Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlie Kirk (p56 - left by mutual consent)

Comments

• Options
    Kirk showed nothing today.
    My god he certainly was poor!
  • Options
    Awful without the ball. Not a team player and not better than Clayden. 
    Certainly needs to track back better.

Was extremely telling today when Cheltenham scored their first

He was jogging back whilst Gunter had to keep an eye on both their Full-Back and Winger, funnily when Kirk / Gunter did get forward it was impossible to get anywhere because the Cheltenham duo opposite them were working together
    We were 'warned' by the Crewe experts that defensively he's not that good. Which wouldn't matter so much if he was looking dangerous going forward
  • Options
    He must be especially bad to standout in that team, so much so he was subbed off at half time
  • Options
    We were also told that he is at his best when he has a fast overlapping left back behind him. 
    I'll judge him then 
  • Options
    Maybe he hasn't settled down here. Won't be the first. Having awful players around you doesn't help either of course ...

• Options
    Money well spent 🤷‍♂️
  • Options
    Bubble said:
    Quite hard to judge when you’ve got two full backs who seem to need 4 touches before deciding what to do with it and a midfield who keep lofting the ball aimlessly towards Stockley.
    It wasn’t the midfield it was the back 4 the midfield didn’t want the ball - which meant the back four only had one option
  • Options
    Bubble said:
    Quite hard to judge when you’ve got two full backs who seem to need 4 touches before deciding what to do with it and a midfield who keep lofting the ball aimlessly towards Stockley.
    It wasn’t the midfield it was the back 4 the midfield didn’t want the ball - which meant the back four only had one option
    I watched Ben Watson hopeless lump the ball upfield over 10 times in the second half alone
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I feel he's playing walking football at the moment. Really needs to inject some intensity.
  • Options
    From what I have seen, scarily, Washington is a better option that him on the left. If we have to persist with 433, CBT & Leko should start next game. 
  • Options
    arny23394 said:
    From what I have seen, scarily, Washington is a better option that him on the left. If we have to persist with 433, CBT & Leko should start next game. 
    But perhaps we ought to give Kirk a chance and play him as he likes. Today he was obviously told to hug the touchline. That is not his game. Totally stupid. If you asked WAshington to do that he also would be awful. Just give them some freedom please 
  • Options
    Signed the wrong player from Crewe. Lowery and Dale were better. 
  • Options
    You have to wonder about our recruitment, this season so far has been poor.
  • Options
    You have to wonder about our recruitment, this season so far has been poor.
    I’d suggest it’s the way they are being set up that’s the problem.  I reckon Dobson and Clare are duds but I reckon your see more from the others if they were playing for a good manager in a better system. 

That said, wingers are inconsistent.  If Kirk was a phenomenal wide player , with endless end product , he wouldn’t have been playing for Crewe for so long and he wouldn’t have come to another league one team
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    Looks like he will take some time to settle down, similar to how Gilbey did. He's clearly a good player but his head isn't in it at the moment.
  • Options
    He’d look so much better with a LB behind him that had a bit of pace/attacking quality.

So far he’s doubled up on pretty much every time he gets the ball. Means he can’t cut inside as easily.

No point signing him if we don’t have the system for him.
  • Options
    Laddick01 said:
    He’d look so much better with a LB behind him that had a bit of pace/attacking quality.

So far he’s doubled up on pretty much every time he gets the ball. Means he can’t cut inside as easily.

No point signing him if we don’t have the system for him.
    I agree with that - although we don’t own one, unless Soare gets up to speed 
  • Options
    Can we return him, I feel we have been sold a faulty product 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited September 2021
    The bungled way we went about the summer transfer business is partly to blame for his and our collective start imo.
    After a strong end to last season momentum was with us and I personally thought we were set for a Powell style summer transfer plan - get the best of the division in early and hit the ground running to ‘storm the league’ or whatever was said. We even had an MBE Director of Football bloke (is that Roddy’s title?) who was said to have already identified targets.
    We then spent most of the summer not signing the players we needed and not giving the ones we did sign time to gel and form a way of playing. 
    The net result is the team doesn’t have any identity. And this is the problem for Kirk.
    He doesn’t look to me like he knows what his role is. Is he a supporting winger/forward for Stockley, so tucking in closer to him? Or an out and out winger with chalk dust on his boots supported by an overlapping left back like at Crewe? For the latter, he’s got an over the hill right back playing behind him (again, see the crap slow transfer plan). 
    It’s all very well buying young talent but Kirk has spent his short career playing one way. It’s all he knows and now it looks like he’s got mixed messages about a new style. 
    It’s not good overall. Adkins has a week to ponder and get a clear message of how he wants to play and that includes making it clear to Kirk what his role is. 
    Personally, I don’t think we can play with Kirk and DJ as it leaves our ponderous midfield woefully exposed, as was shown yesterday. 
  • Options
    Some players need options from players on the same wave length around them especially if they don't have pace.

Play to your players strengths or get the negative that has always been the case in football.

Hales was brilliant for Charlton because we had Powell & Flannigan providing the quality early cross he fed off. He didn't get that at Derby or WHU.  
  • Options
    After reading some of the comments here of “poor recruitment” and “faulty product”, I’m possibly in the minority, but I have a lot of time for Kirk. 

It’s very early days in to a 4-year contract. Personally, think he deserves some patience, and I’m well aware that due to our poor start to the season that’s more to ask for than usual with a new young player. 
    With all that’s gone on in his personal life, and moving away from home for the first time, I can certainly understand if he’s not at his best at the moment.

The difference with Leko was obvious, Leko is really happy to be back and is really comfortable here
  • Options
    Owen Dale went to the Championship so it’s unlikely we’d have got him.
  • Options
    I’m not going to get too worried about Kirk just yet. I think with a proper left-back behind him he will be much more effective. Persisting with Gunter in that LB for so long has been a massive issue, but Souare might make a big difference to the team generally once up to full fitness, but specifically he might allow us to get the best out of Kirk.