Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Palace away PSF 2021 - match thread (6pm kick off)

Comments

• Options
    I am very happy with Dobson. Looks like a genuine upgrade to me. I think with Purrington's injury, it has highlighted that we need a left back, we probably need another wide midfielder/winger (along with Gomes) and a striker. If these come from Waitrose rather than Poundland, I suspect we will be challenging.

We also need Morgan to step up this season. That and Inniss staying fit are going to be big factors.
    Probably need a wideman is a ginormous understatement. We are not going up with Washington and DJ as our first choice wide-men, especially with no cover.
  • Options
    smurfd said:
    arny23394 said:
    I am very happy with Dobson. Looks like a genuine upgrade to me. I think with Purrington's injury, it has highlighted that we need a left back, we probably need another wide midfielder/winger (along with Gomes) and a striker. If these come from Waitrose rather than Poundland, I suspect we will be challenging.

We also need Morgan to step up this season. That and Inniss staying fit are going to be big factors.
    Probably need a wideman is a ginormous understatement. We are not going up with Washington and DJ as our first choice wide-men, especially with no cover.
    I thought DJ has been one of if not the best player preseason.
    Washington certainly hasn't been too far behind either imo. They would be my first choicers based on who we have now.

(Maatsen was only there due to Wash's injury last season IIRC?)
  • Options
    smurfd said:
    arny23394 said:

I haven’t watched any preseason games so can’t comment, but I meant more as a pair, although I’m not as confident in him as others. That’s purely based on what I saw of him last season.
  • Options
    Southbank said:
    Rothko said:
    He's very much on the business exemption list
    I looked it up on the government website and being a company owner isn't on the list. If I'm missing something then fair enough but I'd like to know what it is.

He qualifies as a 'business director bringing significant number of jobs and investment to the uk'

Here you go.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/coronavirus-covid-19-travellers-exempt-from-uk-border-rules/coronavirus-covid-19-travellers-exempt-from-uk-border-rules#business-directors-bringing-significant-numbers-of-jobs-and-investment-to-the-uk

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/red-amber-and-green-list-rules-for-entering-england#amber-list

You must quarantine in the place you are staying for 10 days. You can leave your accommodation when conducting the specific exempt activity/activities or travelling directly to and from your accommodation and a location for the purposes of this activity. You must quarantine at all other times during your stay.

You need to take a COVID-19 test on day 2 and day 8 after arrival in the UK, if you are still in the country.

Fully UK vaccinated – amber list – if you are fully vaccinated under the UK vaccination programme you do not need to quarantine or take a COVID-19 test on day 8.

So if Thomas is not vaccinated, he must quarantine for 10 days (allowed out for activies related to his business) but must take a COVID test on day 2 and day 8.

If he is vaccinated, he doesn't have to quarantine or take the day 8 test but he must take a test on day 2 of his stay.

Also I presume a fit to fly test either end, Bloody nightmare we are going through now, should be able to watch the Sheffield game in Portugal though.

• Options
    arny23394 said:
    smurfd said:
    arny23394 said:

I haven’t watched any preseason games so can’t comment, but I meant more as a pair, although I’m not as confident in him as others. That’s purely based on what I saw of him last season.
    Fair enough, I have watched all the preseason, and he has been good playing on either wing and with both feet, he did not get as much game time as he should last season I think Lee preferred Millar and did not play them in tandem often. I think he only had about 10 starts.

• Options
    edited July 2021
    Davo55 said:
    A brief word for the keeper who has made a couple of outstanding saves now through pre season. I’m very impressed. Dare I say a clear upgrade on Amos?
    Some of his saves at Reading and again last night were fantastic. But he was at fault for both goals and appears to be prone to the odd clanger. Hoping he's got that out of his system now.
    First goal, yes, but the second goal? Can’t remember… was it a poor clearance?

Edit. Apparently it was. 
  • Options
    Bit of a shocker there from MacGilvray with his feet, 2 goals coming from him.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Southbank said:
    Southbank said:
    Rothko said:
    I looked it up on the government website and being a company owner isn't on the list. If I'm missing something then fair enough but I'd like to know what it is.

He qualifies as a 'business director bringing significant number of jobs and investment to the uk'
    Its in the lines that start with 'b"
    Ok, but he's from an amber list country, and I doubt UK vaccinated, in which case he still needs to quarantine. 

• Options
    edited July 2021
    Southbank said:
    Southbank said:
    Rothko said:

Its in the lines that start with 'b"
    Ok, but he's from an amber list country, and I doubt UK vaccinated, in which case he still needs to quarantine. 

If Ronnie plays as the lone striker no Cafc player will get within 5 yards so no problems there.

The two defenders marking him may be an issue !

• Options
    Morgan seems to be our main corner taker now, in the absence of JFC, making his position in the side pretty secure

His corners have been pretty decent too
  • Options
    For anyone who went to that decrepid fly blown asbestos riddled shit hole in Surrey last night.

Any early symptoms?  

I am sure a quick Twitter campaign can be started and our glorious leader offer up some form of well intentioned compensation...
  • Options
    I don't understand passing back to a keeper when a forward is so close and any rebound  could end up with a goal. After the shocking pass back from Famewo last season I wondered if we would see it's not worth the risk when the keeper is on his goal line.

Have seen this at all levels of the football pyramid watching coaches with pro and A licences encouraging this risky strategy.
    They all believe their players can defend like Man city and play one, twos in their own area; they can't.

My young team cashed in big time when my two district School sprinters and strikers hit the target on so many occasions from mistakes from weak pass backs and poor kicks from keepers after being put under pressure.

Seeing professional footballers concede charity goals is embarrassing and it's not just Cafc who do this.
    I agree with you. I presume the managers logic (most teams not just us) is that it benefits you in 44 games and may cost you in 2 games?
  • Options
    clive said:
    MacGillivray should be fuming at Pearce from that first.  
  • Options
    I don't understand passing back to a keeper when a forward is so close and any rebound  could end up with a goal. After the shocking pass back from Famewo last season I wondered if we would see it's not worth the risk when the keeper is on his goal line.

Have seen this at all levels of the football pyramid watching coaches with pro and A licences encouraging this risky strategy.
    They all believe their players can defend like Man city and play one, twos in their own area; they can't.

My young team cashed in big time when my two district School sprinters and strikers hit the target on so many occasions from mistakes from weak pass backs and poor kicks from keepers after being put under pressure.

Seeing professional footballers concede charity goals is embarrassing and it's not just Cafc who do this.
    When I was coached by Miss Yates at Sherington School 60 years ago I was told you never pass back towards the goal area. It's asking for trouble.

Have seen Pearce do it too many times over the years. Often hitting the pass too hard.

There is also too much passing between the Centre Backs. Deji tries to go forward.
  • Options
    Crusty54 said:

When I was coached by Miss Yates at Sherington School 60 years ago I was told you never pass back towards the goal area. It's asking for trouble.

Have seen Pearce do it too many times over the years. Often hitting the pass too hard.

There is also too much pashsing between the Centre Backs. Deji tries to go forward.
    Its been the way we play for at least 4 years now.

Every CB we've had in that time has looked suspect passing the ball back or facing their keeper.

Its fucking mind boggling why we do it, Fulham tried to do it all game against Manchester City last season and after the 10th time of conceding a corner or getting caught out I was just sitting there in shock thinking, are you gonna give this up soon. 
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    My main issue with the constant passing back to the keeper, forgetting the errors which can cost you goals, is that it invariably ends in a rushed hoof upfield anyway when your opponents press. Why not make a slightly less rushed hoof upfield as an alternative and miss out the keeper altogether if nothing else is on? 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited July 2021
    The first for the pyjama outfit last night brings a mental image of my dear departed uncle shouting, "STOP FUCKING AROUND WITH IT!!!" at the Valley many a time.
  • Options

I agree with you. I presume the managers logic (most teams not just us) is that it benefits you in 44 games and may cost you in 2 games?

One of things I immediately noticed under Adkins was that we tended to stop dicking around with it in our half as much and just got rid of it. Disappointing to see the first goal especially and hopefully we'll learn to just get rid instead of going back to the keeper although at 33 Pearce shouldn't be having to learn that lesson. The second goal is pure and simply the keepers fault.
  • Options
    edited July 2021

Visual analysis is at all levels of football now including VEO (camera on a high stick) which tracks by using artificial intelligence to pan and zoom the ball around the field. I have seen it used by part time teams in Step 4 and 5. No hiding place for the poor pass backs to keepers who then are tested on their kicking. All League clubs, analysis every run, kick, heart beat, and the amount of air blowing out your arse. Tony Watt and Astrit Ajdarevic the Swedish Albanian would be off the scale despite their talent with the ball at their feet.

If It only costs you in 2 games out of 46 then no issues but for Cafc last season either poor back passing with feet or head, poor side way passes when last man or poor throw by keeper to defenders when marked on the edge of the area was culpable in conceding about a dozen goals.
    (It felt like more ?)

I accept at all levels of the game mistakes are made and we benefitted at times by our oppositions poor pass backs but we made too many gifts wrapped goals which turned wins into draws and draws into defeats last season.

If you play short similar to Man city etc make sure it only costs you a goal or two over a season and it creates dozens of goals for your own side then it's worth the  percentage success.

No problem playing short per se when in space but with on rushing forwards !
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    clive said:
    I think they're both culpable , pathetic all round
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    Let’s hope the tippy tappy  pass back to the keeper routine will be a salutary lesson for the season ahead. I’m not holding my breath though. 

Having said that, after conceding that first goal it was noticeable that Famewo was looking to play the ball forward more when it was passed sideways or backwards to him.

There’s times when to pass back to the keeper but it’s all about decision making and Pearce made a bad one. Also I think I read somewhere  that Pompey fans didn’t rate MacGillivray's kicking and if last night was anything to go by it’s even more reason not to play to his weakness.

Credit where credit is due though he made one worldly and several other good saves.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    clive said:
    I think they're both culpable , pathetic all round
    At least 80% on Pearce. Three touches on the edge of your own box and then kicking it at your keeper’s weak foot? That’s criminal.
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    Dazzler21 said:
    clive said:
    I'd put more blame on the keeper than Pearce, though both were to blame.
    The keeper shouldn't have given the ball to Pearce when he's already got a man closing in.
    He must know Pearce's control isn't great.

The 2nd was also down to a bad kick from the keeper.
  • Options
    The point of tippy tappy at the back is to draw the opposition press then either pass through it or over it.  All fine and good but.. How many goals did we score last season by doing that?

One of the things Curbs highlighted on CATV last season, I think when Robo was the guest, was how good the 98ish team were at getting the ball wide and forward quickly and winning it back, winning a throw or a free kick.  I think it was mendonca's second v Bradford they showed to high light it. I noticed we did that a few times yesterday and did it very well.  I think it was something similar that led to our 2nd goal as well. 
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    Leuth said:
    Reading the match thread I assumed Pearce had kicked it in his own goal. Seeing the highlights has once again demonstrated how much our fans will lambast a defender for anything that goes wrong
    Fair play Leuth, you really will support any cause...  Proper fuck up in defence, seems Nige has some way to go to eradicate that from our game.