Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Welling vs CAFC - Match Thread (Pre-season friendly)

Comments

• Options
    Didn't watch the game live, but just saw the goals and the main objective in the early pre season games is getting minutes into players and seeing if two or 3 youngsters could make the step up. Giving marks on 45 minutes seemed premature.

Clayden, a left footed player on the right, took his goal well, but managers in League 1 would counter that by cutting off the inside route on his left foot. What is Charles Clayden's usual position ? 

Best to judge young Deji when he has an experienced League striker in a battle before drawing too many conclusions.

Is Henry a similar player to JFC in that some days he looks light weight but others times he seem to be the brains in midfield ?

Morgan must be near to being the number 1 playmaker with his range of passing. May need to temper his love of the Hollywood pass which has a low percentage of success.;great when they come off.

Pleased that the traditional Welling game took place. 
    Deji looked fairly decent against Celtic too. Henry is nothing like JFC for me so far. I'd actually put Morgan in that box on the past 90 mins. 
  • Options
    Hope we build a midfield around Morgan 
  • Options
    Well we’ve got some talented players coming through haven’t we, our academy never fails to deliver! 

I can see Clayden playing a part next season, very impressive in the last couple of games, reminds me a bit of Alfie as he has raw pace but is technically better. 

Young Deji also looks very good, playing pin point cross field balls for fun and looks very comfortable on the ball. I think Henry will be around it next season as well, technically a very good player. 

• Options

• Options
    AndyG said:
    Stockley has missed two good chances now

Gonna be a waste of a fee if he doesn't start scoring soon 
    Mate ! Seriously ? 

Is that your Grinder gif?
  • Options
    Hopefully this gives us all a bit of context about the comments regarding "the path to the first team" that Adkins and Sandgaard are keen on. There's clearly a fair amount of talent in the youth teams and I am sure several of them will be training with the senior squad and maybe travelling up for a few games to get used to the atmosphere and how it goes.

BUT I don't think we will get to the point where we have 4-5 of them as established parts of the actual squad by the end of the season. Hopefully a cup run will let them get some games.
  • Options
    Glad we won and some of the youngsters impressed, but i'm honestly struggling to find any motivation for football at the moment. On a serious Euro's comedown.

The fact that this game didn't even warrant any mention at all on either of the 2 Charlton whatsapp groups i'm on, suggests i'm not the only one.
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    This, i think Bowyer made a mistake not using him more, preferred Pratley :)
  • Options
    Glad we won and some of the youngsters impressed, but i'm honestly struggling to find any motivation for football at the moment. On a serious Euro's comedown.

The fact that this game didn't even warrant any mention at all on either of the 2 Charlton whatsapp groups i'm on, suggests i'm not the only one.
    Yeah, but it was only a training game, a fitness exercise, glorified kick about to get players some minutes.

It'll be the same at Dartford this Saturday ..... but you'll even get 2 hours worth of football practice to watch. 

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Plenty of decent showing by the kids both on saturday and last night,going to stick my neck out here,I thnk Davison will make the breakthrough this year,strong quick and can pass a ball,the friendlies against the better side will be more challenging,but to me this kid looks good.
  • Options
    I thought Davison couldn't find any rhythm yesterday, although that'd what pre-season is for. 
  • Options
    Redhenry said:
    Agreed. I said it at the time. A lot!
  • Options
    Redhenry said:
    Agreed. I said it at the time. A lot!
    Me too... Was told I was being blinded by his Hollywood passing. 
  • Options
    Really impressed with Morgan, new Deji, Claydon and Oguntayo. Nice finish from DJ too. I know Welling are a non-league side but thought they were really poor, looked like a few blokes who looked a bit like sportsmen picked out from the local pub
    Alright, alright, I tried my best.
  • Options
    Always been a big Morgan fan. Yes he had and has things to improve on, but was becoming annoyed at the way Bowyer would constantly focus on his negatives.
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    This is a big season for Albie, he is no longer a young gun in the team/squad. That role now moves onto Dempsey/Vennings/Henry.

We need to see consistency over the course of 5 - 10 -15 games, rather than 1 or 2. I believe we have a manager now who will nurture youth players better than LB who near the end, would talk more about his days as a midfielder than a coach teaching and honing the skills of youth players.
  • Options
    Was looking forward to seeing Aouachria and Santos, both on the subs bench for both games, not coming on, just wondering if anyone knows whether this is a lack of fitness or have they dropped down the pecking order.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The thing with Morgan is, we all know there is something special there but it sort of comes out and goes back in again. I don't think it has always been just down to him, but how the managers have played him. We have been saying this could be a breakthrough season for him for a few seasons. This one really could be I feel.

What impressed me about Clayden was his willingness to take a defender and his ability to achieve it. His shot against the bar was excellent and I think we have found something there. A mention for Dobson. His passing was accurate and very tidy. He looked decent. 

We have to remember we were playing Welling but I have found a few things of interest to me as pre-season progresses.
  • Options
    thenewbie said:
    Hopefully this gives us all a bit of context about the comments regarding "the path to the first team" that Adkins and Sandgaard are keen on. There's clearly a fair amount of talent in the youth teams and I am sure several of them will be training with the senior squad and maybe travelling up for a few games to get used to the atmosphere and how it goes.

BUT I don't think we will get to the point where we have 4-5 of them as established parts of the actual squad by the end of the season. Hopefully a cup run will let them get some games.
    I thought it interesting that Grant Basey wasn't there last night. He is supposed to be the link between the development squads and the first team.
  • Options
    Was Euell there. I saw JJ but didn't see him? It doesn't mean he wasn't there of course.
  • Options
    Euell was there on the pitch doing pass move sessions and in dug out all night
  • Options
    RedJohn said:
    Was looking forward to seeing Aouachria and Santos, both on the subs bench for both games, not coming on, just wondering if anyone knows whether this is a lack of fitness or have they dropped down the pecking order.
    With an 11 for each half the few subs are really there just in case there’s an injury.
  • Options
    IPSWICH , My O my, doesn't matter who played, but to lose to Bury St Edmunds who will be back at work tomorrow is laughable. Absolutely one of the most embarrassing things I've seen in a decade.

Fans not happy lol 😂 
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    What impressed me most, especially in the first half was how little Welling created. If we had been 5-0 up at half time, it wouldn't have been too flattering. Did they field a much weaker team to the one that almost beat Gillingham?
  • Options
    Not everything he did came off but I was very impressed with Vennings' movement and willingness to get on the ball yesterday. He's often accused of being 'lightweight' but he's the kind of player that can run rings around a team on his day. On a playing surface that isn't a bog we'll see a lot more from him
  • Options
    IPSWICH , My O my, doesn't matter who played, but to lose to Bury St Edmunds who will be back at work tomorrow is laughable. Absolutely one of the most embarrassing things I've seen in a decade.

Fans not happy lol 😂 
    1-1 draw, went to penalties. 
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Not everything he did came off but I was very impressed with Vennings' movement and willingness to get on the ball yesterday. He's often accused of being 'lightweight' but he's the kind of player that can run rings around a team on his day. On a playing surface that isn't a bog we'll see a lot more from him
    I thought Vennings got better in the last 10 minutes.