Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlie Kirk (p56 - left by mutual consent)

Comments

• Options
    Now we know why we’ve suffered such a managerial merry go round. “Every time” he did well we had to change! No wonder the owners wanted rid, he must have been costing them a fortune in pay outs!
  • Options
    Don't really see what he's said that's overly wrong? It's no different to anything we've heard over the past few years from any ex player or manager even. 

Was it all the clubs fault , of course not but I can understand why as a player that constant churn of managers isn't helpful if you're already struggling to settle off the field. 
  • Options
    For whatever reason he obviously never felt happy at Charlton and that showed in his performance. 
    He never seemed to be committed or give 100% when he played. 
    Probably better for him and Charlton if he goes back up North where he feels at home. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Charlie never wanted to be here in the first place, he only moved here for the life changing cheque

Honestly wouldn't mind if we heard that from him instead, but we wont because it could hurt his "career" in the long run.

Its not like he was the only one who went through so many Managerial changes, why did others continue to be picked; e.g. Dobson? - Only thing I will agree with him, is the statement about the clubs direction, we have been a mess for a few years, so whilst we want to go upwards, we don't seem to know how to get there (Maybe we do now with Nathan Jones in charge).

He certainly didn't leave because of the instability, he left because he was paid to go away.
  • Options
    Anyone see the wonderful interview with our Charlie in the Football League paper yesterday?

Apparently, Charlie says he's been given a lift returning to an environment where he feels loved!

As for us horrid Charlton he says "I had 5 managers and 2 owners at Charlton and every time I thought I was doing well, the manager would get sacked and you'd have to start over again."

But here's the best bit. "I feel at the moment they're a club who don't know where they want to go or, if they do know, how to get there. I left at the right time because  I need stability which is what I feel at Crewe."

Well Charlie I have to say the club does know where it wants to go. It wants to go forward without people like you!

I take it he did not thank Charlton for the salary increase?
    Or his pay-off to go.
  • Options
    Kirk was quite an impressive player in a way in that even when he was actually doing quite well his demeanour on the pitch made it look like he wasn't bothered and his overall contribution wasn't enough. I would say he did actually have one decentish period for us under Garner. He either played left wing in a 433 that wasn't working or up front in a 442 and in 1,189 minutes he scored 3 and assisted 4. That's him involved in a goal every 170 minutes, which is a goal involvement every two games. That's really not bad at all. He ended up our 7th highest league goalscorer and 4th highest league assister despite only playing half a season. Part of that is just reflective of how crap we were and his goal involvements weren't enough to offset his lack of other qualities - same with Jack Payne - but you could see how he'd look at that period and feel like he'd done alright under that manager.

Other than that though he's confused. He was terrible under Adkins (410 league mins, 1 assist), barely got a kick under Jackson (39 league mins) and then wasn't wanted at all by Holden either (13 league minutes in 22/23 and 13 in 23/24). He got 8 league minutes for Appleton before getting chucked so I'm not really sure where he's getting the 'every time I started doing well' line from but I guess he's got to big himself up. I could understand him being disappointed after Garner but it's not like the team were doing well with him contributing, we were terrible.He's not wrong about us being a confused mess of a club though
    Kudos for a great exposè of his comments.
  • Options
    edited March 19
    The only time I ever saw him animated on the pitch was during a pre-season game at Dartford, where he was furious at a misplaced pass to him!
  • Options
    I find his persona and footballing ability as solid as his hair and boots.
  • Options
    NabySarr said:
    He almost scored on Saturday but for an amazing save from the Harrogate keeper 

https://x.com/harrogatetown/status/1759171148732883368?s=46&t=mEmS51nyCqmemhJshcDkBA
    Kirk in nearly scores drama 😂
  • Options
    Thought he was so shit because he was suffering mental ill health? 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Kirk was quite an impressive player in a way in that even when he was actually doing quite well his demeanour on the pitch made it look like he wasn't bothered and his overall contribution wasn't enough. I would say he did actually have one decentish period for us under Garner. He either played left wing in a 433 that wasn't working or up front in a 442 and in 1,189 minutes he scored 3 and assisted 4. That's him involved in a goal every 170 minutes, which is a goal involvement every two games. That's really not bad at all. He ended up our 7th highest league goalscorer and 4th highest league assister despite only playing half a season. Part of that is just reflective of how crap we were and his goal involvements weren't enough to offset his lack of other qualities - same with Jack Payne - but you could see how he'd look at that period and feel like he'd done alright under that manager.

Other than that though he's confused. He was terrible under Adkins (410 league mins, 1 assist), barely got a kick under Jackson (39 league mins) and then wasn't wanted at all by Holden either (13 league minutes in 22/23 and 13 in 23/24). He got 8 league minutes for Appleton before getting chucked so I'm not really sure where he's getting the 'every time I started doing well' line from but I guess he's got to big himself up. I could understand him being disappointed after Garner but it's not like the team were doing well with him contributing, we were terrible.He's not wrong about us being a confused mess of a club though
    Yeah he had an alright spell in the team in Garner’s early season. But even then when he was supposedly ‘playing well’ he got dropped a few times because he offered nothing when he didn’t have the ball at his feet. If the only manager he looked alright for still ended up dropping him then I think the problem was more Kirk 

He’s a luxury player, which you need to have a really good team around in order to carry him. At league 1 level he’s not good enough to justify carrying 
  • Options
    edited March 19
    Gribbo said:

Don't use 'mental Health' as a convenience reason or if you think others have?
    Everyone has mental health and if enough things go wrong at the same time then individuals come under pressure and it dips low. Being sad with situations is normal, feeling sad from a loved ones death is normal.
    Being inert and unable to get up and move when sober after being active and a mover and shaker is a form of depression. CBT saved me and I don't mean Corey Blackett-Taylor!

Charlie had a bereavement with his Father which is about grief but many players from teens to late 30's have lost Parents, and Siblings during their careers and they were pleased to have football or another sport as an outlet. 
    James at man utd and Serena Williams with her sister's murder before a slam. Of course it wasn't an ideal start to his career at Charlton but that wasn't the reason he failed.

Charlie Kirk just couldn't settle and show any form over the whole period despite the odd assist and goal over his period at the club. 

CL members have already given examples of Charlie's poor time at Charlton under all the managers.
  • Options
    Gribbo said:

Everyone has mental health and if enough things go wrong at the same time then individuals come under pressure and it dips low. Being sad with situations is normal, feeling sad from a loved ones death is normal.
    Being inert and unable to get up and move when sober after being active and a mover and shaker is a form of depression. CBT saved me and I don't mean Corey Blackett-Taylor!

Charlie had a bereavement with his Father which is about grief but many players from teens to late 30's have lost Parents, and Siblings during their careers and they were pleased to have football or another sport as an outlet. 
    James at man utd and Serena Williams with her sister's murder before a slam. Of course it wasn't an ideal start to his career at Charlton but that wasn't the reason he failed.

Charlie Kirk just couldn't settle and show any form over the whole period despite the odd assist and goal over his period at the club. 

CL members have already given examples of Charlie's poor time at Charlton under all the managers.
    100% compassion for people who have genuine mental illness** and (obviously) with people who are going through any type of bereavement.

**My late dad was a paranoid schizophrenic and suffered chronic depression from the late 1970's until he passed away in 2022
  • Options
    edited March 19
    Gribbo said:
    Gribbo said:

100% compassion for people who have genuine mental illness** and (obviously) with people who are going through any type of bereavement.

**My late dad was a paranoid schizophrenic and suffered chronic depression from the late 1970's until he passed away in 2022

Gribbo, that is sad to hear and you will be aware of the minefield that your late Dad went through with Paranoid Schizophrenia and trying to have the correct medication so you are not a zombie but attempt to keep the worse of the hallucinations and delusional thoughts at bay.

This is a difficult multifaceted subject and not one for a thread about a footballer who didn't settle at a club or was up to standard.
  • Options
    Worthwhile remembering that there is allways someone worse off than you but that doesnt mean your problems arent real. Charlie no doubt suffered some problems because of his dad and it possibly, probably effected his performance.

All that said he Football is largely one of the true meritocricies left and if he isnt performing he isnt performing.
  • Options
    Only a booking is an improvement for Inniss.
  • Options
    Bless him!

Got a start today in the environment where he feels loved. Unfortunately, Crewe lost 3-0 at home to bottom of the table Forest Green and poor old Charlie got booked and substituted half way through the second half. 

And by the way, and probably needless to say, Ryan Inniss got booked for FG.
    Lol how many red and yellows for Inniss now ? Think he has two red and missed half the season ?