Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Tokyo Olympics

Comments

• Options
    Why do the BBC have just 'Great Britain' listed in their medal tables and not 'Great Britain & NI'?
    Did NI contribute? Not a dig, just genuinely dont remember a single one competing for GB
    Think someone said a few pages back that the Northern Irish tend to choose Ireland over GB at the Olympics
  • Options
    Considering Asher-Smith hammy problem which affected her in the individual 100 and 200 and Johnson-Thomson breaking down in the Pentathlon we did really well with unexpected medals by Hodgkinson, Kerr and Bradshaw getting medals and Muir running the race of her life to win silver in the 1500 against two of the best 1500m runners ever.

Still  unsure how we didn't win gold in the men's sprint relay and a good bronze by the woman also in the sprint relay.

Reekie tried to win the 800 in a brave effort and unfortunately she then lost out on 3rd. 

With the amazing Carribbean runners and USA runners in the sprints and the African runners so strong from 1500 upwards we competed well. 

Not forgetting the awesome talents of the Norwegians, Warholm in the 400 m hurdles and the 20 year old whizz kid Jakob Ingebrigtsen who won a brilliant 1500M.
  • Options
    Rothko said:
    Always ignore the host country for their host games, it’s how they maintain that, we have, Brazil haven’t, 
    Brazil actually did better in Tokyo than when they hosted it in Rio! 21 medals in 2020 compared to 19 in 2016, with the two extras being bronzes.

Though they were helped by the of additions of Surfing and Skateboarding which gave them 4 medals (1 gold). 
  • Options
    Not a single doping case? That must be unique in recent times
    Let's see what happens in the next week or so. Rumours that the IOC have delayed some results until after the games.
  • Options
    The discovery coverage was absolutely fantastic. The bbc can do one. 
  • Options
    Why do the BBC have just 'Great Britain' listed in their medal tables and not 'Great Britain & NI'?
    Did NI contribute? Not a dig, just genuinely dont remember a single one competing for GB
    Think someone said a few pages back that the Northern Irish tend to choose Ireland over GB at the Olympics
    If nothing else it's a lot easier to get in the Ireland team. 

Would an N Irish competitor still get lottery funding if they represented Ireland though?
  • Options
    We are definitely seeing a new generation of competitors, inspired by previous winners

For example there seems to be a good number of Welsh women doing well in combat sports, I imagine partially inspired by Jade Jones
  • Options
    Considering Asher-Smith hammy problem which affected her in the individual 100 and 200 and Johnson-Thomson breaking down in the Pentathlon we did really well with unexpected medals by Hodgkinson, Kerr and Bradshaw getting medals and Muir running the race of her life to win silver in the 1500 against two of the best 1500m runners ever.

Still  unsure how we didn't win gold in the men's sprint relay and a good bronze by the woman also in the sprint relay.

Reekie tried to win the 800 in a brave effort and unfortunately she then lost out on 3rd. 

With the amazing Carribbean runners and USA runners in the sprints and the African runners so strong from 1500 upwards we competed well. 

Not forgetting the awesome talents of the Norwegians, Warholm in the 400 m hurdles and the 20 year old whizz kid Jakob Ingebrigtsen who won a brilliant 1500M.
    We came 24th in the athletics medal table…..yes, well done to those that got a medal but that’s not acceptable!
  • Options

In the run up to the Rio Olympics in 2016, Team GB actually put out a statement explaining the name for those who are curious.

It said: “The British Olympic Association (BOC) is the National Olympic Committee (NOC) for Great Britain and Northern Ireland, the Isle of Man, the Channel Islands and the UK Overseas Territories (including the Falkland Islands and Gibraltar).

“As such, neither ‘UK’ or ‘GB’ accurately describes the BOA’s remit nor would they be representative of all the territories that fall under the BOA’s jurisdiction.

• Options
    Team GB is just a really good bit of branding, that brings in decent money into the BOA, and for example Adidas love, as GB is about the only nation where it can sell its kit to the public at any scale.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

We came 24th in the athletics medal table…..yes, well done to those that got a medal but that’s not acceptable!
    I quite agree. It is a recipe to get fewer and fewer medals if we don't demand medals for considerable bucks. There are people on more than decent salaries charged with achieving this. If we want to refer to previous times, great, but we shouldn't forget the financial element today.
  • Options
    edited August 2021

There can only be one winner in each event, to be that one athlete you have to be pretty special. Injuries can happen to anyone.
  • Options

Is that not the point though? Countries like Norway producing world class athletes and us not? 

Although in fairness, KTJ's injury stripped us of a pretty much guaranteed medal, possibly the gold. I think Dina could have won a medal in the 200m, although doubt she could have got the gold nor a medal in the 100. Middle distance was massive success with all 3 women/men making the 800 and 1500 respectively with two medals on top of Muir's. Future looks bright but Dina aside spring isn't that great, nor the jumps although Bradshaw got a medal. 

For anyone that cares, BBC have a decent article about performance against funding, and also informs about how funding has been increased/cut for Paris:
    Tokyo Olympics: A look at how Team GB fared sport-by-sport compared to their funding. - BBC Sport
  • Options
    Mmmm…….were we the only country that had injuries…..I suspect not?
    You can dress it up whatever way you want ME14 but 24th is abysmal.

• Options
    If nothing else it's a lot easier to get in the Ireland team. 

Would an N Irish competitor still get lottery funding if they represented Ireland though?
    Listened to a podcast recently, it seems that they get funded by both.
  • Options
    I am surprised Rowing gets more than Athletics.
  • Options
    I am surprised Rowing gets more than Athletics.
    Costs, capital and expenses cost of Rowing super expensive, and UK Sport money pays for equipment and getting to major events 
  • Options
    https://olympics.com/tokyo-2020/olympic-games/en/results/all-sports/multi-medalists.htm

The official website is interesting, as you can see the medal tables for individual sports and individuals

It always feels slightly unfair to me when comparing the career medal haul of competitors in different sports, as in some sports you can really rack up the medal totals whereas in others you only have one shot. How many medals would Steve Redgrave have won if Rowers were physically able to compete in several events per Olympics!

Swimming is especially good for that, with all its different strokes, race lengths and relays. Guy James for example is joint 10th in the individual medal table for Tokyo with 2 golds and a silver for GB all in relays, yet most people won't have heard of him!
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    Jessie said:
    Great Britain did a fantastic job considering the size/population of the country. Congratulations. Well done👏👏👏

Thanks @Jessie pleased you can see how much our Athletes give for the cause as all world athletes have to. GB funding can go down as well as up. 
    The powers that be last century for a decade thought we would stop having competitive sports days at school. Some still don't. Ok it has merit in sport for all but once you take the competive element out of Sport you would end up with everyone being average. So clubs in every sport going in recent decades have filled the gap were schools other than a few dedicated sport school like Millfield in Somerset and The Whitgift School in South Croydon (only part of Croydon which is half decent !) GB Gold medal modern Pentathlon winner Joe Choong: son of successful Chinese/ Malaysian businessman who came to England and met and married an English lady and Joe was born in Orpington and went to School at Whitgift before going to the university of Bath where he studied Mathematics.

We do need to be careful in how hard athletes and competitors push themselves with mental health issues but to take on the world's best you need to train like a professional whether there is money in your sport or not. No correlation in being a part time sportsman in most sports and winning medals.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Mmmm…….were we the only country that had injuries…..I suspect not?
    You can dress it up whatever way you want ME14 but 24th is abysmal.

Athletics

Funding amount: £23,007,531

Medals: 6 (3 silver, 3 bronze)

Athletics funding was cut from £26,824,206 after the 2016 Games, at which GB won two golds, one silver and four bronzes.

Keely Hodgkinson and Laura Muir both broke British records as they claimed silver in the women's 800m and 1500m respectively, while the quartet of CJ Ujah, Nethaneel Mitchell-Blake, Richard Kilty and Zharnel Hughes missed out on the 4x100m title by just a hundredth of a second.

There were bronze medals for Josh Kerr in the men's 1500m, Holly Bradshaw in the women's pole vault, and in the women's 4x100m for Asha Philip, Imani-Lara Lansiquot, Dina Asher-Smith and Daryll Neita.

The above was taken from the BBC Sport website, so we won one medal fewer than in 2016 which is not very different in terms of medals. The difference was that Mo Farah won 2 golds in Rio and nobody won a gold in Tokyo.  To win a gold medal you have to be one of the world's best athletes and the world is a very big place, it is not easy to be that one person who wins the gold and no amount of money can make someone the best if they don't have the ability in the first place. 

• Options
    MrOneLung said:
    Only 5 nations won more medals than us in the athletics. 

It just happens we didn’t get a gold which is why we are so low down. 
    Yeah that's a fair point. All in all, I guess it was ok. My slight concern was that other than the medals we won, we didn't compete enough. Other than Rekkie, I don't remember any 4th placed athletes and I do recall watching quite a few finals without any representation at all. There's definite room for improvement. 
  • Options
    https://olympics.com/tokyo-2020/olympic-games/en/results/all-sports/multi-medalists.htm

The official website is interesting, as you can see the medal tables for individual sports and individuals

It always feels slightly unfair to me when comparing the career medal haul of competitors in different sports, as in some sports you can really rack up the medal totals whereas in others you only have one shot. How many medals would Steve Redgrave have won if Rowers were physically able to compete in several events per Olympics!

Swimming is especially good for that, with all its different strokes, race lengths and relays. Guy James for example is joint 10th in the individual medal table for Tokyo with 2 golds and a silver for GB all in relays, yet most people won't have heard of him!

I'm a sports geek and I have never heard of Guy James ?

I know James Guy who is a very successful swimmer from the last two Olympics ! Even if he does get emotional.

It shows how much of an impression he's made on me that I got his name the wrong way round  :D

I remember his animated reaction, but not his name. And if you were to ask the public to name decorated Olympians, I doubt many would name him (a good question for Pointless in the future)
  • Options
    Other than Rio, the most medals ever on our travels. Superb effort.
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

Yeah that's a fair point. All in all, I guess it was ok. My slight concern was that other than the medals we won, we didn't compete enough. Other than Rekkie, I don't remember any 4th placed athletes and I do recall watching quite a few finals without any representation at all. There's definite room for improvement. 
    It's certainly disappointing when you see events where we've been successful in the past, with no British competitors or no competitive ones

Where are the Javelin throwers to follow the likes of Sanderson, Whitbread, Backley, Sayers?
    And in the Heptathlon, where is the youngster coming through? Previously there was always a youngster there, ready to continue the line - Lewis, Sotherton, Ennis then KJT
    Nobody in the Decathlon, no decent 400m runners etc
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

It's certainly disappointing when you see events where we've been successful in the past, with no British competitors or no competitive ones

Where are the Javelin throwers to follow the likes of Sanderson, Whitbread, Backley, Sayers?
    And in the Heptathlon, where is the youngster coming through? Previously there was always a youngster there, ready to continue the line - Lewis, Sotherton, Ennis then KJT
    Nobody in the Decathlon, no decent 400m runners etc
    There was Morgan Lake in the Heptathlon but she now just competes in the High Jump. Agreed though, the 400 particularly is woeful, especially for the men. 
  • Options

I'm a sports geek and I have never heard of Guy James ?

I know James Guy who is a very successful swimmer from the last two Olympics ! Even if he does get emotional.

So much so you think KJT competes in the Pentathlon ;)