Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Ukraine vs England - Match Thread

Comments

• Options
    We should win, but it would be very England to lose after a disallowed goal, dodgy penalty against us, sending off or an injury to a key player.

I saw the referee and his team are all German (other than the fourth official)...

• Options
    He hasn’t had the best of tournaments so far but Malinovsky is the danger tomorrow.
    Anybody that regularly watches Serie A knows the Atalanta man is a player of real quality. He has the ability to unlock a defence and with England being so tight defensively so far I’d expect Ukraine to rely on him to try and make something happen.
    Keep him quiet and we are half way there.
  • Options
    The worst thing we can do is underestimate the Ukraine. They ain’t that bad and they do pass the ball nicely.
  • Options
    England 67% 
    Draw 17% ( in ET England 60% Penalties 25% Ukraine 15% .... Penalties England 55% Ukraine 45%)
    Ukraine 16%

it's coming home , it's actually fucking coming home ... believe
  • Options
    Has to pick the strongest 11. Imagine the criticism if he rests a few and we get knocked out. I think the team will be:
    Pickford
    Walker, Stones, Maguire, Shaw
    Phillips, Rice, Mount
    Sterling, Kane, Grealish

Could be Foden for Grealish with Sterling down the left but I've got a feeling he'll go with Grealish as he was the one who came on and did the business. Personally I'd start both instead of Mount and go 4231 but Southgate is the manager who has kept 4 clean sheets, 3 wins and got us here so whatever he goes with is fine by me. 
    Usually I'd agree about going with strongest, Maguire I'd start but there is surely a question if he can play all these minutes and not have a reaction after being out. Rice and Phillips is a bigger issue, a booking each which is possible with how they play would be a big problem for the semi. The question then is if Henderson did come in could he last 90? As if we're going to end up with those two on at the end the risk is still there.

Personally less worried about the attacking options as there is a case for all of them. Probably just go with Foden over Grealish, I feel the latter is a better option off the bench if absolutely needed.
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    Sancho starts in place of the injured Saka.

He hasn't even signed for united yet big club bias blah blah
  • Options
    colthe3rd said:
    Has to pick the strongest 11. Imagine the criticism if he rests a few and we get knocked out. I think the team will be:
    Pickford
    Phillips, Rice, Mount
    Sterling, Kane, Grealish

Could be Foden for Grealish with Sterling down the left but I've got a feeling he'll go with Grealish as he was the one who came on and did the business. Personally I'd start both instead of Mount and go 4231 but Southgate is the manager who has kept 4 clean sheets, 3 wins and got us here so whatever he goes with is fine by me. 
    Usually I'd agree about going with strongest, Maguire I'd start but there is surely a question if he can play all these minutes and not have a reaction after being out. Rice and Phillips is a bigger issue, a booking each which is possible with how they play would be a big problem for the semi. The question then is if Henderson did come in could he last 90? As if we're going to end up with those two on at the end the risk is still there.

Personally less worried about the attacking options as there is a case for all of them. Probably just go with Foden over Grealish, I feel the latter is a better option off the bench if absolutely needed.
    Fair points, obviously we don't know how Maguire and Henderson are really feeling. Given Southgate is a no risk manager, I'd be shocked if he started Maguire or Henderson if they weren't ready (appreciate something could still occur mind). 

Either way, with respect to Ukraine we should be capable of making a few changes and still winning this game. In fact, sometimes it can work as you've got players chomping at the bit to prove themselves. 
  • Options
    England 67% 
    Draw 17% ( in ET England 60% Penalties 25% Ukraine 15% .... Penalties England 55% Ukraine 45%)
    Ukraine 16%

Someone once posted on here along the lines that we have no chance in this tournament as ‘we used a lifetime of chuffing luck getting the jammiest ever draw in a tournament back in 2018’ 

can’t  remember who it was though 
  • Options
    colthe3rd said:
    Pickford
    Phillips, Rice, Mount
    Sterling, Kane, Grealish

Fair points, obviously we don't know how Maguire and Henderson are really feeling. Given Southgate is a no risk manager, I'd be shocked if he started Maguire or Henderson if they weren't ready (appreciate something could still occur mind). 

Either way, with respect to Ukraine we should be capable of making a few changes and still winning this game. In fact, sometimes it can work as you've got players chomping at the bit to prove themselves. 
    I think the days of playing the same players in every single game are long gone (maybe was more of an English mentality anyway). Italy have shown that rotating players in a tournament does no harm as long as those players fit the system you're trying to play. Southgate as well has rotated well and I trust him to make the right choices for tomorrow.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    colthe3rd said:
    colthe3rd said:
    Pickford
    Phillips, Rice, Mount
    Sterling, Kane, Grealish

I think the days of playing the same players in every single game are long gone (maybe was more of an English mentality anyway). Italy have shown that rotating players in a tournament does no harm as long as those players fit the system you're trying to play. Southgate as well has rotated well and I trust him to make the right choices for tomorrow.
    Agreed. I don't think it was just English mentality, but squad rotation has definitely grown a lot across Europe particularly. In fact, we done the same really in the last match. We changed shape meaning only Pickford, Sterling, Saka and Kane were playing in the same positions from the game before. Even then the front three were supported by Grealish against the Czechs so still played a different way. Top quality players are capable of adapting and I've got faith most of ours could handle it. 
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    England 67% 
    Ukraine 16%

Someone once posted on here along the lines that we have no chance in this tournament as ‘we used a lifetime of chuffing luck getting the jammiest ever draw in a tournament back in 2018’ 

can’t  remember who it was though 
    Ha ha 
    well we’ve got no chance In next years World Cup we’ll have to play some proper teams at some point , we can’t keep getting byes to the final .
  • Options
    Amazing how things change. Pre-tournament there was a clamour to move away from two holding midfielders. Now the Nation holds its breath over the possibility of a yellow card ruling out Rice or Phillips. Who’da think it?

For my money, young Bellingham should get a go tonight.  He may need to be chucked in to either the semi or the final if points rack up so let’s run him in now. 
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    There is no way we will be treating this game as an easy win. It will be treated as if we are playing the best team in the World. It is a quarter final after all. You can't look beyond that game. The only time you can change anything is if the game is put beyond Ukraine but these things never seem as straightforward as we think they should be.
  • Options
    When did it change to Ukraine from the Ukraine?
  • Options
    This is like Man City playing Wigan, you underestimate your opponent at your peril.
  • Options
    I get that you shouldn’t underestimate your opponent, but you shouldn’t overestimate them either. Estimate them just right, which I have no doubt Southgate & the team will do, and England will win comfortably. 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:

Is that the leaked rumour?
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:

Is that the leaked rumour?
    Straight from my "man in the camp"

Actually I read it in on the telegraph Web site. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Just a reminder for the nerves... England have never won a KO game at the Euros, on foreign soil ;)
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    People are just assuming we are going to win tonight and that’s very very dangerous with England. It would be just like us to beat Germany and then have an after the Lord Mayors show game v Ukraine.

Remember the Croatia semi final. Same thing - everyone was already talking about the final as if we were in it.

We have a great chance but then again so do they. Tournament football. A one off game. Expect the unexpected 
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    SamB09 said:
    Definitely play our strongest team as Ukraine will be well up for this.
    What is our strongest side???

Good question gaffer.
    Gareth Southgate has picked the 11 to start who he felt were the best for the team we were about to compete with. 
    Foden, Mount, and Chilwell aren't reserve players. Shaw and Chilwell are so similar that you could rest Shaw for one game and play Chilwell and it would be seem less. 
    More fate why Chilwell hasn't had game time so far.

Johnstone, Ramage, White, Cody, DCL,  Sancho and Bellingham are reserve players as used or not used by GS. Ming's was the stand in for Maguire and did a good solid job.

Against Germany we played 3 at the back with Walker and Trippier as the wing back who came in to negate the dangerous Gosens. This won't be necessary tonight.

Football is won now with up to 16 or 17(ET) players in 2021 and the game has evolved.
    Long parts of matches are about ball retention as taught by nearly every coach going until you see the killer pass.

Against Ukraine we need to pick a side to create lots of chances as well as keeping our defensive shape. 3-1 with a free kick goal, Kane goal, and a goal from Mount or Foden with a consolation from plucky Ukraine from a deflection when we are already 3-0 up in added time !

Ukraine have to be respected but they got out of their group in 3rd place with 3 points with minus 1  goal by the lucky loser format.

England must make sure Ukraine are losers again and we will.

Please no mention of the semi final until the big boned lady is in full voice.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    This is like Man City playing Wigan, you underestimate your opponent at your peril.

Which player for Ukraine is the ginger one ?
  • Options
    Pick your strongest team and if players have to miss the next game due to yellow cards then we utilise the strong squad that we have. 

As others have said, you can’t go ‘resting’ players in big tournament games. 

If Rice or Phillips get a yellow and have to miss out (assuming we progress that is!) then Henderson or Bellingham aren’t half bad replacements!
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    Amazing how things change. Pre-tournament there was a clamour to move away from two holding midfielders. Now the Nation holds its breath over the possibility of a yellow card ruling out Rice or Phillips. Who’da think it?

For my money, young Bellingham should get a go tonight.  He may need to be chucked in to either the semi or the final if points rack up so let’s run him in now. 

As we saw from our first game and it caught every pundit out on CL and in the professional media, Phillips didn't play as a holding midfielder and was well advanced even being caught off side. He will and has reverted to a more defensive role depending on the state of the match.
  • Options
    Reckon this will be a really tough game. 
    Sports programmes showing who our opponent will be in the final, and talking about resting players is so bloody typical. 
    Let’s beat Ukraine first lads. 
    Hoping Germany wasn’t our final. 

• Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    If he picks Rice and Phillips, doesn't play 2 up front, 2 wingers, wing backs and Grealish, Foden, Mount and Sancho I hope we lose and I'll go and support Scotland!!!

Is that right?
    Ll
    433 Mount and Henderson in for Phillips and Walker.  Very confident that Southgate will get it right and we will win.  2-0 Kane with one and a header from a corner. 

• Options
    Saying resting players does sound arrogant but we are trying to win the tournament and we are seeing players getting injuries because they have had long seasons. Sports science shows the fitness levels and stats which need to be closely monitored.

Agree, Iceland and more recently Croatia from WC shows we need a team to be mentally and physically on it for the whole game with 16 players if need be. (Or 17 if ET)
  • Options
    I don’t think many expected to beat Croatia in the WC Semis as in a done deal, was more we were happy to play them rather than the ‘bigger’ countries.