Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Mason Burstow - progress at Chelsea (p47)

Comments

• Options
    edited February 2022
    Wasn’t a big thing. I didn’t even notice it. If you can’t put up with any negative comments best not to go to football.
    Maybe but she is a relative (maybe mum?) of Mason so hardly a surprise she would be a) at a game to watch her son and b) be upset at nob heads bawling out an 18yr old boy.

Sorry but no way Mason is cruising/so rich he has lost interest or any of the other crap talked about him.  He is a good lad who needs to grow into his body and is a poacher.  He was never going to do well upfront with Leko; it just isn't a suitable partnership. That's not his fault.
    Such logic doesn’t suit the narrative of some fans who will find any reason to be aggressive in their views at the moment. 
  • Options
    20/21: Hull (2nd in goals scored), Peterborough (1st in goals scored), Blackpool (14th in goals scored)

19/20: Coventry (8th in goals scored), Rotherham (T-2nd in goals scored), Wycombe (12th in goals scored)

18/19: Luton (1st in goals scored), Barnsley (T-3rd in goals scored), Charlton (6th in goals scored)

6th, 12th and 14th best in goals scored was good enough in each of the last three seasons so I'd reassess that 9/10 assumption as well...
    The point @jimmymelrose was making I feel is that 3rd to 6th just gives you a play off spot which is a lottery. 1st & 2nd gives you automatic promotion. And your examples prove that being in the top 2 goalscorers gives you automatic promotion 4 times out of 6......and in one other case 3rd best goalscorers gave you automatic promotion.

QED.

Now do the same with goals conceded and see which is more important to a promotion winning team!
    Goals scored is always the most important. You could have 11 goalkeepers in your team & keep 46 clean sheets, but if you didnt score any then the best you'll ever get is a 0-0 draw and 1point. Then see what 46 points gets you.

The object of a game of football is to win. In a league match the only way you win is by scoring more goals than your opponent.

It is that simple. 

• Options
    Huge week in his footballing career. Two tough away matches playing up top against two excellent defences. Would normally be looking at the positives from this experiences, but not our player anymore.

Never going to give Burstow abuse for his decision, but he’s now just another one of this squad which I am looking to forward to seeing them leave in the summer. 
  • Options
    There were just over 500 there. You are talking about a tiny vocal minority. Far more people were clapping than booing when he went off. Our party was more interested at seeing Kanu's debut at that point.     
  • Options
    Wasn’t a big thing. I didn’t even notice it. If you can’t put up with any negative comments best not to go to football.
    Maybe but she is a relative (maybe mum?) of Mason so hardly a surprise she would be a) at a game to watch her son and b) be upset at nob heads bawling out an 18yr old boy.

Sorry but no way Mason is cruising/so rich he has lost interest or any of the other crap talked about him.  He is a good lad who needs to grow into his body and is a poacher.  He was never going to do well upfront with Leko; it just isn't a suitable partnership. That's not his fault.
    Did you witness this? Like I said, I didn’t. 
  • Options
    JohnnyH2 said:
    Glad she's cleared that up, as yet again on here and twitter people were jumping to conclusions about our own fans.
  • Options
    The only thing I heard yesterday was a small amount of booing when he went off. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    sam3110 said:
    JamesSeed said:
    "Manchester City have joined West Ham and Brentford in showing an interest in Sheffield Wednesday's 16-year-old English forward Bailey Cadamarteri"

What a shock, another young striker ready to be poached by a PL club. Yes that is old Everton striker Danny's son.
    When small/new PL clubs like Brighton and Brentford are building models on player farming you know you have a growing problem on your hands.  Football really is eating itself.

Brentford who closed their academy to save money now trying to make other teams academies unviable by mopping up 16 year olds.  Brighton who relied on the help of other small teams to even exist are doing the same. 

When 60-70 non PL clubs decide to pack up their academies over the next 5-10 years it will be interesting to see what a great success EPPP has been for the long term future of the game.
    Out of interest, do other fans dislike Brentford for this?
    Although I normally want newly promoted clubs to stay up, perhaps I should want them to fail, so that others don't follow their model.
    No one cares about Brentford.
    They have a pretty small supporter base. But. 
    Problem is, each season they spend in the Premier League that base will grow. Every time they’re on MOTD they’ll probably pick up a few fans, and pique the interest of a few kids. Their matches will get coverage on BBC 5 Live. They feature on the back pages of newspapers, (where we are rarely even mentioned). They appear in the football magazines, and get talked about in football podcasts and on the web, in Premier League forums etc. 
    They’ll have eye catching runs in the FA Cup, and will stumble upon some seriously talented young players who will draw in more fans. 
    It’s bloody depressing even thinking about it. 
    There was an American guy at The Valley last week, overhead him speaking to a guy he was with and he was like "Oh yeah so I got into Football like last season and the start of this season, and since I was over here for a couple of weeks I wanted to check out a live match, my team is Brentford but I couldn't get to their game so I looked at over games happening in the London area and came here"

I was thinking to myself how on earth is your team Brentford?! But I guess if they just follow the Premier League and Brentford are the plucky newcomers, that appeals to people
    Went to Stockholm about 6yrs ago for a long weekend. There was a pub near our hotel that we popped into a few times and it was the home of the SweBees...Brentford tat all over the place! Very odd, but a welcoming place. Looked it up on TripAdvisor and one of the comments was "avoid...the worst bar in Stockholm " lol. Not all foreign supporters are premier leage glory boys....some are just a bit mental!
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    Croydon said:
    JohnnyH2 said:
    Glad she's cleared that up, as yet again on here and twitter people were jumping to conclusions about our own fans.
    Who is she? So nothing happened basically? I'm confused.

Personally I'd rather not have Mason back this season or next. Let's concentrate on our own players now
  • Options
    YTS1978 said:
    Croydon said:
    JohnnyH2 said:

Personally I'd rather not have Mason back this season or next. Let's concentrate on our own players now
    It's his mum. She didn't enjoy people around her moaning about how shit Burstow was yesterday (which is fair enough),  but load of people assumed she was getting abused for who she is.
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    YTS1978 said:
    Croydon said:
    JohnnyH2 said:

It's his mum. She didn't enjoy people around her moaning about how shit Burstow was yesterday (which is fair enough),  but load of people assumed she was getting abused for who she is.
    Oh right, that makes more sense then! Thanks for clarifying. 
  • Options
    Not disputing how he played as I didn't watch the game. He has been poor for the last couple of games.

Just don't get people getting on his back because he got a big move.
    These people must be very loyal folk .. if someone offers them a new job 3 times the salary and they turn it down … 
  • Options
    Croydon said:

Looks like Mason has been on the end of some abuse at Wigan today. No need for it.
    He played shit, and a few were vocal about it. 

Don't agree with the boos when he got subbed off though.
    This is nothing new to our club. It has had these arse holes following us round the country for a while now. They need a scape goat  🐐  all the time. The preferred  scape goats 🐐 scapegoats  are Matthews or Gunter.  I remember Novak at Peterborough as a forward who got abuse or Church,  even after he scored at Blackpool one Tuesday.  Fed up with it to be honest. 
    Matthews and Gunter aren’t scapegoats, many just don’t rate them. Gunter can’t even get in the squad. Matthews doesn’t tend to keep his place for long. If either were that good they’d be playing regularly all season long.
  • Options
    If his mum think our fans moan, just wait until he's playing for a team that's expected to win every game they play. The headhunters might be slightly more vocal than the few morons we have with us. 
  • Options
    Jesus, we are cursed. has a team ever had all 4 strikers out injured at the same time
  • Options
    Play Kanu up front, only a year younger than Mason, would have stuck that opportunity from 6 yards out in the net and unlike Lee will probably shoot when in a position to do so instead of looking for a pass
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I've a feeling - based on absolutely and utterly nothing - that Burstow might be back here on loan next season.

Clearly at the moment he doesn't look ready for Championship football, let alone anything higher. So if it's a loan to a league 1 club, why not us? Chelsea know we will look after him properly and we can probably offer them a guaranteed place for Burstow in our starting 18. 

If it was on offer, presumably we would accept? A front 4 of Stockley, Washington (if he resigns), Aneke (for the 4 games he will be fit for) and Burstow is not bad at this level.

• Options
    I've a feeling - based on absolutely and utterly nothing - that Burstow might be back here on loan next season.

Clearly at the moment he doesn't look ready for Championship football, let alone anything higher. So if it's a loan to a league 1 club, why not us? Chelsea know we will look after him properly and we can probably offer them a guaranteed place for Burstow in our starting 18. 

If it was on offer, presumably we would accept? A front 4 of Stockley, Washington (if he resigns), Aneke (for the 4 games he will be fit for) and Burstow is not bad at this level.

After the recent Developments at Chelsea today i don' think that is currently possible
  • Options

I’m not really sure how much he’s developing with us, and that will be the main consideration for Chelsea. He’s getting game time as we’ve had horrific injury problems, but do you see much improvement since he made his debut six months ago? 
  • Options
    I hope Chelsea have already paid us the money for Burstow...
  • Options
    se9addick said:

I’m not really sure how much he’s developing with us, and that will be the main consideration for Chelsea. He’s getting game time as we’ve had horrific injury problems, but do you see much improvement since he made his debut six months ago? 
    Fair point - he does look to have been going backwards over recent games.

But how much of that is due to the fact he has been playing up front with Leko and Lee? He's not got much chance of shining with either of those 2 because they will all be constantly out-muscled. Put him up front with the strength of Stockley or Aneke along side him and it might be a different story.
  • Options
    se9addick said:

Fair point - he does look to have been going backwards over recent games.

But how much of that is due to the fact he has been playing up front with Leko and Lee? He's not got much chance of shining with either of those 2 because they will all be constantly out-muscled. Put him up front with the strength of Stockley or Aneke along side him and it might be a different story.
    Oh definitely, playing with a bunch of duffers is a massive part of the problem. I just think that amongst the roster of clubs Chelsea have at their fingertips for loans they’ll be able to find somewhere better for his development next season, particularly if (hopefully!) he won’t be getting as much game time with us. And, honestly, as I no longer really have any investment in his future now he isn’t our player anymore, I hope that we can do better than him next season. 
  • Options
    Can Charlton still play Burstow ? He’s a Chelsea asset effectively so owned by Ambramovich ultimately. Usually the club borrowing a player pays something towards the wages so if that’s true Charlton are effectively paying Chelsea aren’t they ?
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    Can Charlton still play Burstow ? He’s a Chelsea asset effectively so owned by Ambramovich ultimately. Usually the club borrowing a player pays something towards the wages so if that’s true Charlton are effectively paying Chelsea aren’t they ?
    Depends I guess if you pay the loan fee and wage contribution up front or in arrears. 

I think Abramovich would be blocked from taking money out of Chelsea via the sanctions, but Chelsea can still operate.