Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Tokyo Olympics

Comments

• Options
    The men's modern pentathlon is tomorrow, I assume they'll use the same horses and if they do, will they withdraw that horse?
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    That’s the whole idea though isn’t it?

it meant to represent the skills a soldier may have needed to escape - might need to have a sword fight, swim a river, shoot , run, or grab a strange horse 
    But competition is supposed to be on an equal level for the athletes involved.

At least two of the horses today undermined genuine medal chances - having better selection in place, concentrating on temperament, etc., is a basic requirement to make the competition less of a Russian roulette.

Failing that, have the show-jumping be the first event.
    I’m pretty sure I head afterwards it was actually he same horse that the Russian and German ladies got that led to both their disqualification, probably a Polish horse 😉
    It does seem harsh but then there are always some unfair variables in sport, how many cyclists and racing drivers have lost events because of punctures and mechanicals
    For what it's worth, I agree about the cyclists and racing drivers, but in both cases, they will have been involved in the selection/development of what's used.

The reason I said at least two of the horses was that, as well as Saint Boy causing absolute heartbreak for Annika Schleu, Constantin refused for both the Uzbek competitor and Natalya Coyle (who went from 4th to 19th), but at least, unlike Schleu and 5 others she did manage to score in this round.

While I don't really have a problem with the idea of having neutral horses, they need to be better chosen and should not be shared (IMHO), a horse that has already refused the jumps can hardly be expected to act as if nothing had happened if facing the same course within a matter of minutes.

The scores in the round tell the story.  I don't watch Modern Pentathlon a lot, but there is no way that so many should have scored as low as they did, unless the course was fiendishly difficult (which the better scores would suggest it wasn't).
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

it meant to represent the skills a soldier may have needed to escape - might need to have a sword fight, swim a river, shoot , run, or grab a strange horse 

At least two of the horses today undermined genuine medal chances - having better selection in place, concentrating on temperament, etc., is a basic requirement to make the competition less of a Russian roulette.

I’m pretty sure I head afterwards it was actually he same horse that the Russian and German ladies got that led to both their disqualification, probably a Polish horse 😉
    It does seem harsh but then there are always some unfair variables in sport, how many cyclists and racing drivers have lost events because of punctures and mechanicals
    For what it's worth, I agree about the cyclists and racing drivers, but in both cases, they will have been involved in the selection/development of what's used.

The reason I said at least two of the horses was that, as well as Saint Boy causing absolute heartbreak for Annika Schleu, Constantin refused for both the Uzbek competitor and Natalya Coyle (who went from 4th to 19th), but at least, unlike Schleu and 5 others she did manage to score in this round.

While I don't really have a problem with the idea of having neutral horses, they need to be better chosen and should not be shared (IMHO), a horse that has already refused the jumps can hardly be expected to act as if nothing had happened if facing the same course within a matter of minutes.

The scores in the round tell the story.  I don't watch Modern Pentathlon a lot, but there is no way that so many should have scored as low as they did, unless the course was fiendishly difficult (which the better scores would suggest it wasn't).
    Just now Samantha Murray on the BBC (who's competed against Schleu at London and Rio) thought it was mainly down to Schleu, and that the tension she was feeling and expressing to the horse put it off

I guess we will never know whether a better rider could have coped with that horse
  • Options
    Poxy Italians again 
    The anchor leg athlete who won the individual 100m has performed amazingly
    The guy who ran the anchor leg was not the guy that won the 100m individual. He ran the 2nd or 3rd leg I think?

• Options
    Poxy Italians again 
    The guy who ran the anchor leg was not the guy that won the 100m individual. He ran the 2nd or 3rd leg I think?

Yeah the anchor runner only made the semi’s.
  • Options
    Poxy Italians again 

Jacobs, the Italian individual 100 metre gold medallist, ran the second leg in the 4 x 100 metre relay.
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

Just now Samantha Murray on the BBC (who's competed against Schleu at London and Rio) thought it was mainly down to Schleu, and that the tension she was feeling and expressing to the horse put it off

I guess we will never know whether a better rider could have coped with that horse
    I don't think it would have made any difference, the horse was going backwards from the beginning, IMHO Schleu, or any rider, would have found a horse that didn't want to be there as much as Saint Boy rideable. 

Requiring that a competitor use a horse that had proved shortly beforehand that it was already highly stressed and unwilling to jump in the competition is unreasonable.

And, the rules of the competition strictly limit what a rider can do to attempt to control the horse (a good thing IMHO).

Yes Schleu was upset and it showed, but, even before she had managed to get to the first fence, Saint Boy had destroyed her advantage.  She knew that he was destroying her Olympic dreams.
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

I take your point about  being able to choose your equipment in other sports although often it is not the athlete’s choice and comes down to sponsorship. It does I agree seem especially harsh to be leading an event and end up DQ’d because of a clumpy horse you had nothing to do with. But sport entertains because of the level of jeopardy involved.
  • Options
    Poxy Italians again 

Oh yeah, not sure why I wrote that! Anyway 2 out of this world performances
  • Options
    Kate French .. to excel at five disparate disciplines is remarkable
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Watching the handball on Eurosport. What a great sport.
  • Options
    I saw one live game in 2012. Enjoyable to watch, but what struck me is that what makes football more interesting to watch than other ball games like Basketball, Handball or Water Polo (which I also saw live in 2012) is that you can tackle, whereas in the other sports the two teams are alternating shots with little opportunity to steal the ball in the meantime
  • Options
    Have tried for several Olympics to watch handball and it just doesn’t do it for me. 
  • Options
    Nice to see the early morning spectators scattered along the marathon route. 
  • Options
    I'm looking forward to seeing the Madison, that sounded great.  In complete contrast, I saw the the penalty shootout between Canada and Sweden and it was a complete joke.
  • Options
    Stig said:
    I'm looking forward to seeing the Madison, that sounded great.  In complete contrast, I saw the the penalty shootout between Canada and Sweden and it was a complete joke.
    You're too late, we released him in May, and he's now at Spalding  ;)
  • Options
    Hard to get too patriotic about someone who's spent their entire life in the US or Japan.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/olympics/57998750
    Don't really understand why she's representing GB - seems to have far more connection to the US or Japan.
    British father. Not sure how her connection to the US trumps that.
  • Options
    Saw a game at London 2012 and it was great.

hockey is still my favourite Olympic team sport 
  • Options
    Bronze medal for Tom Daley. Fantastic achievement - the final rounds were brutal and the two Chinese lads who beat him were out of this world.
  • Options
    thought the silver medalist was bit unlucky and under marked in final round. 

Didn’t look too happy at the end 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    A German coach has been thrown out of the Olympics for appearing to punch a horse who was refusing to jump or trot during the modern pentathlon.
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    thought the silver medalist was bit unlucky and under marked in final round. 

Didn’t look too happy at the end 
    Yes, the Spanish commentators thought he had a fair point.
  • Options
    How did Germany end up with - 6 points after cycling round the track 200 times in the men's Madison? Seems harsh. 

Was the silver explained, as we ended with same points as France? 
  • Options
    MrWalker said:
    How did Germany end up with - 6 points after cycling round the track 200 times in the men's Madison? Seems harsh. 

Position at the end of the final sprint is the tie breaker
  • Options
    MrWalker said:

If you get lapped by the entire field you get -20 points

Just as you get 20-pts for lapping the whole field
  • Options
    Men's madison is 50 Kilometres distance rode at 60 kph.  Jeez.
  • Options
    Gold in the boxing, Galal Yafai
  • Options
    Cheers for the answers. Compelling viewing. Not seen it before. 
  • Options
    How on earth did one judge give it to the other bloke? He got given an 8 count in one round ffs. Any sport that requires judges is flawed.
  • Options
    McBobbin said:
    Gold in the boxing, Galal Yafai
    Precision boxing.
    Will be inspirational in gyms up and down the country.