Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Tokyo Olympics

Comments

• Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    The attitudes from the other women just screams they know she's on something. 
    Or that she is just a bitch? 
    If she was a bitch you'd smile for the cameras. 

If you feel like she's stolen something from you thanks to drugs you'd act like they did after the race. 
    Do you honestly think that she is on drugs, or has been, and the other 2 are totally clean? 
    Do I think she's on drugs? Yes. Going from 4th in 2019 to running like Bolt now does seem like she's cycled on for the Olympics. 

Others being clean? I don't know. I'd assume not but with Fraser-Price being a mum I suppose she probably can't cycle on and off as easily. 
    She is the reigning Olympic champion at 100m and 200m. In 2016 she won in 10.71, today she won in 10.61. 

I mean i'm sure they're all on some kind of drugs, but you're talking as though she's come from nowhere to win a shock gold medal.
    Her performances since the last Olympics: 

2016 Olympics: 1st
    2017: World Championships: 5th
    2018: World Indoor Championships: 4th
    2018: Commonwealth Games: 4th
    2019: World Championships: 4th + 7th
    2021: Olympics: 1st. 

Just a very strange set of results.  

Looks just like Jason Kenny's...... 
    Because UK cycling is as clean as a whistle. 
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

If you feel like she's stolen something from you thanks to drugs you'd act like they did after the race. 
    Do you honestly think that she is on drugs, or has been, and the other 2 are totally clean? 
    Do I think she's on drugs? Yes. Going from 4th in 2019 to running like Bolt now does seem like she's cycled on for the Olympics. 

Others being clean? I don't know. I'd assume not but with Fraser-Price being a mum I suppose she probably can't cycle on and off as easily. 
    She is the reigning Olympic champion at 100m and 200m. In 2016 she won in 10.71, today she won in 10.61. 

I mean i'm sure they're all on some kind of drugs, but you're talking as though she's come from nowhere to win a shock gold medal.

Looks just like Jason Kenny's...... 
    Because UK cycling is as clean as a whistle. 
    Yup just rounder wheels, that only come out for the Olympics......

Look at the team pursuit world records posted earlier in the thread. 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

Or a very good training programme. We used to do it in the track Cycling, perform below par between Olympics and then turn up when it really mattered. 
    This really doesn't help your case at all. If anything it strengthens mine. 
    How? 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

Or a very good training programme. We used to do it in the track Cycling, perform below par between Olympics and then turn up when it really mattered. 
    This really doesn't help your case at all. If anything it strengthens mine. 
    How? 
    That 'very good training programme' you speak of in track cycling wasn't clean. 

'Turning up when it really mattered' is basically the definition of cycling on. 
  • Options
    Wasn't we having the discussion not long ago about British swimming? They had the threat of losing funding and turned it round. It is absolutely right rowing should be facing the same scrutiny given that BMX was crowdfunded and got a better overall result. I'd take a million from the rowing budget and share that with the two BMX riders. Giving successful athletes a reward is a decent alternative.

• Options
    Wasn't we having the discussion not long ago about British swimming? They had the threat of losing funding and turned it round. It is absolutely right rowing should be facing the same scrutiny given that BMX was crowdfunded and got a better overall result. I'd take a million from the rowing budget and share that with the two BMX riders. Giving successful athletes a reward is a decent alternative.

This rowing result is a bit of a freak one, for multiple reasons.  Should be back to winning ways in Paris. 
  • Options
    Tempted to say my former sports council colleagues at UK Sport will keep Rowings funding high, and are going to have to give more money to British Cycling for the other disciplines. Someone will get cut, not sure who yet 

• Options
    Cafc43v3r said:

This rowing result is a bit of a freak one, for multiple reasons.  Should be back to winning ways in Paris. 
    I agree, you have to give them a chance to sort it out but with a finite budget, you do have to put a cost on each Gold medal and Rowing didn't even give us one! They have to do the business in Paris or they will know what is going to happen. As I said, Swimming has turned it around. I'm not sure how they did. Was it getting rid of people at the top of having a longer term strategy and showing faith in it?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    There's a finite pot. Other sports and individuals have shown that they deserve more funding, and the money has to come from somewhere

And politically (and this isn't how I think btw) it will be portrayed in some corners as "posh" public school rowers versus "street" BMX, Taekwondo etc
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:

I agree, you have to give them a chance to sort it out but with a finite budget, you do have to put a cost on each Gold medal and Rowing didn't even give us one! They have to do the business in Paris or they will know what is going to happen. As I said, Swimming has turned it around. I'm not sure how they did. Was it getting rid of people at the top of having a longer term strategy and showing faith in it?
    Swimming does well from Sport England funding even in those rough years for talent, which helped keep the kids who are now winning medals in coaching etc.  
  • Options
    But you can't invest millions and open the trap door. You have to give it a chance to work. What we don't know is whether those in charge are up to it or not. Those in charge of Swimming clearly were as this games has evidenced and Paris is going to be massive for UK rowing.
  • Options
    Sports already have the majority of there Paris funding in place, and rowing is down on what they had for Tokyo, but not hugely, they’ll need a decent Paris to get the LA funding in place 
  • Options
    Finally glad to see FloJo's Olympic 100m record beaten. For some time it seems likely she was doped up and it's taken more than 30 years to beat a record that even as an American, I consider tainted.
  • Options
    It’s pretty brutal for a sport to have its UKS funding cut, was working with Archery GB when they lost their Olympics funding, and programmes got cut, and they scrabbled around to find the money. But they did and they’ve done alright. 

Sometimes losing the money can help, frees you of the attention that UK Sport give you, which was pretty tough in the Liz Nichols days. The new CEO is ex of Hockey, so not sure what the approach is now
  • Options
    Gutted for Dina Asher-Smith..

18 months ago she looked unbeatable and was at the top of her game.
    This extra year hasn't been kind to her.
    It hasn't, but she's always been behind 3/4 runners in the 100. 

Not true.
    She won Silver in 100M in Doha at World Championships in 2919.
    True but some of the big guns were missing. Dina could have broken her personal best at the Olympics and still missed out on a medal.  

Seeing the times of the Jamaicans in the 100m you are correct !
  • Options
    Rothko said:
    Tempted to say my former sports council colleagues at UK Sport will keep Rowings funding high, and are going to have to give more money to British Cycling for the other disciplines. Someone will get cut, not sure who yet 

Is UK sport lottery money or is it government funded?
  • Options
    Rothko said:

Is UK sport lottery money or is it government funded?
    Majority of it is Lottery, a third of it is Government funding which is always open to be cut, and funds things sports to keep the governing body going 
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    Gutted for Dina Asher-Smith..

18 months ago she looked unbeatable and was at the top of her game.
    This extra year hasn't been kind to her.
    It hasn't, but she's always been behind 3/4 runners in the 100. 

Not true.
    She won Silver in 100M in Doha at World Championships in 2919.
    True but some of the big guns were missing. Dina could have broken her personal best at the Olympics and still missed out on a medal.  

Seeing the times of the Jamaicans in the 100m you are correct !

Also only just watched the final and love the competitive nature of the Caribbean girls. One year too late for Fraser-Pryce to dominate but I saw the semi final earlier and Thompson-Herah was so impressive.
    Good that Flo-jo's tainted record has gone.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Also if Lottery sales are poor, then it gets really really nasty financially 
  • Options
    Rothko said:
    I was going to say I wonder how much Lottery sales have suffered over the last year.

Do you know how our level of funding compares to similar nations, say France or Germany?
  • Options
    Rothko said:
    I was going to say I wonder how much Lottery sales have suffered over the last year.

Do you know how our level of funding compares to similar nations, say France or Germany?
    Well we've regularly done far better than France and Germany since lottery funding came in, so I imagine our funding is greater
  • Options
    France is about £80m a year for Elite, but they are throwing cash at the Paris 2024 problem, so probably north of £120m now, Germany is about half the French amount, it’s why their Olympic committee is desperate to bid for a games in the next 20 years 
  • Options
    And France is all central government money 
  • Options
    Thanks mate, interesting stuff.
  • Options
    Finally glad to see FloJo's Olympic 100m record beaten. For some time it seems likely she was doped up and it's taken more than 30 years to beat a record that even as an American, I consider tainted.
    I noticed the commentator saying a couple of times "only Florence Griffith Joyner has run faster", which seemed pretty much like saying it was the real world record, rather than the second fastest as the record books say. I definitely agree it's good to get rid of the asterisk from the Olympic record.
  • Options
    Aidan Walsh has pulled out of his fight tonight against Pat McCormack due to an ankle injury so that guarantees McCormack and team GB at least a silver
  • Options
    Not sure if it’s already been mentioned but I watched Gold Rush this week which is a 3 part documentary about the development of athletes between 96 and 2012. A lot of talk about how it was funded and how progression was judged, would recommend it. 
  • Options
    Wow our bmx girl