Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Mason Burstow - progress at Chelsea (p47)

Comments

• Options
    se9addick said:
    1.6m in this day and age for a young talented forward is a joke. 

Rationalising the fee because of performances now removes the whole point of why Chelsea bought him. They bought him for the potential, not what hes offering now. 

If it's true that there were multiple clubs circling around Burstow, why did we sell him the first chance we got? 

Waiting until summer boosts his goal tally. Makes other clubs take notice and starts a bidding war for the whole of summer. 
    It was a joke last night we've had em right over
    Hopefully we base our transfer valuations on slightly more evidence than “last night”. 

Getting £1.6M from the European champions for a promising young striker is very poor business, that doesn’t change because he was part of a bad team performance last night. 

It's not getting £1.6m though is it? It's £1.6m plus add ons depending on how well he does. And if Burstow were to be valued on what he's achieved to date then (two goals in League 1) then he wouldn't be worth anything like that. Your argument is all based on "what if" scenarios -  "What if" he scored 

Yes. It's 1.6mil until the add ons kick in. Do you know what they are?
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    se9addick said:
    1.6m in this day and age for a young talented forward is a joke. 

Rationalising the fee because of performances now removes the whole point of why Chelsea bought him. They bought him for the potential, not what hes offering now. 

If it's true that there were multiple clubs circling around Burstow, why did we sell him the first chance we got? 

Waiting until summer boosts his goal tally. Makes other clubs take notice and starts a bidding war for the whole of summer. 
    It was a joke last night we've had em right over
    Hopefully we base our transfer valuations on slightly more evidence than “last night”. 

Getting £1.6M from the European champions for a promising young striker is very poor business, that doesn’t change because he was part of a bad team performance last night. 

It's not getting £1.6m though is it? It's £1.6m plus add ons depending on how well he does. And if Burstow were to be valued on what he's achieved to date then (two goals in League 1) then he wouldn't be worth anything like that. Your argument is all based on "what if" scenarios -  "What if" he scored 

Yes. It's 1.6mil until the add ons kick in. Do you know what they are?
    I don't but I believe that they were "standard". By that I took it to mean PL debut, reaching a certain number of appearances, making England debut etc etc. I would also assume that one of the add ons would be a sell on clause in the region of 20%. Burstow won't be worth appreciably more until such time as he is proven. That would be the same had he stayed with us. Difference is that we have some money now.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    The other way of looking at it is if we had signed him 2 weeks ago from Forest Green on the back of 2 goals for 1.6 million who would you say had who's pants down?

"We" only feel done over because it's a drop in the ocean for Chelsea.  If we had sold him to Burnley people wouldn't feel so hard done by. 
    Depends on why you feel “hard done by”. I only feel annoyed because TS said we wouldn’t have to sell our best youngsters and that we would only sell Burstow for a substantial amount. It has the feeling that we were pretty quick to accept the first offer. 

Roland got a ton of abuse for selling Grant for a similar fee. A player who was out of contract in 6 months time. 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    The other way of looking at it is if we had signed him 2 weeks ago from Forest Green on the back of 2 goals for 1.6 million who would you say had who's pants down?

"We" only feel done over because it's a drop in the ocean for Chelsea.  If we had sold him to Burnley people wouldn't feel so hard done by. 
    Depends on why you feel “hard done by”. I only feel annoyed because TS said we wouldn’t have to sell our best youngsters and that we would only sell Burstow for a substantial amount. It has the feeling that we were pretty quick to accept the first offer. 

Roland got a ton of abuse for selling Grant for a similar fee. A player who was out of contract in 6 months time. 
    Grant had played more, was scoring regularly and looked like he was achieving his potential, there's a difference right there
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:

But Grant had scored 24 goals in his previous 47 games for us and Crawley. If we waited another year to sell Burstow we would be in the same position if he hadn't signed another contract in the interim as Grant refused to. And Burstow might not have been as prolific as Grant either.

The other aspect about all of this is this. Certain coaches at Charlton have suggested that he is a very good prospect. And that is what he is. No one can honestly say that he is a certainty to even start for us when everyone is fit. Yet, based on his transfer fee, he's worth five times Aneke and three times Stockley given what we paid for them and they are very much proven at this level.
  • Options
    Rothko said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

Grant had played more, was scoring regularly and looked like he was achieving his potential, there's a difference right there
    On that basis Ben Watson should go for about 20mil? 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:

But Grant had scored 24 goals in his previous 47 games for us and Crawley. If we waited another year to sell Burstow we would be in the same position if he hadn't signed another contract in the interim as Grant refused to. And Burstow might not have been as prolific as Grant either.

The other aspect about all of this is this. Certain coaches at Charlton have suggested that he is a very good prospect. And that is what he is. No one can honestly say that he is a certainty to even start for us when everyone is fit. Yet, based on his transfer fee, he's worth five times Aneke and three times Stockley given what we paid for them and they are very much proven at this level.
    And how many before that? Burstow is scoring goals at 18, Grant wasn't. I accept Grant has different attributes and was stuck on the wing at times too. 

I stand by the point I was making. If Roland had authorised this sale he would be getting a lot more criticism than Sandgaard. To be honest, it's all irrelevant now, it's happened, the season is over either way and hopefully we get a few quid to have a real go next season. 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:

And how many before that? Burstow is scoring goals at 18, Grant wasn't. I accept Grant has different attributes and was stuck on the wing at times too. 

I stand by the point I was making. If Roland had authorised this sale he would be getting a lot more criticism than Sandgaard. To be honest, it's all irrelevant now, it's happened, the season is over either way and hopefully we get a few quid to have a real go next season. 
    The real issue with Grant wasn't the fee.  There was probably only a window of a month or so where we could have offered KAG a contract he would have signed. 

We sold him right at the end of the window and didn't sign a suitable replacement.  It could have seriously damaged our chances of promotion.  None of the money went back into the squad.  (Well it went some way to off setting the £10 million loss, but oh well).

Selling Burstow hasn't weakened us, certainly hasn't changed what divison we will be in next season.  If it paid for Aneke and Fraser, well that's life. 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

The real issue with Grant wasn't the fee.  There was probably only a window of a month or so where we could have offered KAG a contract he would have signed. 

We sold him right at the end of the window and didn't sign a suitable replacement.  It could have seriously damaged our chances of promotion.  None of the money went back into the squad.  (Well it went some way to off setting the £10 million loss, but oh well).

Selling Burstow hasn't weakened us, certainly hasn't changed what divison we will be in next season.  If it paid for Aneke and Fraser, well that's life. 
    I agree, but many others didn’t and Roland was crucified for it. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Rothko said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

On that basis Ben Watson should go for about 20mil? 
    Can we crowd fund this to make it happen?
  • Options
    Do we know for certain it’s £1.6m plus add ons rather than including them?
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    "Voice of The Valley has now been told that #cafc will receive £1.6m from Chelsea for Mason Burstow plus standard contingent add-ons and sell-on.”
  • Options
    I wasn't surprised by the reaction to Mason Burstow the other night as the good judges on here predicted that Conor and Mason would struggle as the ball wouldn't stick up front. There's a reason we need Aneke or Stockley as the number 9, as was demonstrated by Chuks 30 odd minutes at Bolton.
    I'm still gutted the transfer took place, as the kid I saw score against Birmingham last season on You tube in youth football was excellent and his being in the right place in the area to score goals for Cafc in League 1.
    Needs to spent time in the Gym as not strong enough for men's football. 

Will he be a Premier player, let alone a Chelsea 1st team ?  Just my opinion but no chance for Chelsea  unless they get relegated ( I could die happy !) and so early in his senior career to tell what standard he will reach but Chelsea decided to take a punt for their football farm and business of having 50 odd players out on loan for several years.

• Options
    I think it’s a good deal for all parties 

Mason gets his dream move to the Champions League Champs 

Chelsea get a kid with potential - and have the deep pockets to afford to take a punt. 

And we get 1.6 mill plus addons which is probably the biggest League 1 transfer during the January transfer window by some way - I do stand to be corrected on the one if I have missed another.

Another point may be that had Brexit not happened Chelsea would still be trying to hoover up all of the 15-18 year old kids in Europe and would have passed on Mason. 
  • Options
    Kap10 said:
    "Manchester City have joined West Ham and Brentford in showing an interest in Sheffield Wednesday's 16-year-old English forward Bailey Cadamarteri"

What a shock, another young striker ready to be poached by a PL club. Yes that is old Everton striker Danny's son.
    When small/new PL clubs like Brighton and Brentford are building models on player farming you know you have a growing problem on your hands.  Football really is eating itself.

Brentford who closed their academy to save money now trying to make other teams academies unviable by mopping up 16 year olds.  Brighton who relied on the help of other small teams to even exist are doing the same. 

When 60-70 non PL clubs decide to pack up their academies over the next 5-10 years it will be interesting to see what a great success EPPP has been for the long term future of the game.
    Out of interest, do other fans dislike Brentford for this?
    Although I normally want newly promoted clubs to stay up, perhaps I should want them to fail, so that others don't follow their model.
    No one cares about Brentford.
    Who?
    I heard some team has a ground bigger than my shed now. Not been yet to see for myself 
  • Options
    20/21: Hull (2nd in goals scored), Peterborough (1st in goals scored), Blackpool (14th in goals scored)

19/20: Coventry (8th in goals scored), Rotherham (T-2nd in goals scored), Wycombe (12th in goals scored)

18/19: Luton (1st in goals scored), Barnsley (T-3rd in goals scored), Charlton (6th in goals scored)

6th, 12th and 14th best in goals scored was good enough in each of the last three seasons so I'd reassess that 9/10 assumption as well...
    The point @jimmymelrose was making I feel is that 3rd to 6th just gives you a play off spot which is a lottery. 1st & 2nd gives you automatic promotion. And your examples prove that being in the top 2 goalscorers gives you automatic promotion 4 times out of 6......and in one other case 3rd best goalscorers gave you automatic promotion.

QED.

• Options

The lad has got a natural ability to finish and that is priceless. I for one would be absolutely delighted if we could get him back on loan again next year. 
    Not seen it so far. 2 headed goals in the league. And the league is where it counts, not Papa John's trophy against lower league opposition or premership u21's 

So far Purrington is our 3rd best goalscorer in the league, and I reckon Burstow will be hard pushed to get much more.
  • Options
    "Manchester City have joined West Ham and Brentford in showing an interest in Sheffield Wednesday's 16-year-old English forward Bailey Cadamarteri"

What a shock, another young striker ready to be poached by a PL club. Yes that is old Everton striker Danny's son.
    When small/new PL clubs like Brighton and Brentford are building models on player farming you know you have a growing problem on your hands.  Football really is eating itself.

Brentford who closed their academy to save money now trying to make other teams academies unviable by mopping up 16 year olds.  Brighton who relied on the help of other small teams to even exist are doing the same. 

When 60-70 non PL clubs decide to pack up their academies over the next 5-10 years it will be interesting to see what a great success EPPP has been for the long term future of the game.
    Although I normally want newly promoted clubs to stay up, perhaps I should want them to fail, so that others don't follow their model.
    They have a pretty small supporter base. But. 
    Problem is, each season they spend in the Premier League that base will grow. Every time they’re on MOTD they’ll probably pick up a few fans, and pique the interest of a few kids. Their matches will get coverage on BBC 5 Live. They feature on the back pages of newspapers, (where we are rarely even mentioned). They appear in the football magazines, and get talked about in football podcasts and on the web, in Premier League forums etc. 
    They’ll have eye catching runs in the FA Cup, and will stumble upon some seriously talented young players who will draw in more fans. 
    It’s bloody depressing even thinking about it. 
  • Options
    From what I've seen Mason has been a bit of a late developer. When I used to watch him at Cray Wanderers/Junior Reds there were a couple of lads that were stronger, faster and more explosive than him. Tyrese Omotoye (Norwich but on loan at Carlisle) and David Omalubu (Crystal Palace U23) but now I would say that Mason is marginally ahead of them both. I can get why Chelsea would take a speculative punt on him for sure. 
    Will never forget your mate Amis telling Tyrese he would be better staying with him at JR and helping win the Selkent League than going to a professional football club.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    JamesSeed said:

They have a pretty small supporter base. But. 
    Problem is, each season they spend in the Premier League that base will grow. Every time they’re on MOTD they’ll probably pick up a few fans, and pique the interest of a few kids. Their matches will get coverage on BBC 5 Live. They feature on the back pages of newspapers, (where we are rarely even mentioned). They appear in the football magazines, and get talked about in football podcasts and on the web, in Premier League forums etc. 
    They’ll have eye catching runs in the FA Cup, and will stumble upon some seriously talented young players who will draw in more fans. 
    It’s bloody depressing even thinking about it. 
    There was an American guy at The Valley last week, overhead him speaking to a guy he was with and he was like "Oh yeah so I got into Football like last season and the start of this season, and since I was over here for a couple of weeks I wanted to check out a live match, my team is Brentford but I couldn't get to their game so I looked at over games happening in the London area and came here"

I was thinking to myself how on earth is your team Brentford?! But I guess if they just follow the Premier League and Brentford are the plucky newcomers, that appeals to people
  • Options
    I don’t support the owner, I support Charlton, and I’d say he’s done some good things and some daft ones.I’m currently pretty sceptical he will get us out of this division in the next two years, but things can change. So can opinions.
    This paragraph is the key bit that I don't really get and I am honestly not having a go at your perspective which is very reasonable and certainly far more informed than me, but I really do not understand what is meant by this: how is it in the owner's gift to get us out of this division?
    I see a lot of people posting similar analysis and I just do not understand what is meant in practical terms.
    In theory, he could spend significantly more than anyone else in the division, which would not guarantee promotion but would certainly improve the odds, so is that what you mean? I do think he will continue to spend at a rate around the top club in the division, which should give us a chance.
    He has stabilised the club so that I don't get the feeling that the players are worried about being paid week on week, and the two managers he has appointed will either work or not, but they don't seem to totally unreasonable choices.
    So I feel I must be missing something obvious. What more is reasonably in his gift to do?
    Not “in his gift” perhaps but if the club is well run and makes sensible decisions in transfer windows that will go a long way to getting us out of the division, as it has four times before. No disrespect to the smaller clubs, but how on earth are we in the bottom half of this table with our resources relative to, for example, Accrington Stanley? Only because bad decisions have been made, and recruitment is at the heart of it. It’s not just about how much you spend but how well you spend it. Duchatelet spent/wasted lots of money but he employed idiots to oversee it.

TS is far more hands on with the football side than any previous Charlton owner, including inserting his own son into the structure. I doubt that is a good thing but we’ll see.

Even Michael Gliksten got Charlton out of this division (twice) and like it or not the managers who did it were his appointments.

With Michael Gliksten the managers alternated on  a monthly  basis it seemed. I also remember Michael Gliksten seriously considered moving CAFC to Milton Keynes in the 60's. 
    That was just Rodney Stone trying to lever the council, over a market if I recall. Nothing of substance.
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Yes, although the add-ons will be contingent and if they are based on Chelsea/England appearances etc they may not amount to anything.
  • Options
    edited February 2022

Looks like Mason has been on the end of some abuse at Wigan today. No need for it.
  • Options
    edited February 2022

Looks like Mason has been on the end of some abuse at Wigan today. No need for it.
    He played shit, and a few were vocal about it. 

Don't agree with the boos when he got subbed off though.
  • Options
    Not disputing how he played as I didn't watch the game. He has been poor for the last couple of games.

Just don't get people getting on his back because he got a big move.
    I don’t agree with it, but I get it
  • Options
    20/21: Hull (2nd in goals scored), Peterborough (1st in goals scored), Blackpool (14th in goals scored)

19/20: Coventry (8th in goals scored), Rotherham (T-2nd in goals scored), Wycombe (12th in goals scored)

18/19: Luton (1st in goals scored), Barnsley (T-3rd in goals scored), Charlton (6th in goals scored)

6th, 12th and 14th best in goals scored was good enough in each of the last three seasons so I'd reassess that 9/10 assumption as well...
    The point @jimmymelrose was making I feel is that 3rd to 6th just gives you a play off spot which is a lottery. 1st & 2nd gives you automatic promotion. And your examples prove that being in the top 2 goalscorers gives you automatic promotion 4 times out of 6......and in one other case 3rd best goalscorers gave you automatic promotion.

QED.

Now do the same with goals conceded and see which is more important to a promotion winning team!