Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Tokyo Olympics

Comments

• OK you need to be knocking on a bit to remember this, but one of my favourite all time Olympic memories is of David Hemery at the Mexico City Olympics in 1968.  Hemery won the 400m hurdles in 48.12 seconds, a new world record. His margin of victory was the largest since 1924, beating second-placed Gerhard Hennige from West Germany by almost a second.  His World record lasted 4 years and it was to be another 22 years before his British record fell.

Now this guy Karsten Warholm rocks up 53 years later and records a time 45.94, 2.18 seconds quicker it's just unbelievable.

Back in the dark days Britain didn't win many medals which is why some of those old time heroes are remembered so well. I grew up believing we were an inferior race, except over time it became apparent that Eastern bloc countries were fuelling their competitors with steroids, whilst the Americans could almost be accused of being full time professionals.  Hemery obviously benefited from spending time growing up in the states. 

Now it is evident that medals are pretty much bought with money and resources.  Of course the dedication of athletes is essential too, but this has always been the case.   
    Will this start another debate about money and resources being an unfair advantage?!
  • for how much longer will certain World Records continue to be broken.....at some point they will just never be beaten
    Bolt's 100 and 200m records will probably stand for quite a while. Certainly i think the 200 will. Flo-Jo's records over the same distance have stood since 1988!

The womens 400m WR has stood since 1985, and only 3 women have got within a second of that time since, so she must've been on something.
  • for how much longer will certain World Records continue to be broken.....at some point they will just never be beaten
    Bolt's 100 and 200m records will probably stand for quite a while. Certainly i think the 200 will. Flo-Jo's records over the same distance have stood since 1988!

The womens 400m WR has stood since 1985, and only 3 women have got within a second of that time since, so she must've been on something.
    Testicles.....
  • That 400m hurdles final was crazy, bloke in 3rd practically matching the old world record and being miles behind, and the guy in 2nd smashing it only to still get beaten.

What a run from the top 2.
    Seen a couple of cases where people would have set new world records, but still get silver.

What a kick in the bollocks that must feel like. 
  • Huskaris said:
    That 400m hurdles final was crazy, bloke in 3rd practically matching the old world record and being miles behind, and the guy in 2nd smashing it only to still get beaten.

What a run from the top 2.
    Seen a couple of cases where people would have set new world records, but still get silver.

What a kick in the bollocks that must feel like. 
    Absolutely, the second best run ever, but the one better one happens to be in the same bloody race.
  • McCormack lost that first round, needs to do more.
  • Very lucky to not have that scored as a knock-down
  • iglesias' eye has opened up
  • Do not understand the gameplan here from McCormack. Using slowing tactics like it's a 12 rounder, but he just needs to be busy
  • Sponsored links:

• Croydon said:
    Do not understand the gameplan here from McCormack. Using slowing tactics like it's a 12 rounder, but he just needs to be busy
    Beaten by a very, very good boxer - no complaints.

Going to be fun seeing both the twins in action as professionals.
  • Not sure if has been mentioned on here but the medal table had been misrepresented in the US press by listing it in order of number of medals not number of golds then silvers etc! I recall the Chinese doing this
    The US has always listed by number of medals. 
  • Agree with Colin Jackson:
    Karsten Warholm's win and WR in the 400 hurdles was one if not the best race I have seen with  non GB athletes. Having an opponent on his shoulder coming up to the last barrier pushed him on to a greater achievement. 45.94 is amazing.

Superb.

• Watching the pole vault and can't for the life of me work out what possessed someone at some point to look at big stick, 3m high pole and think to themselves " I've got a great idea for a new sport here"
    Particularly when landing in a sandpit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WewwFxXdzbg
  • Excellent show from the 800m girls
    PBs for all of them, a great performance. Stunning run by Hodgkinson
  • Sponsored links:

• That 400m hurdles final was absolutely phenomenal. The perfect storm of brilliant athletes; a "springy" track; and improvements in shoe tech have all combined, apparently. (No suggestion of any underhand actions/doping)
    Reekie so unlucky not to get bronze too, great run.

All 3 getting PBs is all you can ask for.
  • Football semi is ending well.
    Japan missing the home crowd I suspect.
  • Thompson-Herah has been incredible the last two Olympics. 

this

I think the BBC said Hodgkinson's time was a national record, too. Very impressive.
  • Speed climbing in the Olympics?
    Enough to drive some people up the wall.

I think the BBC said Hodgkinson's time was a national record, too. Very impressive.
    Yes, beat Kelly Holmes record. 
  • edited August 2021
    MrWalker said:
    Speed climbing in the Olympics?
    Superb viewing. The IFSC Climbing World Championships are a compelling watch. Especially the speed climbing (5.2 second world record, which is mental).
  • MrWalker said:
    Speed climbing in the Olympics?
    Superb viewing. The IFSC Climbing World Championships are a compelling watch. Especially the speed climbing (5.2 second world record, which is mental).
    Excellent sport, as you say.
    I briefly worked with the British champion at the time. Top man and such a cool guy.
    Great format.