMT 

• Options
    Fiorini must be in tears. Poor chap.
  • Options
    I don't think we have heard the end of this. Assume the pre-contract will be a provisional agreement. 

Jones comes across as someone who gets what he wants. What price Dobson storms the final couple of months, gets a new deal, stays and Jones ousts Scott as "surplus to requirements". It's the sort of role where he could justify saying he wants his own man.

Jones has been here a week and has already undermined/got the better of Scott.
    Hope you are right Clem. It gives me hope that, on the face of it, Nathan Jones is strong minded and strong enough to face down Andy Scott. It certainly hasn't helped Scott's case considering the position in which we find ourselves, which is certainly of Scott's own making. 
  • Options
    @Braziliance

Cheers Prague, 

Well because I wanted you to see the standard and atmosphere of a typical HU game. I have never seen one, mind, but I am very confident that its much like a similar Czech game. I’ve had some fantastic Euro nights in Plzen watching Viktoria beating Napoli or Dinamo Zagreb and a few tasty ones when they play Sparta or Slavia. But when you go along to a typical league game, fuck me it is dire. The atmosphere, ( lack of) the old stadia, and on the pitch the schoolboy defending and often couldn’t give a fuck attitude .. well, you will miss the Valley and you will understand why this guy, an equally fervent supporter of Budapest Honved and Luton Town (when Nathan was in charge) tweeted this about the Dobbo move

https://x.com/djgabyg/status/1756572218937504162?s=61&t=oKpEK5xuwukoPQ-YsizesQ

And the thing is yes, Dobbo might get to play in Europe, but 90% of the time he’’ll be playing in front of 3,000 with players whose body language makes Scott Fraser look like Billy Bremner. (And those players will look 200% better if they play in a Europa League game the following Wednesday) . 

If you have that experience you’ll understand why some of us have good reason (and not just ignorance or insularity) to wonder whether its a good career move for Dobbo, regardless of the money.
  • Options

Is it normal for a pre-contract agreement to be announced with a shirt-holding photo?  Or has that happened with the assumption that a permanent deal was about to be completed?  

I wonder if George was asked if he was happy for this announcement / photo release to happen once the immediate transfer fell through.  

Not ideal for a club captain to have that out in the public domain but it gives me some hope as he’s obviously said to Jones that he’s willing to stay and fight to keep us up.

• Options
    Billy_Mix said:
    Leuth said:
    Rumour Gribbo's been banned
    Gribbo only reports 'rumours'
    Certainly no first person experience
    Coz I've always made out I'm genuinely itk ain't I lol 🙄