Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Athletic v Chef Wendy | Sat 7th Aug | 5:30PM KO | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Comments

• Options
    Decent x11. Bench worries me, i like Clayden but in terms of attacking options it seems limited. Win would be fantastic, would ease some of the fans nerves and just generally everyone again.
    Also glad we’ve got a proper club at home on the opening day, much better than say home to Morecambe. 
  • Options
    2-0 to Charlton & let's hope we've won the game early, because on paper we have very little on the bench to win the game.
  • Options
    2-1 Home Win. Home Fans spurring the team on will count for something. 
  • Options
    Don't rate Sheffield Wednesday's side - they have less upfront that we do. Christian Kamberi couldn't get a game at Aberdeen and they are trying to bring his former would-be team-mate, Sam Cosgrove, in on loan - Dons fans think this is hilarious. I am going for a 2-0 home win although we have a shocking Sky record and our ability to fall flat on our faces when we get a crowd in and lots of expectation is almost as impressive.
  • Options
    Having watched the bulk of this side last season and the reinforcements made during the summer so far my enthusiasm for this season is at an all time low. 

Hope I'm proved wrong by 7.30pm on Saturday 
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    3-1 Charlton. Stockley x 2 and Innis

Not having this "paper thin bench" shite though. At the end of the day these young lads are professional players and very talented. They will be hungry to grab there chance and anyone who comes on, I expect them to grab the opportunity with both hands. 

So much doom and gloom on here its embarrassing. 
    Yes they’re talented, you have to be to make it through the academy structure. 

The problem is that they’re not as talented as what either team already has on the pitch.
  • Options
    This will be a spectacle o-o
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    3-1... Stockley x 2 & DJ

After the Thomas show,.. comes the main event and after a shaky start, we will get the result, to rid us of the bloody Sky voodoo, but not before going a goal down first...COYR B)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    2-1, first half goals but end up hanging on. 
  • Options
    Went for a nose on Owlstalk and ....
  • Options
    Wednesday have 258 tickets left according to Owlstalk. 
  • Options
    Wednesday have 258 tickets left according to Owlstalk. 
    Lightweights!
  • Options
    It's my eldest son's twelfth birthday, so I'm expecting a rampant victory. 
  • Options
    LoOkOuT said:
    It's my eldest son's twelfth birthday, so I'm expecting a rampant victory. 
    a win will be the icing on his cake  :D
  • Options
    A difficult one to call but it should be a cracking atmosphere.

It will be important to stop Bannon dictating the tempo in midfield. Hopefully Dobson and Clare will get after him, disrupt his rhythm and, with Albie's quality, get control of that area. I see that Wednesday's top scorer last season, the attacking midfield player Josh Windass, is out with a hamstring injury. 
  • Options
    0-1 and we all wish we were back in lockdown
  • Options
    A SW supporting friend said:

‘I’ll be honest mate we’ve let go all of our most experienced players and signed a whole host of people I’ve never heard of. Lots of ‘he played 7 games on loan at Wimbledon last season’ types.

I’m gonna go 4-0 Charlton 😂
  • Options
    Looking forward to Saturday. Typical optimism tempered by the fact that the squad is light. We need to get out of this league. I really hope that it's this season. I am encouraged by some of the young players. Also think Clare and Dobson will do well. Stockley will get over 15 goals I think. Wish we still had Chuck's though especially at this level. Going for a narrow 2-1 win. Stockley and Albie. COYRs!!!

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    from the OP, good starting 11 but holy moly that bench is so, so weak. Best we can hope for is a point but if we don't get it it doesn't matter anyway because most fans happily traded it in for an England Euros win.
  • Options
    1-3. Injuries to Stockley & DJ early on will show just how light our squad is. But never mind, we have until Sept 2nd to bring in reinforcements. 
  • Options

Not having this "paper thin bench" shite though. At the end of the day these young lads are professional players and very talented. They will be hungry to grab there chance and anyone who comes on, I expect them to grab the opportunity with both hands. 

The problem is that they’re not as talented as what either team already has on the pitch.
    Honestly not looking for an argument, healthy debate haha but as we are in league 1 our players have a platform to perform. Also they are untested, we wont know if there good enough until there given the chance. 
  • Options
    0-1 defeat and the bulk of the 14,000 crowd are still in their seats 60 minutes after the game as the optimists and pessimists take part in the biggest digital ruck in history on the rumours thread - which is inflamed still further as Thomas announces a new signing - a tambourine player for the follow up - Addicks to Mid Table.
  • Options
    The squad is weaker than the one we finished the season with, mainly as we have not replaced Chuks or Millar. There is nobody on the bench you would bring on as a game changer.
    Until the end of August we will not know if we have a decent chance of promotion.
  • Options
    edited August 2021

Honestly not looking for an argument, healthy debate haha but as we are in league 1 our players have a platform to perform. Also they are untested, we wont know if there good enough until there given the chance. 
    No arguments here mate, just chatting. It’s a game of opinions and neither of us are right or wrong.

Yeah I know what you mean, and they may be good enough in time, but I can’t see any reality where Ben Dempsey coming off the bench is going to be able to compete with Barry Bannan. 

This isn’t a brilliant crop of u23’s, they’re not in the squad because they’re brilliant, we just have a lack of players and they’re temporarily filling the gap.
  • Options
    wee bouncy baz bannon must be getting on a bit now surely? seems to have been around for ever?
  • Options
    2-1 to the mighty Addicks
  • Options
    A bright opening 5 minutes followed by reassuringly familiar Charlton performace. 0-2.
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:
    wee bouncy baz bannon must be getting on a bit now surely? seems to have been around for ever?
    Still only 31 amazingly. Hopefully we'll give him a nice reception on and off the pitch on Saturday.