Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Tokyo Olympics

Comments

• edited August 2021
    Laddick01 said:
    The talk about how transgender athletes were going to 'dominate' events and have an unfair advantage. 

She didn't perform a single successful lift and the Chinese athlete has lifted more than Hubbard has in her lifetime. 

It's grossly unfair on the New Zealand athletes and other women who did not qualify based on that place being taken up by a person who was a man and competitive weightlifter until their mid 30s and now identifies as a women having taken their place based on inherent biological advantages.
    Not true, Laurel Hubbard said she quit lifting when she was 21 and then only started lifting again after her transition. 
    So a previously non elite male athlete was able to qualify for the women’s competition. 

Surely that’s more damming for this argument? 
    She broke records as a junior male. 

We don't know how she would have competed as an adult male. 

Would have got nowhere near the men's olympics which kind of proves the point.  No born female would qualify for the male weightlifting events because of the inherent physiological differences that go deeper than hormone and testosterone.  

I sympathise for Hubbard and I am sure she did not want to be thrust into the media spotlight but have far greater sympathy for women who have been hugely and unfairly disadvantaged and missed out on the olympics because of Hubbard's unfair advantage inherent of being born in a male body.
    How do you know that for a fact? 

She is training just as hard as all the other female weightlifters around the world. If she did have an unfair advantage she would win. 

There a huge amount of stories about how men not at world-level quality manage to beat world-level females. Surely if Laurel was getting so much advantage, she'd do the same after training 24/7 for the event? 
  • Laddick01 said:
    The talk about how transgender athletes were going to 'dominate' events and have an unfair advantage. 

She didn't perform a single successful lift and the Chinese athlete has lifted more than Hubbard has in her lifetime. 

It's grossly unfair on the New Zealand athletes and other women who did not qualify based on that place being taken up by a person who was a man and competitive weightlifter until their mid 30s and now identifies as a women having taken their place based on inherent biological advantages.
    Not true, Laurel Hubbard said she quit lifting when she was 21 and then only started lifting again after her transition. 
    So a previously non elite male athlete was able to qualify for the women’s competition. 

Surely that’s more damming for this argument? 
    She broke records as a junior male. 

We don't know how she would have competed as an adult male. 

Would have got nowhere near the men's olympics which kind of proves the point.  No born female would qualify for the male weightlifting events because of the inherent physiological differences that go deeper than hormone and testosterone.  

I sympathise for Hubbard and I am sure she did not want to be thrust into the media spotlight but have far greater sympathy for women who have been hugely and unfairly disadvantaged and missed out on the olympics because of Hubbard's unfair advantage inherent of being born in a male body.

I don't know it for a fact because it is unprovable.  However the junior records in new Zealand that Hubbard set aged 20 and male do not translate to likely elite Olympic male lifts.

Regardless,  the point being that as a male he held a junior weight lifting record which is no mean feat AND was born male and therefore has significant advantage over women who were born female as there are inherent physiological differences when it comes to strength and athletics beyond the arbitrary testosterone/ hormone levels that have been ushered in to give a false perception of fairness and level playing field.

• Would have got nowhere near the men's olympics which kind of proves the point.  No born female would qualify for the male weightlifting events because of the inherent physiological differences that go deeper than hormone and testosterone.  

She is training just as hard as all the other female weightlifters around the world. If she did have an unfair advantage she would win. 

There a huge amount of stories about how men not at world-level quality manage to beat world-level females. Surely if Laurel was getting so much advantage, she'd do the same after training 24/7 for the event? 
    How on earth do you deduce that 'if she had an unfair advantage she would have won'? That is ridiculous logic. She has an unfair advantage but still didn't win.

• Would have got nowhere near the men's olympics which kind of proves the point.  No born female would qualify for the male weightlifting events because of the inherent physiological differences that go deeper than hormone and testosterone.  

How on earth do you deduce that 'if she had an unfair advantage she would have won'? That is ridiculous logic. She has an unfair advantage but still didn't win.

Let's see how many 40 year old biological females are competing at the Olympics
  • Shoot out in the hockey. I hope Gareth Southgate has chosen the right 5
  • The incredible number of events we now get medals in really impressive. It's not as if we just do well in a small number of sports any more
    Back ya winners and invest in them, hopefully UK Sports (and Sport England's) funding is secure through to Brisbane
  • Sponsored links:

• McBobbin said:

Sorry, I don't get your point. So being young is an unfair advantage?

I don't think all gold medals are entirely equal though. All amazing and justified in their own way, just not entirely comparable.

I also don't think it is completely fair to compare total of medals won e.g.  Charlotte Dujardin compared to Katherine Grainger. I think the 62 year old Australian eventer demonstrates it is possible to compete for longer and at a greater age in some sports than others. Also, some sports such as swimming and gymnastics have the opportunity to compete in multi-events.
  • Gotta love those hockey penalties.
  • MrWalker said:
    Gotta love those hockey penalties.
    Keep the semi and final to nil nil, and play for the shoot out! Spain didn't look like scoring

Because you chose to ignore my last point completely. 

Because you chose to ignore my last point completely. 
    No I didn't. Just because you have an advantage, unfair or otherwise, doesn't mean you would win.

Have you seen the comments by trans golfer Alison Perkins who doesn't think she should compete against women?

• MrWalker said:
    Gotta love those hockey penalties.
    Genuinely think they'd be better in football than normal penalties (in a shoot-out only).  Got.tried in the MLS & dismissed as a daft Americanism, but I think they are more exciting and there's more skill to scoring and saving them.
  • I enjoyed the shootout, but normally thought they try to hit it early where the goalie isn't set and harder for them to cover all angles. Obviously i am no expert but i was surprised everyone kept trying to trick the keeper, some good penalties by our girls and our keeper done well. 

It does seem tough to pass the keeper the nearer you get, or maybe its just different tactics eg. shoot earlier and should be harder for the keeper in theory. 
  • Laurel Hubbard out of the olympics you say? But what happened to her walking all over the competition because of the gender she was born as? 😂😂😂😂😂😂 some people on here have made themselves look silly and bigoted! 
  • Rather poor coverage of the athletics then. Yes the BBC is restricted, but weird that on the main channel they only showed 10 seconds of the 3000m steeplechase
  • Here we go.....
  • Sponsored links:

• Rather poor coverage of the athletics then. Yes the BBC is restricted, but weird that on the main channel they only showed 10 seconds of the 3000m steeplechase
    But they find time to show an interview with Megan Rapinoe and woffle about her
  • McBobbin said:

Sorry, I don't get your point. So being young is an unfair advantage?

I don't think all gold medals are entirely equal though. All amazing and justified in their own way, just not entirely comparable.

I also don't think it is completely fair to compare total of medals won e.g.  Charlotte Dujardin compared to Katherine Grainger. I think the 62 year old Australian eventer demonstrates it is possible to compete for longer and at a greater age in some sports than others. Also, some sports such as swimming and gymnastics have the opportunity to compete in multi-events.
    No, I'm saying that her having grown up as a man is an unfair advantage over biological women, and that only because she's significantly older than the other weightlifters the advantage is diminished. I wasn't clear.
    Was the same with the 100m  :/

that is only a 10 second race though tbf
  • Laurel Hubbard out of the olympics you say? But what happened to her walking all over the competition because of the gender she was born as? 😂😂😂😂😂😂 some people on here have made themselves look silly and bigoted! 
    Looking back, I don't think anyone did. The consensus was she had some unfair advantage not that she would necessarily win. But if she did, it would be unfair on others.

It isn't clear how much advantage and it will vary in different sports and whether the transitioning was before or after puberty etc.

Surely the onus is to find a way forward that allows everyone to compete fairly - it seems highly unlikely debating on here is going to change anyone's opinion.
    This would of been a much better wind up if you’d posted it an hour ago. You missed your chance.
  • really noticing the lack of coverage the BBC can show now - it's just basically a chat show with some highlights thrown in.

where as the 10 Eurosport channels are showing everything, it's brilliant.

I'm loving the Handball

She got there in the first place by virtue of the physiological advantages afforded by being born a man added to a background of competitive weight lifting to the detriment of elite women lifters who lack that inherent advantage.

It's wholly unfair to those women and nothing about bigotry or ignorance.

There is real bigotry in sneering at those who dare to question the fairness and legitimacy of these new ideas that we are all expected to believe unquestionably or be deemed bigots.

Very 1984.

In weight lifting terms she fell at the very first hurdle. So is it an inherent advantage or not? Because the results seem to tell me otherwise.

Theres real bigotry on not admitting making a ridiculous judgement before seeing the results, then reframing the debate as something else so you don’t look like you were wrong and bigoted from the beginning. “We have always been at war with eastasia”. Very 1984 indeed. 
  • Since when was acknowledging male pubity is a thing bigotry?  Classic you don't agree with me so your a bigot.

If only there was another thread where this could be debated to death..... Again.