Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Tokyo Olympics

Comments

• Options
    edited August 2021
    Billy_Mix said:
    Billy_Mix said:
    British 100m relay silver medallist CJ Ujah has been suspended for suspected doping violation
    If that gets confirmed things could get ugly.
    British athletics fans are noisily unsympathetic where drug cheats are concerned and they have long, long memories as Justin Gatlin found out in 2017. 
    When it's a person from a different country yes. 

When it's Linford Christie people are a lot more forgiving. 
    Christie's positive test in 1999 was fully 8 years after he'd competed at the highest level and certainly not at a time his conduct could impact relay teammates.  The substance for which he tested positive had been banned for years, so its appearance in a urine test, so late on in the twilight of his career doesn't fit with the conduct of a committed substance misuser.
    Dwain Chambers certainly wasn't warmly accepted back into the fold after serving his ban for cheating.  BOC and British Athletics only readmitted him years after his IAAF ban had expired and he'd had years of 'clean' test results.
    He's tested positive more than once. 1988 for one, 'herbal tea' I believe it was. 
  • Options
    I thought that was his lunchbox, you know a 12 inch from Subway!! My ghast has never been so flabbered.
  • Options
    Billy_Mix said:
    British 100m relay silver medallist CJ Ujah has been suspended for suspected doping violation
    British athletics fans are noisily unsympathetic where drug cheats are concerned and they have long, long memories as Justin Gatlin found out in 2017. 

I can't believe Linford was taking drugs, everyone know it makes your nob small and that clearly wasn't the case.
    I don't claim to be an expert but doesn't that depend on the drugs? :)
  • Options
    Numerous sprinters have taken drugs and tbh it's never a surprise when this happens.  Missed drugs tests and improved performance late in the career are always a red flag. 

There are a number of runners, including Brits, I've got suspicions about. 
  • Options
    Curb_It said:
    Can do it from a mobile but need to delete the "mobile" from the web address, seems to work then
  • Options
    Billy_Mix said:

In this case I imagine the British public won't be forgiving at all, as he's cost the rest of the team an Olympic medal
  • Options
    Billy_Mix said:

I can't believe Linford was taking drugs, everyone know it makes your nob small and that clearly wasn't the case.
    I don't claim to be an expert but doesn't that depend on the drugs? :)
    Shrinks your balls anyway. Testicular atrophy
  • Options
    Adam Peaty will be doing Strictly Come Dancing this autumn, I'll be looking forward to that
  • Options
    Numerous sprinters have taken drugs and tbh it's never a surprise when this happens.  Missed drugs tests and improved performance late in the career are always a red flag. 

They're all at it. Do people genuinely believe that the USSR and USA dominated the cold war era games with everyone juiced up, and then just stopped giving athletes enhancements? The doctors are one step ahead of the tests, and the testers. Fall foul of a governing body, and that's when you'll get a positive test made public knowledge.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Christine Ohuruogu was banned for a year for missing 3 tests (not a positive test, but 3 occasions when the testers couldn't find her). She was straight back into the team afterwards and no-one said a word. TBH I think the problem athletics fans have with Chambers is that he admitted it, thereby breaking the unwritten rule that UK athletes are always innocent.
  • Options
    Reformed gangster John McVicar insinuated that Christie could not have risen from 156th in the World to triumph when at an age he should have been in decline.  In 1998 Christie took McVicar to court for libel and won.  Six months later Christie tested positive.

McVicar wasn't someone you'd choose to cross.  He referred to Christie as the Judy Garland of the 100 metres - due to Christie's emotional performance in court.
  • Options
    Christine Ohuruogu was banned for a year for missing 3 tests (not a positive test, but 3 occasions when the testers couldn't find her). She was straight back into the team afterwards and no-one said a word. TBH I think the problem athletics fans have with Chambers is that he admitted it, thereby breaking the unwritten rule that UK athletes are always innocent.
    Her behaviour was beyond suspicious...
  • Options
    Chambers looked like someone who'd been on steroids! Like Ben Johnson, anyone who's that muscular raises suspicions...
  • Options
    If you want to know if an Olympian is suspicious or not, look who they train with. 

A lot of doctors and coaches with a lot of dodgy backgrounds. 
  • Options

I have said it before but it's as good as a given that some athletes, and sprinters are most likely, are doping at any given time.  If your beating people that are doping, it's more than likely you are as well.

It wouldn't surprise me at all if any athlete, in any sport, failed a drug test at any given time.  One of the things that does surprise me is how few footballers ever fail tests. 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:

I have said it before but it's as good as a given that some athletes, and sprinters are most likely, are doping at any given time.  If your beating people that are doping, it's more than likely you are as well.

It wouldn't surprise me at all if any athlete, in any sport, failed a drug test at any given time.  One of the things that does surprise me is how few footballers ever fail tests. 
    In sports where skill and knowledge matter more, then there's less reason to dope

A Championship footballer won't become a £100m PL star by doping, if they're still not that good at controlling and kicking a football, seeing a great pass or reading an opposition attack
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:

In sports where skill and knowledge matter more, then there's less reason to dope

A Championship footballer won't become a £100m PL star by doping, if they're still not that good at controlling and kicking a football, seeing a great pass or reading an opposition attack
    Everyone in the Football League has talent. 

Fitness becomes very important at the top end. That's where doping comes in.
  • Options
    I’m not sure doping goes on in elite football. But I can definitely see it going on at youth level. 
  • Options
    I’m not sure doping goes on in elite football. But I can definitely see it going on at youth level. 
    Had a thread on this a while ago. 

It definitely does, there's just very little testing. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Olympic rules for letting transgender women compete will be changed after Tokyo say officials say, as Laurel Hubbard's weightlifting defeat sparks fresh rows over whether it was fair for her to enter

IOC say current guidelines, set in 2015, are not fit for purpose and need refresh

It is expected there will be a push towards each sporting federation setting rules

So basically the IOC are trying to get out of making any decision themselves and putting it on hosts instead. 

Nothing to do with hosts. They’re saying the IAAF needs to set the rules for athletics, UCI needs to set the rules for cycling, etc. 

The advantages, if any, will be based on the sport they participate in. 
    I can't think if an Olympics sport where it is not an advantage to be born with the muscular structure of a man, can you?
    The ones where you ride a horse.
  • Options
    And my mate at Uni who's one of the smartest people I know.
  • Options
    It was great to watch.

In her interview, she said she wants to do skateboarding and surfing at the Paris Olympics.  One of the commentators pointed out how this could be a bit of an issue, what with the skateboarding being in Paris and the surfing in...
    ...Tahiti.
  • Options
    Bruce Springsteen's daughter is competing for the USA in the equestrian events. Didn't ;medal' in the individual, still going in the team event
    It's a shame she didn't do the athletics, what with being born to run and all.
  • Options
    What on earth is that karate with an imaginary opponent all about? 😳

Seriously?
    It's called kata and there are various moves (kicks, block, punches, etc.) that have to be done in a particular order and at a certain tempo.  There are about thirty different ones in shotokan, the version of karate I did, and other versions of karate have their own.  I didn't watch it here but it's normally you and your opponent doing the same one and the victory is given to the person who does it best.

There's also the actual fighting, called kumite.
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    That is awful television - I know what they're doing and I find those highlights confusing.
  • Options
    Wow!
    Archibald & Kenny absolutely smashed that.
    Brilliant 🤩⭐️⭐️🤩
    The only way we could have been more dominant is if it had been a husband and wife event.
  • Options

b sample positive 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/athletics/58559089 
  • Options

b sample positive 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/athletics/58559089 
    If nothing else, it makes Mitchell-Blake's poor final leg which threw away a gold medal less painful for him...
  • Options
    I bet he’s not on their WhatsApp group anymore