Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Tokyo Olympics

Comments

• Options
    I wouldn't want us to go through instead of them because of that, but I would like to see him seriously punished for endangering a fellow competitor. 
  • Options
    Huskaris said:
    I wouldn't want us to go through instead of them because of that, but I would like to see him seriously punished for endangering a fellow competitor. 
    Defo routing for the other country in the final. Yeah he should be punished individually, it was his fault and dangerous
  • Options
    he literally wasn't even looking, we had right of way - he should be banned from the final and their reserve made to ride
  • Options
    Well if your going to not win it that's one way to go out. 
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    How does this 3 man 3 lap sprint work, looks like 1 rider drops off each lap - therefore surely all you need is 1 really quick bloke over 3 laps (ie I could ride the first lap with 2 others and it would make no difference!)

why isn't it just 1 bloke racing 3 laps??, what's the point of the other 2 (or am I missing something)
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    How does this 3 man 3 lap sprint work, looks like 1 rider drops off each lap - therefore surely all you need is 1 really quick bloke over 3 laps (ie I could ride the first lap with 2 others and it would make no difference!)

why isn't it just 1 bloke racing 3 laps??, what's the point of the other 2 (or am I missing something)
    Setting myself up for a big fall here but I think it is streamlining.

Just like in the Tour de France, the main rider will ride almost all the race around his team, but then "break."

In theory, the two ahead of the last chap will be shielding him from the wind resistance, and then on the final lap, he should be fresher than them and then sprint. 

In effect, 3 people, with 2 rotating the front will get it done quicker than 1 person on their own. 

Just cycling around with mates (or streamlining behind a car in central London) I have noticed a huge difference in physical exertion. 
  • Options
    I have asked like a million times, so no doubt you wont change. But please embed tweets as it defeats the object of posting a tweet, i know you aren't the only one just a slight pet peeve of mine. 
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    Germany destroyed us there
  • Options
    A bit disappointing that, massively beaten in the women's team pursuit
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Says how much times have changed when you end up being slightly disappointed with a silver. 
  • Options
    So are the Danes in the final or disqualified? 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Says how much times have changed when you end up being slightly disappointed with a silver. 
    True. I think the manner of the defeat was perhaps the biggest surprise. The Germans were pulling away from start to finish
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    Edit: By the sounds of things its still being decided

I saw a comment on the BBC live feed so presumed they'd let Denmark into the Final
  • Options
    Bit of an anticlimax there between Russia and Germany.

Harsh that one false start and you get disqualified but if those are the rules
  • Options
    Italy v Denmark in the Final
    Not confirmed. 
  • Options
    A bit ragged in the final. You can see from the body language that Kenny is disappointed with his personal performance
  • Options
    I wonder if Grenada will top the medals per population table again like they did in Rio. 
  • Options
    A bit ragged in the final. You can see from the body language that Kenny is disappointed with his personal performance
    Was miles off the pace from the start
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    MrWalker said:
    I wonder if Grenada will top the medals per population table again like they did in Rio. 
    Probably Bermuda this time mate
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Italy v Denmark in the Final
    Not confirmed. 
    Whilst it was obvious that they had caught the GB team, the Danish cyclist could have caused an injury to the British one, possibly affecting his medal chances in other events. So whilst GB don't deserve to go though from their performance, should the Danish cyclist be DQ?

Also the UCI, had banned Denmark from wearing the tape and vests for the race with Team GB for a place in the gold medal race as the UCI  admitted they have breached regulations, but only issued the Danes with a warning, not a disqualification.

Maybe they have been taking advice from Wayne Rooney's Derby?
  • Options
    Not sure if has been mentioned on here but the medal table had been misrepresented in the US press by listing it in order of number of medals not number of golds then silvers etc! I recall the Chinese doing this
  • Options
    Not sure if has been mentioned on here but the medal table had been misrepresented in the US press by listing it in order of number of medals not number of golds then silvers etc! I recall the Chinese doing this
    Look North do it with the "if Yorkshire was a country" table as well. 
  • Options
    I can see both points of view

We have more medals than Japan and Australia, but fewer golds so are below them
  • Options
    OK you need to be knocking on a bit to remember this, but one of my favourite all time Olympic memories is of David Hemery at the Mexico City Olympics in 1968.  Hemery won the 400m hurdles in 48.12 seconds, a new world record. His margin of victory was the largest since 1924, beating second-placed Gerhard Hennige from West Germany by almost a second.  His World record lasted 4 years and it was to be another 22 years before his British record fell.

Now this guy Karsten Warholm rocks up 53 years later and records a time 45.94, 2.18 seconds quicker it's just unbelievable.

Back in the dark days Britain didn't win many medals which is why some of those old time heroes are remembered so well. I grew up believing we were an inferior race, except over time it became apparent that Eastern bloc countries were fuelling their competitors with steroids, whilst the Americans could almost be accused of being full time professionals.  Hemery obviously benefited from spending time growing up in the states. 

Now it is evident that medals are pretty much bought with money and resources.  Of course the dedication of athletes is essential too, but this has always been the case.   
  • Options
    I haven't bothered to check......but I read somewhere this morning that WK's new 400m Hurdles World Record time was faster than the winning time in the UK championships 400m flat this year.....
  • Options
    That 400m hurdles final was crazy, bloke in 3rd practically matching the old world record and being miles behind, and the guy in 2nd smashing it only to still get beaten.

What a run from the top 2.
  • Options
    I can see both points of view

We have more medals than Japan and Australia, but fewer golds so are below them
    But a gold is worth more than a silver etc. Maybe weight it e.g. 3 for a gold, 2 for a silver etc.

A long time since I competed in sailing but over series, it was lowest points won with .75 for a win, 2 for a second, 3 for a third etc thereby giving added credit for a first
  • Options
    for how much longer will certain World Records continue to be broken.....at some point they will just never be beaten