Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Athletic v Chef Wendy | Sat 7th Aug | 5:30PM KO | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Comments

• Options
    Blucher said:
    A difficult one to call but it should be a cracking atmosphere.

It will be important to stop Bannon dictating the tempo in midfield. Hopefully Dobson and Clare will get after him, disrupt his rhythm and, with Albie's quality, get control of that area. I see that Wednesday's top scorer last season, the attacking midfield player Josh Windass, is out with a hamstring injury. 
    Think it's actually transferitus I don't think he is the only one either. 
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    To tight to call, one goal in it. BUT back at the Valley, CANNOT WAIT!!  For the first time this season,

COM'MON YOU REDS!!!!!

(So excited thinking about Saturday a bit of wee has come out!)
  • Options
    Charlton 1 Sheff Wednesday 2
  • Options
    so many insurance policy predictions here, frightened to predict a win -  we need to do a lot more business but our first choice back line is virtually in place, our midfield is better and our strike force is just missing chucks really from last year and apparently Steff wed r not in a great place - same as the crowd predictions - everybody being conservative for fear of disappointment 
  • Options
    Think we might smash em 3 or 4 nil
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Blucher said:
    A difficult one to call but it should be a cracking atmosphere.

It will be important to stop Bannon dictating the tempo in midfield. Hopefully Dobson and Clare will get after him, disrupt his rhythm and, with Albie's quality, get control of that area. I see that Wednesday's top scorer last season, the attacking midfield player Josh Windass, is out with a hamstring injury. 
    Think it's actually transferitus I don't think he is the only one either. 

Is that the same complaint that has stopped Harry Kane going in to training ?
  • Options
    Watching the highlights of their last game vs Hudds and they look really vulnerable against the high press. I think pressing and winning the ball high will be one of our strengths this season. 

Hope we have the firepower to stick away the chances! 
  • Options
    3-1 Charlton. Stockley x 2 and Innis

Not having this "paper thin bench" shite though. At the end of the day these young lads are professional players and very talented. They will be hungry to grab there chance and anyone who comes on, I expect them to grab the opportunity with both hands. 

So much doom and gloom on here its embarrassing. 
    Yes they’re talented, you have to be to make it through the academy structure. 

The problem is that they’re not as talented as what either team already has on the pitch.
    Honestly not looking for an argument, healthy debate haha but as we are in league 1 our players have a platform to perform. Also they are untested, we wont know if there good enough until there given the chance. 
    No arguments here mate, just chatting. It’s a game of options and neither of us are right or wrong.

Yeah I know what you mean, and they may be good enough in time, but I can’t see any reality where Ben Dempsey coming off the bench is going to be able to compete with Barry Bannan. 

This isn’t a brilliant crop of u23’s, they’re not in the squad because they’re brilliant, we just have a lack of players and they’re temporarily filling the gap.
    That last sentence is a damning indictment of 3 months worth of transfer dealings. 

I'm sure not even the most optimistic fan would have thought we'd be going into the first game of the season with no fit left back & a bench that is either filled with U23's or the old guard who are simply there to make up the numbers. 

And I doubt whether much will change in the next 3 weeks either. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Can’t remember there ever being a first game of the season where you can guarantee what the starting line up will be subject to any unknown injuries on the training pitch this week, illustrating the lack of depth. I reckon a nil nil.
  • Options
    Can't make it unfortunately due to being back on crutches again ( 2nd time in 4 months) gutted I can't meet the lads beforehand and enjoy being back at the Valley.  
  • Options
    A league one club with a combination of youngsters and experienced players on the bench while with best players start.  Who would have thought it?

FFS.
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:
    so many insurance policy predictions here, frightened to predict a win -  we need to do a lot more business but our first choice back line is virtually in place, our midfield is better and our strike force is just missing chucks really from last year and apparently Steff wed r not in a great place - same as the crowd predictions - everybody being conservative for fear of disappointment 
    I am predicting a crowd in the region of 15,000 and Wednesday to beat us 1-2 however it has nothing to do with insurance. I am a realist and do not walk around with rose tinted specs on.

Hope I am wrong on both counts however talk from some of more than 20,000 and a resounding win I can't buy in too.  
  • Options
    I expect us to beat the cheats 2-0.
  • Options
    We will win. Dunno the score.
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:
    I am predicting a crowd in the region of 15,000 and Wednesday to beat us 1-2 however it has nothing to do with insurance. I am a realist and do not walk around with rose tinted specs on.

Hope I am wrong on both counts however talk from some of more than 20,000 and a resounding win I can't buy in too.  
    even though circa 17k tickets have gone already?
  • Options
    Thanks FA.  Great reading as always
  • Options
    Win for the Addicks. Could be convincing. 2-0, might even be more. COYR!!
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    Thanks for the preview @ForeverAddickted Great to have these back, always a highlight of the week, and with the mess of almost every new thread this summer, happy to have some actual league football to discuss. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The problem I have predicting this game is that I have a good handle on our strengths and weaknesses but am totally in the dark regarding Wednesday. I am a little fearful of the lack of goals in our side, but we are solid, the question is where are our opponents going to be?
  • Options
    I remember that last season it wasn't the ability or lack of it in individual players that got to me, it was that they played as if they'd never met each other.

I sincerely hope and expect that won't be the case under NA this year.
  • Options
    Why do I get the impression it's going to be a long season on the pre, in and post match threads!
  • Options
    Glad to be back at the Valley, but have to leave 10 minutes early for a gig. (Thanks Sky...)
    My Leeds-supporting mate who's at the gig said "don't worry, you'll be 5-0 up by half time". Yeah, it doesn't work like that. 
    I think we should win though no idea of the score. Just looking forward to being there. 
  • Options
    The new cycle lane in Woolwich Road is being dug up. Traffic lights with single alternate lane in operation. Expect longer delays. 
  • Options
    Letting the train take the strain. 
    After watching the PSFs I think we’ll be pleasantly surprised. 
    2-1
  • Options
    Come on guys, we are live on sky, big day back for everybody after 18 shitty months, proper hello to the new owner, what can go wrong.

0-1.😔
    ...and it's going to be raining. We don't seem to play well in the rain.