Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Athletic v Chef Wendy | Sat 7th Aug | 5:30PM KO | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Comments

• Options
    Southbank said:
    RedChaser said:
    RedChaser said:
    On hols in Greece, not available on Charlton TV and reliable websites don't show it as on TV here so any moody streams appreciated. 
    it's on sky mate - every bar in town will have it on
    Same time as Man City Leicester, doubt we’ll be the game of choice in a bar in Greece.
    Must be the Charlton game being shown surely, I mean Charlie Wright was better than Yashin and Matt Tees better than Eusebio for the all conquering Addicks. Man Citeh are just Johnny come latelys! 😉
    ‘Arry was better tha Eusebio…
    You must have been on the East Terrace where there weren’t any acoustics definitely Matt Tees sung by the section of the Cupboard end choir I was in. Tees was an out and out  striker just like Eusebio 😉, Gregory was an inside forward akin to a CAM these days.
    RedChaser said:
    RedChaser said:
    On hols in Greece, not available on Charlton TV and reliable websites don't show it as on TV here so any moody streams appreciated. 
    Same time as Man City Leicester, doubt we’ll be the game of choice in a bar in Greece.
    Must be the Charlton game being shown surely, I mean Charlie Wright was better than Yashin and Matt Tees better than Eusebio for the all conquering Addicks. Man Citeh are just Johnny come latelys! 😉
    You must have been on the East Terrace where there weren’t any acoustics definitely Matt Tees sung by the section of the Cupboard end choir I was in. Tees was an out and out  striker just like Eusebio 😉, Gregory was an inside forward akin to a CAM these days.
    RedChaser said:
    RedChaser said:
    I remember it being Saunders
    "Saunders is the king, Saunders is the king ..... ee-ai-addio, Saunders is the king"

• Options
    RedChaser said:
    "Go orn, H !" 

'Arry Gregory, biggest claim to fame was wearing his shorts back to front, with the number 7 on his backside. ..... that was his 'lucky' thing.
    Could play inside forward or wide attacking midfield, but not really a touchline hugging winger.
    And not a proper striker either - that was Matt Tees and Ray Treacy.

Them days, eh?
  • Options
    I think there's an even chance Inniss will not start tomorrow, or if he does will come off after an hour. He can't be fully match fit if he could only manage 60 in a friendly last week.
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    Oggy Red said:
    In the last two seasons, Clare has played 37 times for Oxford and Burton scoring one goal. Morgan has made 50 appearances in the league scoring 1 goal. In the last three seasons, Dobson has played 118 games for Wallsall, Sunderland and Wimbledon and has scored 2 goals. Decent players, but I think a couple of them are going to have to up this rate significantly.

We have lost JFK's goals and Shinnie got 3 in 29 for us. Whilst it isn't brilliant, it compares favourably to the goals we currently have in midfield. If I was an opposing manager, I would prioritise stopping Stockley. For me, Morgan is going to be a massive player for us, one way or the other. Is it his time or will there never be his time?
    To show that the past is no guarantee of the future, there's the Johnnie Jackson example.

Before he signed for Charlton permanently in 2010, he'd managed to score just 19 goals in more than 200 League appearances,
    including 13 goals in 107 appearances in a 3 year spell at Colchester, up to then his best return.

Yet he managed 51 goals in 243 appearances at Charlton, some seasons getting into double figures.

Depending on the role they play and how the team is set up, why shouldn't someone like Clare get a decent tally from midfield.
    Maybe DJ too. And if Morgan establishes himself in the 1st team, no reason why he can't pick up half a dozen, like JFC did last season.

And there may even yet be a new signing that adds to the midfield tally.

But wasn't JJs previous scoring record in the Premier League? I recall him bagging one or two against us at WHL.

In terms of your why can't question. The answer is of course they can, but there is no track record of it. 
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:
    In the last two seasons, Clare has played 37 times for Oxford and Burton scoring one goal. Morgan has made 50 appearances in the league scoring 1 goal. In the last three seasons, Dobson has played 118 games for Wallsall, Sunderland and Wimbledon and has scored 2 goals. Decent players, but I think a couple of them are going to have to up this rate significantly.

We have lost JFK's goals and Shinnie got 3 in 29 for us. Whilst it isn't brilliant, it compares favourably to the goals we currently have in midfield. If I was an opposing manager, I would prioritise stopping Stockley. For me, Morgan is going to be a massive player for us, one way or the other. Is it his time or will there never be his time?
    To show that the past is no guarantee of the future, there's the Johnnie Jackson example.

Before he signed for Charlton permanently in 2010, he'd managed to score just 19 goals in more than 200 League appearances,
    including 13 goals in 107 appearances in a 3 year spell at Colchester, up to then his best return.

Yet he managed 51 goals in 243 appearances at Charlton, some seasons getting into double figures.

Depending on the role they play and how the team is set up, why shouldn't someone like Clare get a decent tally from midfield.
    Maybe DJ too. And if Morgan establishes himself in the 1st team, no reason why he can't pick up half a dozen, like JFC did last season.

But wasn't JJs previous scoring record in the Premier League? I recall him bagging one or two against us at WHL.

In terms of your why can't question. The answer is of course they can, but there is no track record of it. 
    He scored a cracker against us at the Valley in the Prem 2004 for Spurs 4th and last in a 2-4 defeat. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    from the OP, good starting 11 but holy moly that bench is so, so weak. Best we can hope for is a point but if we don't get it it doesn't matter anyway because most fans happily traded it in for an England Euros win.
    I know that you would have fallen asleep during the penalty shootout but I would have thought that even you would at least know the result by now.
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

Jacko scored only 1 goal in the Premier League .... and naturally, that was against us!

Yes, of course players can but just because a player hasn't done it yet, doesn't mean that he can't or it will never happen.
    There's good reasons why it could happen.

Jacko had no previous track record either.
    I gave the example of Jacko, showing that when the team was set up for him to score goals, he scored plenty.

No reason why someone like Clare won't have the opportunity to do so this season.
    Depends on his role and the way the team is set up.

• Options
    Well I'm already too excited ! Leaving for the ground tomorrow morning at 09.00hrs and it cant come soon enough. 
    Would take a draw tomorrow but have a feeling we will win 3-1 
  • Options
    Haha no Len a bit further than that mate
  • Options
    My security policy in games like this would be Aneke last season. I just don't have the same feeling of confidence if we are one goal up or a goal behind.  

0-0 I think.
  • Options
    Not optimistic about this match or even this season as a whole. Recruitment has been low on numbers and the desperation on the rumours thread speaks volumes. Not sure where the goals will come from? I do not buy into Adkins 'just pleased to be back in the ground' stuff as midtable league 1 will mean a bleak winter.
    Wednesday have added some quality and I worry about this one, Sky and all that. 3-1 to Wednesday.
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    Stats for tomorrow’s ref, Will Finnie. 

Last season he took charge of 33 games and issued 92 yellows and 5 reds. 

19/20 season issued 102 yellows and 3 reds in only 27 games. 
  • Options
    I do get some of the apprehension and doubt but this is the first game of the season! Full of optimism me! Misplaced but what else have we got. Really looking forward to proper football again and by that I mean fans, atmosphere etc. Come on Charlton!!! ( Probably be disappointed this time tomorrow!!) 
  • Options
    I think there will be a big crowd. Will be disappointed if it is much less than 18000
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    0-1 :(
  • Options
    0-1 :(
    Now you've spoiled watching 'Match of the Day' for me. Grrr! 

• Options
    Scoham said:
    One thing we shouldn't lose sight of:

"For the first time in years, Charlton go into the new season with stability in the boardroom and the dugout after Sandgaard’s takeover signalled the end to years of chaotic ownership."

• Options
    I do wonder what happened to the big player investment that was implied.  We may come good, but it's all looking like another season of frustration.
  • Options
    All the best to you all getting back to a game, obviously I hope it ends fruitless but after that best of luck for the season. 
    Are you Operation Pig?
  • Options
    All the best to you all getting back to a game, obviously I hope it ends fruitless but after that best of luck for the season. 
    Are you Operation Pig?
    Nope. Been posting on here for years