Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Welling vs CAFC - Match Thread (Pre-season friendly)

Comments

• Options
    Just back from the game.

Great first half but 2nd half didnt live up to the billing ......maybe because it only contained 2 first teamers (plus Davison). Sadly only Henry stood out in that half from the lads looking to step up. 

Stand out players for me  -

Dobbie
    Morgan
    Claydon
    Deji

Disappointed that we were missing Gunter, Matthews,Gilbey,Watson,Innes & Schwartz. 

• Options
    I thought Dempsey looked very good tonight.
  • Options
    Also thought Oguntayo could do a good job in the front three as per Maatsen last year.
  • Options
    Morgan and Clayden impressed a lot. The whole first half team were the pick.
  • Options
    Really impressed with Morgan, new Deji, Claydon and Oguntayo. Nice finish from DJ too.

I know Welling are a non-league side but thought they were really poor, looked like a few blokes who looked a bit like sportsmen picked out from the local pub. 
    You can't really judge Welling yet.

Like most small clubs deprived of income for the Covid period, they probably have very little budget for team building.

Half of their players were triallists including both their keepers and all their subs.
    Not only will they be unfamiliar with the set up and gameplan - I don't suppose they even know each others names!

• Options
    We’re gonna win the league
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    Anyone else remember the score at Welling during the 2011 pre season? That’s right, 3-0 to the Addicks.

It’s a sign. The reds are going up…
  • Options
    Crusty54 said:
    Wonder if we'll get the PVR pitch invasion tonight
    Loads of warnings that a pitch invasion would break the anti COVID bubbles and force the cancellation of games. 
    Yeah was nice to see it didnt happen, could have been problematic for both clubs
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I went Gills and Tonight.

Morgan and Stockley a class apart any player, although I've always known Morgan is but wasn't used enough last season.

Deji is better than Tucker and would save a Million pound.

That's it. 
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    Most of the first half team gave a good account of themselves very impressed with Clayden and the new Deji CB, very comfortable on the ball although he was strong in the challenge he didn’t have a lot of defending to do. Morgan had both assists and nearly did a ‘Schick’ from the halfway line.

Second half Famewo was very solid, Davison some good moments and Henry eager to get on the ball but not everything came off for him.
  • Options
    how did the gills draw 3-3 to these. 
  • Options
    They nearly lost, Welling came from 2 down and were leading 3-2 until Gills equalised with the last kick of the game.
  • Options
    Decent run out
  • Options
    I went Gills and Tonight.

Morgan and Stockley a class apart any player, although I've always known Morgan is but wasn't used enough last season.

Deji is better than Tucker and would save a Million pound.

That's it. 
    Deji looked very good but he was rarely tested. Didn't see the game over the weekend so can't comment on his performance then but a couple of pre-season games rarely proves much. 
  • Options
    Morgan was excellent, DJ also - he's spent the summer in the Gym clearly!

Clayden was almost a mirror of Alfie, looked vey sharp
  • Options
    Welling bullied Gills for large parts, Saturday and got in behind a lot. 

I know it's only pre season and can't read much into it but there was a gulf between Gills and our first half side

I mentioned Stockley and Morgan were a class apart last night but Pearce was faultless last night also. 
  • Options
    was just great to be back watching football again and having a pint with my mates.

bet the Guy Earl of Warwick regretted being shut for the day!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited July 2021
    Honestly mate, after a year of watching no live football and people moaning they had tickets and then no crowds allowed I can't fathom for the life of me why there was only 1100 there.

*sold out, didn't realise, seemed quite empty tbh and presume they could only allow so many in the stadium
  • Options
    yeah the attendance was capped at 1,200 or something
  • Options
    Want to see the new and improved Deji in action a few more times, but he’s looked great against Celtic and Welling so far.
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    Didn't watch the game live, but just saw the goals and the main objective in the early pre season games is getting minutes into players and seeing if two or 3 youngsters could make the step up. Giving marks on 45 minutes seemed premature.

Clayden, a left footed player on the right, took his goal well, but managers in League 1 would counter that by cutting off the inside route on his left foot. What is Charles Clayden's usual position ? 

Best to judge young Deji when he has an experienced League striker in a battle before drawing too many conclusions.

Is Henry a similar player to JFC in that some days he looks light weight but others times he seem to be the brains in midfield ?

Morgan must be near to being the number 1 playmaker with his range of passing. May need to temper his love of the Hollywood pass which has a low percentage of success.;great when they come off.

Pleased that the traditional Welling game took place. 
  • Options
    I love how "New Deji" is becoming his name.

Didn't watch but sounds like a good workout.

The games v Reading and Fulham will tell us more, especially as we may have more players, existing and new, available by then.
  • Options
    Regardless of what striker Deji was playing against his distribution was first class.

Welling strikers gave Tucker a tough time Saturday, a player people have been stating they'd be over the moon if we signed and touted a million pound price tag????? 
  • Options
    @Charltonparklane, I love the enthusiasm and excitement but think you might be reading too far into individual performances from the Welling game. 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    I recall when Danny Green joined & smashed in a beautiful 25 yarder at Welling. What a player.
    He never did it again.
    https://youtu.be/uTYOQ2e7d7I
    I don't remember that at all.
    Midweek and 3-0 down at the time , lost  3-2 I think……. I was there , amongst the usual large tumultuous away following