Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Tokyo Olympics

Comments

• Options
    Why do the BBC have just 'Great Britain' listed in their medal tables and not 'Great Britain & NI'?
    Did NI contribute? Not a dig, just genuinely dont remember a single one competing for GB
    Some did, in women's rowing and men's hockey.

But more represented Ireland, including Shirley McCay, in her swansong in the women's hockey team.

Ireland managed qualification and relatively decent results across a range of sports with very limited funding, I'd expect that the Irish Olympic organisations will be hoping to build on the results.

As an aside, loved Kellie Harrington and the other medallists' group hug at the medal ceremony.
  • Options
    I’ll give Athletics a pass, 43 different nations won medals in the athletics (if I misheard this, then someone will put me right) it’s probably the hardest sport to win consistently at. 
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    Also seen Ed Warner passing his views, and as much as I like Ed, his time with Niels de Vos, didn’t put the building blocks in place, and they spent a lot of time giving the home nations federations shit instead of supporting them 
  • Options
    better than I expected, though I didn't watch an awful lot .. GB did well and so they should given the large millions granted by the lottery punters
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    Thoroughly enjoyed that! Saw far more than ever before, and I covered two Olympics (1988 and 2012). 
    Was dubious about skateboarding, but loved it. Great sportsmanship/camaraderie on display. Young people seem to be much nicer/kinder than my generation. 
    Just watched the Beeb’s closing film sequence. Real tear jerker. Emotional stuff. 
    They did well covering the games under difficult circumstances. 
  • Options
    That’s fascinating! Incredible what can be done with technology now. 
  • Options
    That set was amazing, especially the Tokyo skyline behind it
  • Options
    USA top medal table again
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    We also won medals in more different sports than any other nation 
  • Options
    That set was amazing, especially the Tokyo skyline behind it
    I think it was a bit too ambitious and looked fake as a consequence.
  • Options
    Table ranks countries by medals per million population with San Marino at the top
  • Options
    British 100m relay silver medallist CJ Ujah has been suspended for suspected doping violation
  • Options
    British 100m relay silver medallist CJ Ujah has been suspended for suspected doping violation
    Shit!
  • Options
    The rest of the quartet will be devasted
  • Options
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/olympics/58193282

Meanwhile out of the blue Olympic 100m champion Lamont Marcell Jacobs won't compete again this year...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Curb_It said:
    Seems like a nice bloke, for a stripey...
  • Options
    As he's British it must surely be a mistake in testing.

If he's a foreigner then drugged up to the eyeballs.
  • Options
    iaitch said:
    As he's British it must surely be a mistake in testing.

If he's a foreigner then drugged up to the eyeballs.
    I bet the foreign cheating bastards, spiked our plucky Brits sample, or something, bloody french!.
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    Curb_It said:
    You can't do it on the mobile site, you have to do it in the main site, just click on </> and then paste the link in.

• Options
    If that gets confirmed things could get ugly.
    British athletics fans are noisily unsympathetic where drug cheats are concerned and they have long, long memories as Justin Gatlin found out in 2017. 
  • Options
    Billy_Mix said:
    British athletics fans are noisily unsympathetic where drug cheats are concerned and they have long, long memories as Justin Gatlin found out in 2017. 
    When it's a person from a different country yes. 

When it's Linford Christie people are a lot more forgiving. 
  • Options
    Billy_Mix said:
    When it's a person from a different country yes. 

When it's Linford Christie people are a lot more forgiving. 
    Christie's positive test in 1999 was fully 8 years after he'd competed at the highest level and certainly not at a time his conduct could impact relay teammates.  The substance for which he tested positive had been banned for years, so its appearance in a urine test, so late on in the twilight of his career doesn't fit with the conduct of a committed substance misuser.
    Dwain Chambers certainly wasn't warmly accepted back into the fold after serving his ban for cheating.  BOC and British Athletics only readmitted him years after his IAAF ban had expired and he'd had years of 'clean' test results.