Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlie Kirk (p56 - left by mutual consent)

Comments

• Options
    Many miles have I travelled
    Many games have I seen 
    Following Kirky my favourite twenty
    Many hours have I spent in the Covered End Choir
    Singing Charlie Dave Kirk
    My only desire

Charlie Dave Kirk
    The mist rolling in from the Thames my desire
    Is always to be found at Charlie Dave Kirk

Doesn't really make sense or scan well, but surely would be the only football song in history to incorporate a player's abbreviated middle name.
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    https://youtu.be/W1sju0GFJCA

Where's Captain Kirk?

I was beamed aboard the starship Enterprise
    What I felt what I saw was a total surprise
    I looked around and wondered can this be
    Or is this the start of my insanity
    Oh but it's true
    As we went warp factor 2
    And I met all of the crew
    Where's Captain Kirk
    I went to the bridge and we were tossed about
    In the storm of the vortex I was hit with a doubt
    I saw in a dream in a memory of mine
    Was it you was it me who was in all the time
    Spock pulled me through
    As we went warp factor 2
    And someone I saw I knew
    Who's Captain Kirk
    So when I awoke from the dangers of space
    I looked and I saw a familiar face
    The time warp in space made a change in me
    For I was the captain and the captain was me
    Yes it's so true
    As we went warp factor 2
    The changes I had been through
    As Captain Kirk
    I'm Captain Kirk
    Source: Musixmatch
  • Options
    Huge signing
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    I’m sure this has already been linked, but really enjoyed reading this blog from a Crewe fan about Kirk’s strengths/weaknesses and how he could fit at Charlton 

He’ll slot it nicely on the left wing of Charlton’s favoured 433 formation. Still, Charlton would do well to get a mobile left back behind him who is willing to overlap and provide width on the left; Chris Gunter (for all his strengths) isn’t this.
    Fullbacks definitely our biggest weakness on both sides, especially the inability and/or reluctance to get forward.
  • Options
    Carter said:
    I'm over the moon with this signing. He was class last season for Crewe and is more than capable of playing the level above 
    agreed. And by offering a four year deal, and showing him the ambition TS has, we may have beaten off other clubs. Similar may land us Jephcott too.
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    Carter said:
    I'm over the moon with this signing. He was class last season for Crewe and is more than capable of playing the level above 
    agreed. And by offering a four year deal, and showing him the ambition TS has, we may have beaten off other clubs. Similar may land us Jephcott too.
    Jephcott is interesting as down this way he’s currently out of favour with a lot of Argyle supporters, getting criticism for his lack of end product and inability to get into good positions

A bad patch or has his head been turned?
  • Options
    Carter said:
    Jephcott is interesting as down this way he’s currently out of favour with a lot of Argyle supporters, getting criticism for his lack of end product and inability to get into good positions

A bad patch or has his head been turned?
    Are QPR interested then?
    Ipswich 
  • Options
    EastStand said:
    WSS said:
    "It may seem like a sideways move to some" - lol, sure it does. 
    "The key thing to note is how Kirk puts chances on a plate for attackers. Most of these assists were low passes to players within 10 yards of goal."

So Stockley will either have to go on his hands and knees to score or learn to kick...
    Or we sign a poacher. Don't think Stockley or Washington are what you need if you have DJ and Kirk in your side.

Stockley is exactly what you need... I'd put money on him scoring 10+ headed goals this season
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    CAFCsayer said:
    EastStand said:
    WSS said:
    "The key thing to note is how Kirk puts chances on a plate for attackers. Most of these assists were low passes to players within 10 yards of goal."

So Stockley will either have to go on his hands and knees to score or learn to kick...
    Or we sign a poacher. Don't think Stockley or Washington are what you need if you have DJ and Kirk in your side.

Stockley is exactly what you need... I'd put money on him scoring 10+ headed goals this season
    Wyke managed 12 headed goals in the league last season for Sunderland, so 10 for Stockley could definitely happen. 
  • Options
    Dave Rudd said:
    There is one attribute which Kirk possesses that I haven't seen mentioned yet ... he will get kicked up in the air by some of the 'industrial strength' defenders who populate League 1.

Goals? Assists?  Who cares?

Playing against ten men?  Oh yes.
    Interestingly, Pratley, Forster-Caskey, Gunter and even Bogle drew more fouls from opposition players last season than Kirk! Maybe that says more about our ability to be shithouses than a weakness in Kirk's to draw fouls. 

• Options
    Game changer of a singing. It’s the sort of signing that encourages other players to come and be part of the project. 
    He looks a good player, and I think he will do very well for us, but that is laughable. We’ve signed Charlie Kirk from Crewe, not Lionel Messi.
  • Options
    CAFCsayer said:
    EastStand said:
    WSS said:

Earlier in the thread someone posted that he cuts inside and drives at defenders more than making crosses. He plays the ball on the ground rather than in the air.

Will he really combine well with Stockley? I agree with golfie.
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    arny23394 said:
    Game changer of a singing. It’s the sort of signing that encourages other players to come and be part of the project. 
    He looks a good player, and I think he will do very well for us, but that is laughable. We’ve signed Charlie Kirk from Crewe, not Lionel Messi.
    It’s all relative isn’t it, we’ve signed a top player from a league rival which makes our team significantly stronger. That sort of business makes us more likely to win games, which makes good players more inclined to sign for us. 

We’re a League One club who has signed one of the best players in League One, it doesn’t have to be the greatest player of all time for other League One stakeholders to take notice.
  • Options
    CAFCsayer said:
    EastStand said:
    WSS said:

Earlier in the thread someone posted that he cuts inside and drives at defenders more than making crosses. He plays the ball on the ground rather than in the air.

But can go on the outside and is very good at crossing with his left foot.
  • Options
    CAFCsayer said:
    EastStand said:
    WSS said:

Just because he's played it along the ground before doesn't mean he can't lift the ball off the floor - saw him do it a fair few times in the highlight reel. Stockley also said he'd like to show he can use his feet as well as his noggin when signing/in pre-season chat 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    CAFCsayer said:
    EastStand said:
    WSS said:

Stockley scored a great goal against Lincoln last season with his left foot from a low driving cross. So if Kirk attacks the ball in that way, then can see Stockley scoring a lot with his feet. Rest of his goals can come from headers, if we can get some decent corners and free kicks to him. 
  • Options
    CAFCsayer said:
    EastStand said:
    WSS said:

Stockley scored a great goal against Lincoln last season with his left foot from a low driving cross. So if Kirk attacks the ball in that way, then can see Stockley scoring a lot with his feet. Rest of his goals can come from headers, if we can get some decent corners and free kicks to him. 
    Yeah, Stockley is at risk of becoming stuck in a logic loop - he scored a lot of headed goals because a lot of passes/crosses were aimed at his head last season. Give him a chance to actually use his feet and I think he'll get a fair few from lower crosses too.
  • Options
    My daughter's fiance played against him last year and really rates him, so 🤞 he will be a great asset. 
    Who does your daughter's fiancé play for?

Please don't say the Lamb and Lark!
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    I’m sure this has already been linked, but really enjoyed reading this blog from a Crewe fan about Kirk’s strengths/weaknesses and how he could fit at Charlton 

He’ll slot it nicely on the left wing of Charlton’s favoured 433 formation. Still, Charlton would do well to get a mobile left back behind him who is willing to overlap and provide width on the left; Chris Gunter (for all his strengths) isn’t this.
    Fullbacks definitely our biggest weakness on both sides, especially the inability and/or reluctance to get forward.

If we play two wingers, and have attacking full backs it doesn't take a Pro licence coach to work out you need to have good covering when/ if the pass breaks down and we are hit in transition. 
  • Options
    thenewbie said:
    CAFCsayer said:
    EastStand said:
    WSS said:

Yeah, Stockley is at risk of becoming stuck in a logic loop - he scored a lot of headed goals because a lot of passes/crosses were aimed at his head last season. Give him a chance to actually use his feet and I think he'll get a fair few from lower crosses too.

The important stat is the Goal Jayden lashed in last season with his foot (only non headed goal by JS ?) Was assisted by Aneke who was just yards away from him after coming on as sub and both strikers were on edge of Six yard box.
  • Options
    CAFCsayer said:
    EastStand said:
    WSS said:

Quite a few clips of him cutting inside and floating balls into the box
  • Options
    CAFCsayer said:
    EastStand said:
    WSS said:

It’s why I posted yesterday that to get the best out of Kirk we’ll need players attacking the six yard box. 
  • Options
    Some cracking play on that video, this lad looks quality. Exactly what we need for the system Nige wants to play. Still need a few bodies as the squad is thin, but feels like it's coming together.