Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Welling vs CAFC - Match Thread (Pre-season friendly)

Comments

• Options
    Was Euell there. I saw JJ but didn't see him? It doesn't mean he wasn't there of course.
    They both looked like they could have played 45 minutes.
  • Options
    Crusty54 said:
    Leuth said:
    Not everything he did came off but I was very impressed with Vennings' movement and willingness to get on the ball yesterday. He's often accused of being 'lightweight' but he's the kind of player that can run rings around a team on his day. On a playing surface that isn't a bog we'll see a lot more from him
    I thought Vennings got better in the last 10 minutes. 
    He did, but for me he wasn't as up to speed as his counterparts... That being said he had a LONG injury lay off last year.
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Not everything he did came off but I was very impressed with Vennings' movement and willingness to get on the ball yesterday. He's often accused of being 'lightweight' but he's the kind of player that can run rings around a team on his day. On a playing surface that isn't a bog we'll see a lot more from him
    Oh Lor!
    If poor young Vennings is your new best friend this is literally the last objective assessment we will get from you before the blinkers come down and you are taking on all-comers ;)  
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    IPSWICH , My O my, doesn't matter who played, but to lose to Bury St Edmunds who will be back at work tomorrow is laughable. Absolutely one of the most embarrassing things I've seen in a decade.

Fans not happy lol 😂 
    It was their U18s plus 4 players who have been told to find another club.  If anyone is getting upset about that they would fit in well here. 
    Our 2nd half team once MacGillivray was subbed contained just 2 first teamers plus Davison. They still beat Welling 1-0. 
  • Options
    Crusty54 said:
    thenewbie said:
    Hopefully this gives us all a bit of context about the comments regarding "the path to the first team" that Adkins and Sandgaard are keen on. There's clearly a fair amount of talent in the youth teams and I am sure several of them will be training with the senior squad and maybe travelling up for a few games to get used to the atmosphere and how it goes.

BUT I don't think we will get to the point where we have 4-5 of them as established parts of the actual squad by the end of the season. Hopefully a cup run will let them get some games.
    I thought it interesting that Grant Basey wasn't there last night. He is supposed to be the link between the development squads and the first team.
    Grant Basey is the missing link?

• Options
    Crusty54 said:
    thenewbie said:
    Hopefully this gives us all a bit of context about the comments regarding "the path to the first team" that Adkins and Sandgaard are keen on. There's clearly a fair amount of talent in the youth teams and I am sure several of them will be training with the senior squad and maybe travelling up for a few games to get used to the atmosphere and how it goes.

BUT I don't think we will get to the point where we have 4-5 of them as established parts of the actual squad by the end of the season. Hopefully a cup run will let them get some games.
    I thought it interesting that Grant Basey wasn't there last night. He is supposed to be the link between the development squads and the first team.
    Perhaps Basey is signing for Wigan as well  ;)
  • Options
    I saw him come in and go up to the Stand before the game. 
  • Options
    The pipe is looking healthy isn’t it… Really enjoyed seeing our younger players contribute and try to impress NA yesterday. Nice goals, didn’t appear to be too many worrying tackles or niggles and on we go. Would like to see Deji and Clayden more, Deji looks like he has a decent range of passing for a centre half and Clayden’s left peg looks a bit of a beaut and the game is not flooded with lefties (though arguably most pros are more comfortable with both feet nowadays than they used to be).
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I think my O50's team could have given Welling a game that's how poor they were.....saying that liked Clayden, New Deji and Henry. Davison a few good touches but not very involved in the game....though Dobson had a better game that Saturday as well....Welling #11 was a little naughty and should have been sent off or taken off
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:
    Crusty54 said:
    thenewbie said:

Grant Basey is the missing link?

Hadnt it been suggested that he has been sidelined, as he had been leaking things 
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Redhenry said:
    Hope we build a midfield around Morgan 
    This, i think Bowyer made a mistake not using him more, preferred Pratley :)
    Agreed. I said it at the time. A lot!
    Me too... Was told I was being blinded by his Hollywood passing. 

Out of the Youngsters we have produced in the last 3 seasons, Morgan is the slow burner but definitely could play the Midfield playmaker role. Gilbey has great energy and showed his worth in last part of season. Dobson sounds more the replacement for Watson in the holding role or the shield for the CB's.
    We still need another playmaker as 46 games is a long old season.

Would be great if Henry, Vennings or Clayden etc were considered good enough for the match day  squad but that's for Nigel, JJ, and Jason to decide.
  • Options
    A Charlton XI (under 18s) played Tunbridge Wells last night too losing 3-0. Grant Basey may have been there. 
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    Leuth said:
    Leuth said:
    Oh Lor!
    If poor young Vennings is your new best friend this is literally the last objective assessment we will get from you before the blinkers come down and you are taking on all-comers ;)  
    This is true to be fair. Vennings is definitely one of this season's Leuth Projects. You've been warned
    I fear he will be disappointed. He clearly has talent but doesn't look ready to me. Clayden is a player I'd like to see more of in pre-season. I have a feeling he might be able to make that step up sooner rather than later. He seems to me to be a player that tries to make things happen. No farting about.
  • Options
    Thought Dempsey played well.
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    Dempsey is a bit of a clogger imo, and isn't enough of a physical presence to make up for it. But he might surprise me
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Dempsey is a bit of a clogger imo, and isn't enough of a physical presence to make up for it. But he might surprise me
    He must have something about him, otherwise the club wouldn't have given him another contract.

• Options
    Oggy Red said:
    Leuth said:
    He must have something about him, otherwise the club wouldn't have given him another contract.

He has age on his side I guess

If we just wanted a battling midfielder on a one year contract. I'd rather we kept Pratley
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Oggy Red said:
    Leuth said:

It's just more evidence that we are going to fill the squad with cheap kids and other clubs cast offs.

Or he has show enough to make someone think he can kick on, or off, enough to be an asset somewhere down the line.

He has never overly impressed me but I am not an expert.  Also playing a u23 team full of 1st year pros isn't a good idea either. 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Oggy Red said:
    Leuth said:

It's just more evidence that we are going to fill the squad with cheap kids and other clubs cast offs.

Or he has show enough to make someone think he can kick on, or off, enough to be an asset somewhere down the line.

He has never overly impressed me but I am not an expert.  Also playing a u23 team full of 1st year pros isn't a good idea either. 
    As a 21 year old, he's outside squad number caps, that's the main reason for keeping him I imagine
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:
    Leuth said:

If we just wanted a battling midfielder on a one year contract. I'd rather we kept Pratley
    Remember, he's already made 4 Championship appearances in 2019-20.  Whilst obviously not really ready, he played his part during that season's crippling injury crisis, before joining National League Woking for the rest of that season.

Woking clearly liked him, because he went back there, this time on loan for a full season where he again impressed as a 1st team regular. 

Okay, some people may say that National League is 'only' 5th Division - but it is men's football, a tough competitive League, and really, there's probably not too much difference in standard compared to League 2.

Remember also, rather than send players to League 2 clubs, Charlton like to loan players to National League sides because they can be recalled. 

Finally, Charlton watch and carefully monitor the progress of all players while at their loan clubs.
    If the club weren't impressed by Dempsey's progress, no doubt he would have been released.

• Options
    Oggy Red said:
    Leuth said:

Pratley was always a red card waiting to happen. Too many shirt pulls and petty fouls. 
  • Options
    Crusty54 said:
    Oggy Red said:
    Leuth said:

Pratley was always a red card waiting to happen. Too many shirt pulls and petty fouls. 
    I'd probably add he was just fucking dreadful all season
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:
    Oggy Red said:
    Leuth said:

Remember, he's already made 4 Championship appearances in 2019-20.  Whilst obviously not really ready, he played his part during that season's crippling injury crisis, before joining National League Woking for the rest of that season.

Woking clearly liked him, because he went back there, this time on loan for a full season where he again impressed as a 1st team regular. 

Okay, some people may say that National League is 'only' 5th Division - but it is men's football, a tough competitive League, and really, there's probably not too much difference in standard compared to League 2.

Remember also, rather than send players to League 2 clubs, Charlton like to loan players to National League sides because they can be recalled. 

Finally, Charlton watch and carefully monitor the progress of all players while at their loan clubs.
    If the club weren't impressed by Dempsey's progress, no doubt he would have been released.

He did ok at Woking, though it's worth noting that Woking were a poor team who came 20th out of the 22 teams that completed the season with 33 points from 42 games, so shining here is hardly that much of an achievement

• Options
    edited July 2021
    Not sure about any of you guys but I know 4 people’s track and trace has pinged from the Welling game. 

Strangely, I’ve not received an alert.
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:
    Oggy Red said:
    Leuth said:

He did ok at Woking, though it's worth noting that Woking were a poor team who came 20th out of the 22 teams that completed the season with 33 points from 42 games, so shining here is hardly that much of an achievement

That's a bit unfair though, @killerandflash ...... there may have been good reasons for Woking's loss of form in the 2nd half of the season: injuries, loss of key players, etc. He's certainly well thought of at Woking.

Without spending time researching all the details of Woking's season, all we know is that CAFC monitored Dempsey's progress and judged that he impressed sufficiently to reward him with a further contract.

That's good enough for me. 

• Options
    Oggy Red said:
    Oggy Red said:
    Oggy Red said:
    Leuth said:

That's a bit unfair though, @killerandflash ...... there may have been good reasons for Woking's loss of form in the 2nd half of the season: injuries, loss of key players, etc. He's certainly well thought of at Woking.

Without spending time researching all the details of Woking's season, all we know is that CAFC monitored Dempsey's progress and judged that he impressed sufficiently to reward him with a further contract.

That's good enough for me. 

We know that Sandgaard and Adkins are keen to try and bring on youth players, which has to be a good thing (if managed correctly of course).

I wouldn't think this means he's now guaranteed to be starting regularly or even a part of every single squad, simply that he's shown enough to be worth taking a chance on.