Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Mason Burstow - progress at Chelsea (p47)

Comments

• Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Can Charlton still play Burstow ? He’s a Chelsea asset effectively so owned by Ambramovich ultimately. Usually the club borrowing a player pays something towards the wages so if that’s true Charlton are effectively paying Chelsea aren’t they ?
    Depends I guess if you pay the loan fee and wage contribution up front or in arrears. 

I think Abramovich would be blocked from taking money out of Chelsea via the sanctions, but Chelsea can still operate. 
    They can’t sell match tickets, sign players, renew contracts from what I’ve seen 
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Can Charlton still play Burstow ? He’s a Chelsea asset effectively so owned by Ambramovich ultimately. Usually the club borrowing a player pays something towards the wages so if that’s true Charlton are effectively paying Chelsea aren’t they ?
    Depends I guess if you pay the loan fee and wage contribution up front or in arrears. 

I think Abramovich would be blocked from taking money out of Chelsea via the sanctions, but Chelsea can still operate. 
    They can’t sell match tickets, sign players, renew contracts from what I’ve seen 
    That'd explain why they show as Sold Out for most fixtures and the Club Chelsea packages don't load. I'd assume Chelsea have a foreign (Russian) bank account if this is the case. 
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Dazzler21 said:

That'd explain why they show as Sold Out for most fixtures and the Club Chelsea packages don't load. I'd assume Chelsea have a foreign (Russian) bank account if this is the case. 
    a) why would you assume that and b) I very much doubt it.
  • Options
    cafcwill said:
    I've a feeling - based on absolutely and utterly nothing - that Burstow might be back here on loan next season.

Clearly at the moment he doesn't look ready for Championship football, let alone anything higher. So if it's a loan to a league 1 club, why not us? Chelsea know we will look after him properly and we can probably offer them a guaranteed place for Burstow in our starting 18. 

If it was on offer, presumably we would accept? A front 4 of Stockley, Washington (if he resigns), Aneke (for the 4 games he will be fit for) and Burstow is not bad at this level.

After the recent Developments at Chelsea today i don' think that is currently possible
    After the recent developments at Chelski he may end up being their first choice striker.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Dazzler21 said:

This. It doesn’t matter who they bank with and having an account with one of the high street banks would be more practical anyway 
  • Options
    If you think Burstow is the answer then I'd hate to see the question.

As for him being back here next season. I hope not as it would mean another season in this League for 2023/24 as he wouldn't score enough to help promotion. 

• Options
    If you think Burstow is the answer then I'd hate to see the question.

As for him being back here next season. I hope not as it would mean another season in this League for 2023/24 as he wouldn't score enough to help promotion. 

Unless he gets better, obvs.
  • Options
    Burstow may well have turned out to be a flash in the pan. Still doesn't mean the £1.6m is anything other than a derisory sum for a young English striker that has attention from a top club. 

Rewriting of history is always done in hindsight. £1.6m was a poor bit of business that disappeared once February's wages hit. 
  • Options
    cafcwill said:
    I've a feeling - based on absolutely and utterly nothing - that Burstow might be back here on loan next season.

Clearly at the moment he doesn't look ready for Championship football, let alone anything higher. So if it's a loan to a league 1 club, why not us? Chelsea know we will look after him properly and we can probably offer them a guaranteed place for Burstow in our starting 18. 

If it was on offer, presumably we would accept? A front 4 of Stockley, Washington (if he resigns), Aneke (for the 4 games he will be fit for) and Burstow is not bad at this level.

After the recent Developments at Chelsea today i don' think that is currently possible
    After the recent developments at Chelski he may end up being their first choice striker.
    That would be karma at its very, very best.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Dazzler21 said:

I'd assumed that the Sanctions would be able to block a UK account from releasing money to a Russian and that a Russian bank would have less issues in the face of a sanction. 

Thinking more about it, I guess the club would have no way to pay a Russian account at the moment anyway?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited March 2022
    Perhaps Premier League scouts and clubs have more intelligence and would realise that with our striking options severely limited, Burstow has been forced out of his comfort zone to play almost as a lone striker rather than impact sub that he had been before. 

Chelsea have not bought Burstow for his current goal tally, they have bought him for his potential which a lot of scouts knew about before Burstow even signed for us. 

Talk about Ivan Toney who was purchased after the Coronavirus pandemic, which led to a fire sale at Peterborough, doesn't indicate actual value. Here is the owner talking before Covid: 

"Speaking before the January transfer window, Posh chairman Darragh MacAnthony said a League One record fee - eclipsing the £11m paid by Everton for Ademola Lookman in 2017 - would be needed to prise former Newcastle and Northampton striker Toney away."

• Options
    Perhaps Premier League scouts and clubs have more intelligence and would realise that with our striking options severely limited, Burstow has been forced out of his comfort zone to play almost as a lone striker rather than impact sub that he had been before. 

Chelsea have not bought Burstow for his current goal tally, they have bought him for his potential which a lot of scouts knew about before Burstow even signed for us. 

Talk about Ivan Toney who was purchased after the Coronavirus pandemic, which led to a fire sale at Peterborough, doesn't indicate actual value. Here is the owner talking before Covid: 

"Speaking before the January transfer window, Posh chairman Darragh MacAnthony said a League One record fee - eclipsing the £11m paid by Everton for Ademola Lookman in 2017 - would be needed to prise former Newcastle and Northampton striker Toney away."

Are you really quoting Darrach MacAnthony - this is the man who had a £2.5m buyout clause into Maddison's contract. Where is he now? 

Remember this?

MacAnthony says that Charlton agreed a fee of £1.5million for Maddison with further payments of £500,000 if he played 50 games and the SE7 outfit won promotion.

MacAnthony said Addicks executive chairman Southall had initially asked about signing Ivan Toney. “I  told him to forget Ivan – there’s no way he’s going to Charlton. You can’t afford him. He wanted a figure and he threw figures around and I said no. The only player that I will be willing to do business on is Marcus Maddison.”

But, back to my original question. What do you really think he was worth in January and what he would have been worth had we sold him in the summer? 

• Options
    So easy to say 1.6 million was poor bit of business when it isn’t your money. Thomas wouldn’t have got anywhere near that if he tried selling him this summer, so he has done incredibly well in my eyes 
    I would go as far as saying he has done so well, he could be arrested for theft.
  • Options
    edited March 2022

Are you really quoting Darrach MacAnthony - this is the man who had a £2.5m buyout clause into Maddison's contract. Where is he now? 

Remember this?

MacAnthony says that Charlton agreed a fee of £1.5million for Maddison with further payments of £500,000 if he played 50 games and the SE7 outfit won promotion.

MacAnthony said Addicks executive chairman Southall had initially asked about signing Ivan Toney. “I  told him to forget Ivan – there’s no way he’s going to Charlton. You can’t afford him. He wanted a figure and he threw figures around and I said no. The only player that I will be willing to do business on is Marcus Maddison.”

But, back to my original question. What do you really think he was worth in January and what he would have been worth had we sold him in the summer? 

Sounds like a man that knows how to extract value from players. 

Again, you think MacAnthony would have sold Toney for £5m if Covid didn't exist? He would have been sold for 8 figures. 

With a player like Burstow with years on his contract, you don't just sell him at literally the base of his value. Which is the first transfer window and first offer that came along, TS snapped their hand off and that was it. 

£1.6m is nothing in the grand scheme of things. Jenkinson was sold in 2011 and you can't build a squad from a million anymore.

I would have rather taken the risk he would have played above his level the rest of the season and gone for 10 times his value. Right now he would probably still have fetched £1m plus in the summer because he's 18 and Chelsea scouts have known him for years. 

We lose nothing waiting until the summer. His value doesn't drop below £1.6m judging from the rest of this season. 
  • Options
    edited March 2022

Remember this?

Again, you think MacAnthony would have sold Toney for £5m if Covid didn't exist? He would have been sold for 8 figures. 

With a player like Burstow with years on his contract, you don't just sell him at literally the base of his value. Which is the first transfer window and first offer that came along, TS snapped their hand off and that was it. 

£1.6m is nothing in the grand scheme of things. Jenkinson was sold in 2011 and you can't build a squad from a million anymore.

I would have rather taken the risk he would have played above his level the rest of the season and gone for 10 times his value. Right now he would probably still have fetched £1m plus in the summer because he's 18 and Chelsea scouts have known him for years. 

We lose nothing waiting until the summer. His value doesn't drop below £1.6m judging from the rest of this season. 
    So are you going to answer the question around what you think we should have valued him at? Considering £1.6m plus add ons is “derisory”?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I hope Mason has been paid his signing on fee. 

Must be some doubt now for all players how long the salaries will continue after this season. 

Whilst they and he will find other clubs the terms will likely be reduced as their then negotiating from a position of weakness. 

TS may have made the right call on this. Whether by luck or judgement and hopefully Mason too has benefited already in case it all goes sour.  
  • Options

Remember this?

I thought Burstow was said to have another season on his contract (was never confirmed by the club either way), so by next January his value could have gone down as the club would he looking to get whatever they could for him.

He should be more effective alongside Stockley or Chuks, but I don’t think a good run of form for half a season would have added that much to his value, and there was always a risk he would stop scoring. Do it for a few seasons and be signed up to a long contract then he would be worth a lot more.

What was clear early on even when scoring goals was that he wasn’t another Gomez, Shelvey or Lookman potentially worth £10m+. He might get there one day but he has never shown that level of ability.
  • Options
    Steve Avery told me tonight that he didn’t want Mason to go but that TS wanted to sell him
  • Options
    Let’s hope it was a cash up front deal 
  • Options
    Let’s hope it was a cash up front deal 
    Stage payments in roubles  :'(