Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Tokyo Olympics

Comments

• Options
    MrWalker said:
    MrOneLung said:
    I don’t know if it’s because she’s so good, but Laura Kenny does it for me. What a woman.
    Seems to have a lovely attitude and personality too!
    Apart from when she cheated on her boyfriend during 2012 Olympics obviously 
    Didn't happen, according to Laura and her parents. 
    Fair enough, just remember there was stuff about her and boyfriend during the Olympics then suddenly she was caught out with Jason Kenny
  • Options
    Cruel watching the Modern Pentathlon. German rider who was in first place just lost any chance of a medal as her horse refused to jump the fences. Seems a bit unfair that they get assigned random horses. The German might be in a bit of trouble too, she didn't take too kindly to the horse doing her over!
    Just saw that, that was heartbreaking. That horse had destroyed the chances of a Russian competitor earlier, so she was probably fearing the worst
    I'm evil because I was smiling a bit. Only at first, when she was sobbing I realised I was being a knob. The Brit was a long way behind and has just won the gold, but a decent jumping round from the German and not sure she would have. 
  • Options
    Super impressive in the laser run, she looked so cool out there
  • Options
    Cruel watching the Modern Pentathlon. German rider who was in first place just lost any chance of a medal as her horse refused to jump the fences. Seems a bit unfair that they get assigned random horses. The German might be in a bit of trouble too, she didn't take too kindly to the horse doing her over!
    Just saw that, that was heartbreaking. That horse had destroyed the chances of a Russian competitor earlier, so she was probably fearing the worst
    Same thing happened for the Uzbek and Irish competitors (who both rode Constantin, who refused fences for both riders).

Looking at the German rider's experience, you have to question the selection of the horses for the event, imagine trying to just start your round and the horse refusing (losing a quarter of your allotted time).  
  • Options
    The modern pentathlon will change dramatically for Paris.  It'll be done and dusted in 90 minutes apparently.
  • Options
    I'm evil because I was smiling a bit. Only at first, when she was sobbing I realised I was being a knob. The Brit was a long way behind and has just won the gold, but a decent jumping round from the German and not sure she would have. 
    A few different thoughts for me.
    Felt for the German , hard watching her in tears.
    The thing is though those in the modern pentathlon now if that horse doesn't go no matter whatever they do in the other events its game over.
    Horrible watch,  but if these athletes want to spend 4 years training to be let down by a horse good luck to them.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    MrOneLung said:
    I don’t know if it’s because she’s so good, but Laura Kenny does it for me. What a woman.
    What?
    She was caught smooching Mr Kenny, I think it was at the beach volley ball in horse guards?

He wasn't, at the time, the current Mr Trott.  To be honest I have no idea if there was a current partner. 
    So there was no issue?
  • Options
    Robot horses the way forward.... 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    MrOneLung said:
    What?
    She was caught smooching Mr Kenny, I think it was at the beach volley ball in horse guards?

He wasn't, at the time, the current Mr Trott.  To be honest I have no idea if there was a current partner. 
    So there was no issue?
    As stated my recollection was she had a fella and then got caught with Jason Kenny 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    So unfair as she was leading before. Have to wonder whether the horse was really fit for purpose as it caused issues for the other rider too.
  • Options
    Handling a horse you've never met before is clearly a major skill, but sometimes I guess you get a bolshy horse that nobody could tame...
  • Options
    That’s the whole idea though isn’t it?

it meant to represent the skills a soldier may have needed to escape - might need to have a sword fight, swim a river, shoot , run, or grab a strange horse 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    MrOneLung said:
    What?

So there was no issue?
    It was a month after she split with her previous (cyclist) boyfriend. 
    So IMO, no cheating.
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

it meant to represent the skills a soldier may have needed to escape - might need to have a sword fight, swim a river, shoot , run, or grab a strange horse 
    I like that they combined the running and shooting, as that replicates "real life" far more than separate running and shooting
  • Options
    Brilliant run Laura 
  • Options
    Easy to spot the Scottish runner out there, someone who’s never seen any sun  :D
  • Options
    That was amazing. Superb run.
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    That was an epic 1500 race. British record and beating the fantastic Hassan into 3rd place.

Superb silver by Laura Muir. Athletic medals are so difficult.

Kipyegon retaining the gold 5 years apart is an awesome achievement.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Man, so pleased for her. 
  • Options
    That was a very ropey relay!
  • Options
    I'm proper sick of Italy this year
  • Options
    Poxy Italians again 
  • Options
    Gutting for the GB relay team. Silver by one hundredth of a second
  • Options
    It's weird the psychology of sport, the women get a bronze and it's a success, the men get a silver and it's devastation for the guy on the anchor leg
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

But competition is supposed to be on an equal level for the athletes involved.

At least two of the horses today undermined genuine medal chances - having better selection in place, concentrating on temperament, etc., is a basic requirement to make the competition less of a Russian roulette.

Failing that, have the show-jumping be the first event.
  • Options
    Poxy Italians again 
    The anchor leg athlete who won the individual 100m has performed amazingly
  • Options
    Italy had an amazing few weeks
    Lucky sods
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

But competition is supposed to be on an equal level for the athletes involved.

At least two of the horses today undermined genuine medal chances - having better selection in place, concentrating on temperament, etc., is a basic requirement to make the competition less of a Russian roulette.

Failing that, have the show-jumping be the first event.
    I’m pretty sure I head afterwards it was actually he same horse that the Russian and German ladies got that led to both their disqualification, probably a Polish horse 😉
    It does seem harsh but then there are always some unfair variables in sport, how many cyclists and racing drivers have lost events because of punctures and mechanicals