Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Tokyo Olympics

Comments

• Options
    Gold for Lauren Price!!
  • Options
    Gold for Kenny in the Keirin. He retains his title and earns his seventh Olympic gold!
    Incredible riding to keep up that pace for the whole race
    Unbelievable after his form earlier, absolute legend!!! 🐐

Would have had at least an extra silver, if not gold, if he had been allowed in the Keirin in 2012.
  • Options
    Really going to miss the early morning viewing of our achievements, seen me through the last few weeks with covid!
    So pleased for Team GB after such a difficult 5 years for everyone.
  • Options
    Kellie Harrington wins gold for Ireland in boxing 🥊 
    Listened to this on the radio.  Wasn't quite sure which way it was going from the commentary, especially as Ferreira was described as strutting away confident of winning after every round.  The scores came in for the second round and I had my heart in my mouth for the third.  Fantastic win.
  • Options
    Kenny was unbelievable! Don’t think I’ve ever seen someone race a cycling final like that. 
  • Options
    It has been a good watch.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    amazing games especially when considering the circumstances it has been held under. 
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    And well done to team GB. And especially all our medallists who done us proud. A good reason to do the lottery.
  • Options
    The Kenyan tracksuit is a rascal 
  • Options
    The US claw their way to the top of the medal table by the end. 39 golds and 113 medals overall compared to China’s 38 golds (88 overall).

Have to say that finishing 4th behind the top two and the host nation is a good result for Team GB. Plenty of medals and success to celebrate (22 gold, 21 silver, 22 bronze).
    Not as many golds as London and Rio but overall similar totals. 65 is the exact same medal total as London 2012, and just 2 down on Rio.
  • Options
    We’re not dependent on one sport either. I think Japan had 9 golds from Judo
  • Options
    Athletics and Rowing were big let downs. Other sports did brilliantly.
  • Options
    Happy we stayed competitive in the cycling, and the swimming was fantastic. Athletics was poor, we only look like competing in relays and middle distances. Rowing looks awful but so many 4th places, only slightly worse than Athletics to be fair. 
  • Options
    Always ignore the host country for their host games, it’s how they maintain that, we have, Brazil haven’t, Japan unlikely too, and be interesting to see if France can build on this one. US and Australian athletes over the next two will have big funding, so see what they do 
  • Options
    Athletics had a reasonable number of medals, bearing in mind how competitive it is with a massive spread of countries winning medals, it just lacked golds 

Rowing is far less competitive, with hardly any developing countries competing 
  • Options
    Great show put on by the French 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Favourite moments?

Enjoyed all the Gold medals obviously, but stand alone moments stood out also. 

I liked the Fiji 7s rugby team's spontaneous song after winning the final - very spiritual.  Keely Hodgkinson's silver in record time - very special at such a young age - and at the other end of the scale, Holly Bradshaw's bronze in the pole vault so richly deserved.
  • Options
    Athletics had a reasonable number of medals, bearing in mind how competitive it is with a massive spread of countries winning medals, it just lacked golds 

Rowing is far less competitive, with hardly any developing countries competing 
    Rowing is very competitive amongst the nations that do take part though. There are numerous reasons why we didn’t medal well. We came 4th a lot more than we might of expected and we were disappointed with this but I take that as a measure of where our expectations are theses days. When I was growing up we’d celebrate a plucky Brit in any final in any sport, we were that far behind. 

• Options
    Wow - French marathon runner deliberately knocking off all the water bottles is a tough watch.

• Options
    edited August 2021
    Absolutely fantastic effort by The Olympic Team, if only a few more of those Silver Medals could have been turned to Gold, some were so very close.
    However, sorry to say but the athletic results were nothing short of scandalous.
    Twenty fourth position in the athletics medal table is embarrassingly pathetic.🧐😡😥
  • Options
    Why do the BBC have just 'Great Britain' listed in their medal tables and not 'Great Britain & NI'?
  • Options
    I thought it would be an Olympics dominated by covid and political protests. How wrong was I! It was a fantastic spectacle and the Japanese did a phenomenal job at hosting. Our medal haul surely surpassed expectations and our chef de mission said that it was GB’s greatest Olympic achievement in view of the challenges faced over the last 18 months. The only disappointment were the rowing and athletics and I imagine GB rowing will be taking a less holistic approach for Paris. Ironically, some the medals we got in athletics we’re not expected. Also great that our gold haul was more that the Germans and French combined. Fantastic 🇬🇧 
  • Options
    Not a single doping case? That must be unique in recent times
  • Options
    Why do the BBC have just 'Great Britain' listed in their medal tables and not 'Great Britain & NI'?
    Did NI contribute? Not a dig, just genuinely dont remember a single one competing for GB
  • Options
    The BBC commentary on the closing ceremony said there had been more different countries winning medals than ever before. I guess we find out in 3 years if that's a developing trend or if it was due in some way to the disrupted preparations for this one. But despite that increasing spread of medals, we managed to match our 2012 total for the second successive games, which apparently has never been done before by any previous host. The lottery has really made a huge difference, funding programmes which otherwise would doubtless have faced government cuts at some point. 

I wasn't sure how much I was looking forward to these games, but they've been brilliant. Well done to the GB competitors, the Japanese organisers and the BBC coverage (despite the drawback of only 2 channels). And now I want to go to Paris in 3 years time, even if only to stand by the roadside during the cycling or the marathon.